Thread: Failure advice

wannagrow is offline New Member

Failure advice

Hey guys just wondering whether people think going to failure on last set only is enough to fully fatigue the muscle.
    I live in the country and do not have access to a real gym. just a couple of benches , bars power racks and a ****load of weight. no spotter either.
    I find that i have to really warm up alot cause i don't want to bring back old work injuries.

I normally do for bench, for instance, warm up with just bar, 2 sets with 1 plate, 1 set with 2 plates then finish of with 1 set with just over 3 plates to failure.
    When i workout there is noone else around at all so i cannot get anyone to spot.

I find i do get progressively heavier wheights, but its hard to tell what size gains i'm getting.

Hooligan is offline Associate Member
    The way I warm up is to do 3 warm-up sets...(about to get Max-OT on ya) I find that with this warmup I have maximum power left for fatiguing sets...yet still am very prepared for them:

1st warmup set is a higher volume about 10 rep set with little-to-no weight...just get your muscles moving...

2nd warmup set is a little more weight about 40% of your target working weight...do about 4-5 reps...this is more muscle warmup / begins to acclimate the nerves that will be utilized

3rd warmup set is even more weight about 70% of your target working weight only do 1-2 reps...this set is to load the portion of the nervous system that will be used in the exercise...

NOTE: None of the warmup sets should be fatiguing at all...if you feel any burn in the muscle you're doing too many reps for that warmup set.

The target working weight I refer to is the weight that you would fail after doing 5-6 reps of. I believe all target weight sets should be done to complete failure...Hope this works for you! Best of luck bro.

wannagrow is offline New Member
    Hey bro, cheers for the reply.

Sounds like you warm up pretty much the same as me. except i have probably been doin less actual working sets.

When you talk about the fatigue sets, how many would you perform,

3 sets of the same weight to failure or maybe a 10, 8 , 6 to failure on all.

Just wondering.

jerseykid23 is offline Junior Member
    I read recently in "Research" section of Muscular Development that a recent study proved doing a final set to failure promotes growth hormone ...

Thread Information