Ryanc is offline New Member

How bad did I hurt myself?

Yesterday I was doing shrugs with the little shrug machine at the gym. I was getting lazy and I started using bad form, and all of a sudden I got this sharp pain in my back. It's about 8 inches down from my neck and it feels like it's on the right side of my spine. I've had pain there before from doing shrugs like an idiot, and forgot about it, and yesterday it hurt pretty bad. What do you think I did? I hope I didn't like slip a disc or something.

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Ive got it before when lifting real heavy for doing shrugs. It should go away pretty soon, it lasted a day or two for me.

ti1t is offline New Member
    See a massuse, have her rub your traps or the little muscles around it and you will be fine the next day... happens to me sometimes even if I use proper form.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanc
    Yesterday I was doing shrugs with the little shrug machine at the gym. I was getting lazy and I started using bad form, and all of a sudden I got this sharp pain in my back. It's about 8 inches down from my neck and it feels like it's on the right side of my spine. I've had pain there before from doing shrugs like an idiot, and forgot about it, and yesterday it hurt pretty bad. What do you think I did? I hope I didn't like slip a disc or something.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    happened to me a month ago. chances are you strained your lower trapezius. its a very annoying pain when you stretch your bac. it will dissaperar in 1-2 days.

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    since your form was sloppy and it was a very sharp pain, it sounds to me like you subluxated one of the lumbar vertabrae

you probably ended up rounding your back and those vertabrae slid off of their normal axis

if this is the case then there is no telling how bad you hurt yourself, chances are that if you are not in extremely-intense pain right now then a few adjustments will fix you up nicely. you should go see a chiropractor and have your back re-aligned
    Last edited by Bound for Muscle; 05-26-2004 at 11:56 PM.

Ron Swan is offline New Member
    I'll pinch a nerve or something in my right trap every couple of months. My right arm feels odd, but everything still works fine. It goes away in a few days.

It it goes away in a few days, you are o.k. If it doesn't go away, seek medical attention from a competent provider with experience in sports medicine.

Ryanc is offline New Member
    Thanks guys... it did go away in 1-2 days. I can tell its a LITTLE sore in the area now, but for the most part it's gone. I have to be more careful...

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    If you get it again I would definately go see a chiropractor. I did what Bound for Muscle stated (subluxated), and though the pain went away, it always came back. If it does it again, I would get to the chiro. the next day, that will give you a week for it to get "set" back in place (after the adjustment), before you hit it with shrugs again.

Thread Information