Bruce willis is offline Associate Member

working out stomach

i know abs wont show unless you have low bodyfat and that muscle uses fat as an energy source. Running will take the fat off all over the body but if you do sit ups will that help your stomach area become more muscular and burn more fat in that region or is that just a myth?

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Even if you have some bodyfat over the abs, doing ab workouts (especially weighted ones) will help the abs show more. Its the diet and cardio that burns the fat, not the situps, etc.

Bruce willis is offline Associate Member
    if you kept doing abs on a constant basis would it make your stomach move outward and make your chest look smaller?

MrDezel is offline Banned
    abs are a muscle group like any other.... Be sure not to overtrain them. Cardio and diet will make them show through in the end so make sure that is in check also.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce willis
    i know abs wont show unless you have low bodyfat and that muscle uses fat as an energy source. Running will take the fat off all over the body but if you do sit ups will that help your stomach area become more muscular and burn more fat in that region or is that just a myth?
    It's a myth. You can't lose fat in one area. Your best bet is morning cardio to drop the excess bf to get the ripped abs.

Galoot67 is offline Junior Member
    sorry but im a bit confused. I cant see my abs. I am doing lots of cardio weekly. So your saying that only the cardio and clean diet will burn the fat? Will crunches twice a week help?

Swellin Guest
    Cardio first thing on an empty stomach...clean up the diet....try weighted exercises for the abs...at least they will benefit your other lifts if you never even see your abs.

Galoot67 is offline Junior Member
    ok ill do that, thanks

dangit is offline Member
    I hardly ever do stomach excercises and my abs come out great when I diet down for a show.

Having good abs is totally fat related. Doing lots of ab workouts might help them stick out more, but you need to get rid of the fat first.

I have an ex that had never worked out in her life... a real couch potatoe, but she was a size 0 and had wicked abs since she has no fat at all.

dangit is offline Member
    Also I see tons of people at my gym spend like 1/2 hour almost every day on ab workouts and not really get results. If I were them, then I'd use that time more efficiently and do cardio. Their abs would come out way faster since they'd be targeting their fat.

Thread Information