Thread: Muscle Sorness

Bouncer1982 is offline Associate Member

Unhappy Muscle Sorness

Just wondering how long muscle sorness effects people after a big session at the gym I am normally sore 3-4 days and it effects my other body parts, am I doing anything wrong which is causing this or does everybody go through this type of pain.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Your not doing anything wrong. The muscle soreness is a great sign. But dont expect to be sore around every body part u train. Sometime u wont get as sore or get sore at all. This doesnt neceesrely mean ur doing something wrong. I usuallyget muscle soreness the next day as soon as I wake up, and then the day after that my soreness gets worse and start goin down day 3.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    By the way, a shock to your muscles will cause this pain.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    your good, it will dissipitate in 2-3 days.

Bouncer1982 is offline Associate Member
    Thanks Guys for the help, glad i'm still on track I thought I was doing more harm than good.

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    It is a general misconception that muscle soarness is caused by lactic acid. In all actuality, muscle soarness is caused by microscopic tears in the muscle tissue itself. It takes days to heal properly depending on the muscle and how much blood flow the muscles recieve.

Darkness is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdawg21
    It is a general misconception that muscle soarness is caused by lactic acid. In all actuality, muscle soarness is caused by microscopic tears in the muscle tissue itself. It takes days to heal properly depending on the muscle and how much blood flow the muscles recieve.
    Exactly, thats what makes muscle grow, when you rest.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdawg21
    This is true if you are going heavy or especially when you are doing heavy negatives. However, if a newbie is doing 10 set of 20 with 50% 1RM, his soreness will be primarily from lactic acid.

Soreness differs from person to person. Some people recover quickly, others not so quickly. My legs take three days to recover, but I have a very sadistic leg work out, my biceps are sore only after a break, even if I do forced reps.

I use soreness to guage if a change in my workout is working-- if it hurts, I am using fiber that I don't normally get to and have cause microtears.

Also bear in mind that there is good pain (dull, driving) and bad pain (sharp, tearing). Everyone that lifts likes pain (some may not know it or admit it, but they do.) No pain, no gain, but if you have bad pain, you are SOL and will have no gains. Learn the difference. Listen to your body. It is really smart (but lazy). You gotta keep tricking it or you get in a rut (no pain) but you gotta listen so you don't hurt yourself.

savagebeast is offline New Member
    One other thing: pain that lasts 48 or longer is generally referred to as DOMS (delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). The culprit of DOMS is the eccentric contraction portion of the lift cycle (aka. the negative portion). This is not to say you're perform heavy negative training, it's just that in order to lift a weight through a full ROM you will complete a "negative" contraction. Therefore, if your weight is heavy enough you may be sore 2-3 days later...

qccat is offline Associate Member
    are you supplementing? 3 and 4 days can be normal when you just start back working out. Soreness is def a good sign, but you want to be able to recover so you can get back in the gym b/c working out those sore muscles isnt such a good idea. good luck man

VIXI is offline Female Member
    I never get sore until the second day out...usually lasts about a day...except my shoulders...that soreness nags me for at least three days...have some tightness issues there

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    i get soreness when i do squats, nothing else really does it to me like squats, i love it though especially after ur done ,going down fights of stairs and it feels like your legs are gonna go out from underneath you...

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    Like Gear, said, plain and simple...don't expect to be sore after every workout...and you will get sore if you shock new muscle groups. Nicley said.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I never, ever get sore!. Some people might say its because I'm not working heavy or intense enough, but I'm presently 270lbs and no fatty!. I put it down to my attactive lifestyle outside the gym, plus my kickboxing and Judo keeping me supple.

I get fatigued muscles, and some cramps, thats about it. If I've a fight coming up I'll just cutback on my lifting and won't go to failure with any lifts.

Beernutz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LilVito469
    i get soreness when i do squats, nothing else really does it to me like squats, i love it though especially after ur done ,going down fights of stairs and it feels like your legs are gonna go out from underneath you...
    i once fell down the gym stairs when leaving after a heavy squat day with leg extention supersets. lol.. i took one step and my leg just buckled on me and i fell to my knees...lol..i can look back and laugh now however it was embarassing at the time.

Kaine is offline New Member
    squats are definatly the worst. When I first started doin em, I couldnt sit down for a week, I just kinda...fell down... a lot. I'm just glad I hurt my knee so I dont have to do em anymore

Also, maybe this is just a rumor, but doesnt drinking a lot of water during the workout help to make it so your not as sore afterwards?

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    My secret besides eating properly and drinking loads of water is to take some Ibuprofen before bed even if I am not sore yet. It seems to help with the inflamation and pain the next day. (I did not say it was a great secret.)

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    With the water thing. I drink loads of water during workouts and is always sore to the point where i feel it for 2-3 days.

I have also been told that ibeprofen inhibits protein synthesis

Thread Information