liftordie is offline New Member

carbs before a workout!!!!?

Today you read everywhere that taking carbs before a workout will benifit you. If I take carbs before my workout I will not release GH. I think to myself what is better GH or carbs??! Why is it that im reading everywhere to take carbs before my workout? There has to be something that im missing....
    peace,
    liftordie

whiteyk is offline Pimp in Training
    you need carbs because you use them for energy. With out them your body will break down muscle.

Yes, I realize that. My prework out meal is 2 hours before I workout and I take in 80g of carbs. I dont understand the science behind taking then right before your workout.

whiteyk is offline Pimp in Training
    well, if you take high glycemic carbs right before it should give you a boost of energy

sore24/7 is offline Associate Member
    If i dont mess with tons of carbs before a workout i feel sluggish and weak the whole time. I personally can't workout without them period.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    just dont have your meal right before you workout as it will not be directly beneficial for your workout. i usually have mine 3 hours before as opposed to 2 so i can reap the immdiate benefits of that meal.

eggplant is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteyk
    well, if you take high glycemic carbs right before it should give you a boost of energy

i shall disagree with this..taking carbs especially high glycemic ones right before a workout will leave you sluggish and tired due to the sudden surge of insulin caused by the carbs. taking carbs before a workout does nothing to you..your body will not use them for energy unless carbs are taken 6 hrs prior to lifting.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by eggplant
    i shall disagree with this..taking carbs especially high glycemic ones right before a workout will leave you sluggish and tired due to the sudden surge of insulin caused by the carbs. taking carbs before a workout does nothing to you..your body will not use them for energy unless carbs are taken 6 hrs prior to lifting.

i agree. having a meal before working out has no imediate benefits as your body will not have time to digest the food and utilize the nutrients for your workout.

Darkness is offline Member
    Another thing that was told to me by my doc was that eating before workout will allocate a lot of blood to the gut and you'll feel less energetic due to the lack of blood flow to the muscles!

Darkness exactly. Arnold was famous for working out on a empty stomach. His theroy was when you dont have food in your small intestine to digest then more blood and nutrients can be pumped into your muscles.

bjayg is offline Member
    i only have a protein shake before my workout. i get the carbs after.

qccat is offline Associate Member
    I like to have a protein shake before my workout with a few carbs and about a liter of water. I also take in some high glycemic carbs to help absorb creatine. Overdoing that will make you sluggish though

i also try to have a protein shake before a workout, a couple hard boiled eggs too if i've made some

Thread Information