radar1234 is offline Member

weightbelts good/bad?

i lift heavy but dont want to rely on a belt i want to keep my core strength
    can i use for deadlifts

bubbathegut is offline Member
    i have read that belts are not needed if your back and abs are strong, but can be used sparingly for superheavy weight just as a precaution...

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    i dont use one even when i max out. just build some strong abs and lower back, strict form and you will be ok. no belts for deads either.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    Used to use them for squats and deads. Now I don't use anything and am lifting heavier. Prefer without because it keeps the back and abs strong. Keeps my form better since I do not rely on a belt to keep me in place.

I used to wear a belt when i first started lifting a couple years ago. As the years went on i quit using it, don't really know why, but it feels like my back gets a workout like none ever before.

IMO if your maxing out, take precaution. If someone says you couldn't have done that weight without that belt then take it off and beat them with it. If its good enough for professional powerlifters,then its good enough for me.

dangit is offline Member
    I used to use a belt all the time, but then stoped a couple of years ago. I never use a belt now. I don't even know were my belt is.

I do very heavy squats and deads and don't find that I need it now. I did have to start training light again for a while to get the rest of my up to par.

I have less probs with my lower back now that I don't use a belt. I have an old training partner that even uses a belt for arm workouts and always complains about back problems.

I think that unless you're squatting 800lbs, then you don't really need a belt if you use proper form. If you can't, then maybe lowering the weight and learning proper form is the best thing to do.

I felt like a wimp when I did it, but I'm sure glad I did now.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    IMO a belt becomes a crutch, my coaches in high school used to make us use them for squats. Your better off not using one cuz you will build stronger ab's and lower back.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i use to use one and now i never do i hate them.

Thread Information