pspcs83 is offline Junior Member

chest-cables or dumbells

Hey everyone.

I have a question. What are your thoughts on doing a chest workout with cables as opposed to a chest workout with dumbells.

JayPee is offline Junior Member
    dumbells bro hands down.

cables are good to add as an extra workout, or maybe just to switch it up once in a while. But there arent many things u can do as far as cables other than fly's and such for chest unless u have a resistance machine like the bow flex.

thats my .02

LM1332 Guest
    cables eh i do em once in a while when i feel it. But dumbells is my way of training

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Dumbells bro, use heavy FREE weights to build muscle, if you are trying to shape and tone a muscle group then I would use cables or machines, but for anything else free weights all the way.

Darkness is offline Member
    The only time I use cables is for the flys. Its a lot better than doing dumbel fly because you get resistance all the way through. But besides that, everything is free weights, barbel and dumbel rock the world!

MrDezel is offline Banned
    Cables are good to sculpt out muscles but for overall size I would say use HEAVY dumbbells and barbells. Only way to really stimulate muscle growth is through heavy ass weights I feel.

About the only thing I use cables for is to do crossovers from the bottom.

se11 is offline Associate Member
    dumbless are definatley better than cables. cabels are good too, but twords the end of the workout

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    read an article on dexter jackson, given some of the articles are ghost written, he said he sees too many people doing cables over dumbells and he doesnt understand why. he said you should be able to do 315 10x on bench before even thinking of doing cables. you dont have enough meat on chest.

Rictor33 is offline Associate Member
    I use both for sculpting types of exercise. Nothing replaces incline db press or flat bb press. I usually do the cables from waist to lower chest to help sculpt my lower chest and I have noticed newfound results from it. I also do incline/flat flyes with low weight and focus on contraction.

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    I like dumbells. I use cables at the end of my training day

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    you can start to swap one for the other when you are plateauing. changing things will spicen up things and thats always good for growth.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    I find that it is a mind game. If you are able to get pumped for cables, then you will probably see better results than from dumbbells. On the other hand, if dumbbells get your intensity flowing then you will benefit from those the most. I have seen some dudes get big from a freaking bowflex while the same scrawnies wiener in and out of the gym without any improvement.
    I have to whore around with my exercises or I get bored and my gains start to wane. A mental edge is very valuable when you get into the upper levels of lifting.

ScooterBoy is offline Junior Member
    Another good method is use a cambered bar with 1-2 2x4boards on your chest when doing bench. That way you get a little more stretch than a normal bench. The boards allow you to go heavier without worrying about injurying yourself. a camber bar by itself would tear me in half

Thread Information