crazle43764 is offline Associate Member

behind neck presses

Ok the other day i was doin seated military presses to the front and midway through my sets i just wanted to try some behind the neck presses, let me tell you that my shoulders havent been this sore in a long time. Also it seemed like a more natural movement for me but most ppl say its terrible on your rotator cuffs But I feel totally comfortable with them. So I was just wanting to know what your guys opinions on this are?

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I never do them, bad on your rotor cuffs. you get no more benefit from doing them behind the neck if you were to do them in front. You're just going t end up creating problems for you later on in life
    abstrack@protonmail.com

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Yeah dude, they are really bad for rotator cuffs.

I also don't do 'em anymore... Since I stopped all "behind the neck" work, all my shoulder rotator joint problems have magically gone away.

Just a word to the wise

Red

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Nothing should go behind your head, pulldowns, presses, and heavy french presses. My chiropractor explaine it like this, the human body was designed to work and pressing something behind the head is unnatural why would you in a natural setting do that your not as strong and it would be combersome

Usually i do dumbell presses but i figured i give them a try once in awhile to see how they feel. Thanks for the input guys

MrDezel is offline Banned
    I have heard many many things on if it is good or bad for your rotator cuffs and I gotta tell ya that it is all up to the indivdual person. If it hurts then don't do it. If it feels fine and you get good growth then do em!.. I like to do dumbbells the most so it all depends on what works for you the best!

mekler is offline Associate Member
    i personally dont do the behind the neck presses, but when i did do them i didnt go all the way down to my neck. i went more behind the back of my head which felt a lot better.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I try not to do military press with free weights anymore. I always end up with a major kink in my neck. I love that ISO lateral military press the gyms have. Nice fluid motion to it. Fvck the stabilizer muscles, Im not getting kinks in my neck that last for three days.

This is really weird but i can do more weight pressing dumbells then i can doing presses with a barbell....example: I can press the 90lb dumbells for 15 strict reps but if i was to take 180 on a barbell there aint no way in hello that i could do it 15 times

Thread Information