straps, pu**y shi** or not?

ok, i know that with straps u can do a sh** more weight than with out. i am not going to say its cheating cause most would say it isn't, i mean crap, AS to some is cheating and to some its like a little "helper" you know? anyways what do you all think about using straps? shrugs, rows, ive even seen ppl use them on bench and lat pull down...what yall think?

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    If you cant hold the weight, why bother. Then again, maybe some people have weak wrists and or arthretic hands.
    The way I look at it is: Who gives a shlt what other people think. You are in the gym for an hour. Once you leave, no one will remember you.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    I see no purpose for using them while benching.

However, they have a purpose. Some people may want to say it's cheating but am I going to make my lats suffer because I have a weak grip?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Of course - limiting your back strength to your forearm capabilities is pointless... you back is a large assortment opf major muscle groups - it needs big weights... loads that your forearms won't always be able to handle... bottomline. For the heavy, to falilure sets, you should support your grip strength.

Work your forearms/grip strength on their own time... but when its back day - pulverize those muscles! And don't limit the load based on the capability of a smaller muscle group...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    However, they have a purpose. Some people may want to say it's cheating but am I going to make my lats suffer because I have a weak grip?
    My point exactly. But having a weak grip is lack of proper grip/forearm training - not because of how you work your back muscles...

For a beginner though - I would probably suggest staying away from straps for the first year or so...

I meant the same thing you said. You said it more eloquently.

bubbathegut is offline Member
    this one guy at my gym uses straps for everything, i think for heavy weight they are needed sometimes to complete the sets...

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    If you don't use the straps you will build grip strength and won't need the stupid things. If you are having problems with grip at the heavy sets then use chalk, and do some assistance exercises for grip strength.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Powrlftr
    If you don't use the straps you will build grip strength and won't need the stupid things. If you are having problems with grip at the heavy sets then use chalk, and do some assistance exercises for grip strength.
    dont matter how much you think you will get your forarms stonger, you go do a heavy back day without straps, no matter what you wont be able to do all your exercises to the fullest without them, now if you like like a school girl and have light wt, sure, but if u man up and go all out, you cant. anyone who thinks straps are for pussies, dont know jack sh1t about lifting..

Quote Originally Posted by decadbal
    dont matter how much you think you will get your forarms stonger, you go do a heavy back day without straps, no matter what you wont be able to do all your exercises to the fullest without them, now if you like like a school girl and have light wt, sure, but if u man up and go all out, you cant. anyone who thinks straps are for pussies, dont know jack sh1t about lifting..
    True dat.

I actually started using straps for my shoulders / back workout 2 weeks ago (after many years of training without them). I find it helps me be a LOT stricter on my form and I get that little extra "pinch" out of the motion (specially for bent over rows!), and of course it allows a lot more weight.

Red

Darkness is offline Member
    Well I do chins with 2 45#'s at my waist, without straps I couldnt do as much cause my forearms would fatigue quick and then would blow my workout!

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    I saw a guy using straps for benchpress. The best that my brother and I could figure is that he is so strong that he is afraid that he will blast the weight up so powerfully that it will launch into the stratosphere.
    BTW- I only use straps for the heavy back lifts.

bubbathegut is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu'min
    I saw a guy using straps for benchpress. The best that my brother and I could figure is that he is so strong that he is afraid that he will blast the weight up so powerfully that it will launch into the stratosphere.
    BTW- I only use straps for the heavy back lifts.

haha, i think he works out at my gym too...

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I don't use them, but thats because its essential for me to have a vice like grip for my fighting, however what Warrior said is on the money. If my aim was solely to hit my back I'd wear them.

rebound is offline New Member
    I use them only for olympic lifts just because I want to push my legs to their limit and not be limited by the strength of my grip

Bcrown1 is offline Associate Member
    I say use them if needed, why should your back suffer because of your grip??

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Ditto. Also I find that it only makes a difference on the amount of weight I can use on really heavy deads. All the other exercises my grip is good to go. Grip is like neck IMO, it needs to be trained.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    I don't use them, but thats because its essential for me to have a vice like grip for my fighting, however what Warrior said is on the money. If my aim was solely to hit my back I'd wear them.

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    I use straps and I dare anyone to call me a p u s s y to my face. The way I see it is if you don't use straps then you obviously are not going heavy enough.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    If u're a BBer, then i would say yes to straps.
    If u're a PLer, then i would say no to straps.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I use them right now for dumbbell rows, anything over 95lbs and I need straps to help hold on. Also use for barbell shrugs. No way I could shrug the weight I am using without them.

Some of us older folks need to do everything possible to minimize, strains and sprains so we need to take every precaution so we can keep on lifting injury free.

Quote Originally Posted by decadbal
    I don't have any problem doing deads with 585 4x3, then shrugs 3x6 with 765, chalk is good enough. I've heard of guys having problems with grip strength b4, but they are usually deadlifting 8 or 900 lbs. I guess you could use straps if you're scared of ripping calluses off, or can't take the pain after you do. I guess my lats really aren't strong enough yet to really see any grip problem since I only use 315 for barbell rows and 6 plates for t-bar, so maybe I can see your point if you are bodybuilding.

It's the difference in reps bro!!!

I don't have any problem doing deads with 585 4x3, then shrugs 3x6 with 765, chalk is good enough. I've heard of guys having problems with grip strength b4, but they are usually deadlifting 8 or 900 lbs. I guess you could use straps if you're scared of ripping calluses off, or can't take the pain after you do. I guess my lats really aren't strong enough yet to really see any grip problem since I only use 315 for barbell rows and 6 plates for t-bar, so maybe I can see your point if you are bodybuilding.
    I go up to 585 x 10 reps on deads. However I have to wear straps at 505 cuz I do 12 to 15 reps. So the longer you hold the weight the more it will tear your hands up. Plus I get strains or wehat feels like tearing in my wrists when I do not use them. Last time I didn't have straps cuz I left them at home 505 brought blood. IMO the difference is the reps. Plus power lifters are generally bigger boned like a lineman on a football team. I also use them on hammer strength lat machine cuz I load it all the way for 15 reps. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69
    I go up to 585 x 10 reps on deads. However I have to wear straps at 505 cuz I do 12 to 15 reps. So the longer you hold the weight the more it will tear your hands up. Plus I get strains or wehat feels like tearing in my wrists when I do not use them. Last time I didn't have straps cuz I left them at home 505 brought blood. IMO the difference is the reps. Plus power lifters are generally bigger boned like a lineman on a football team. I also use them on hammer strength lat machine cuz I load it all the way for 15 reps. Peace
    That's true, I'm not really a high rep kinda guy, I consider 8 reps endurance work I bet you didn't have any chalk when you forgot your straps. Some years ago I was doing deads with my friend, but we forgot our chalk and he could barely get 3 out with 495 and he was doing 710 in competition.

No, I will have to try it.

That's true, I'm not really a high rep kinda guy, I consider 8 reps endurance work I bet you didn't have any chalk when you forgot your straps. Some years ago I was doing deads with my friend, but we forgot our chalk and he could barely get 3 out with 495 and he was doing 710 in competition.
    I wonder if they sell it at academy. Another thing where is a good place to get a powerlifter belt?? I tried 650 on squats last week and could not go all the way down. Felt like my back was gonna break. But maybe my lower back is to weak.

Basically, my personal belief is to work grip/forearm strength totally seperate from back, unless you are a beginner - working your back at the expense on your forearms makes little sense to me... but thats just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69
    I wonder if they sell it at academy. Another thing where is a good place to get a powerlifter belt?? I tried 650 on squats last week and could not go all the way down. Felt like my back was gonna break. But maybe my lower back is to weak.
    You can get chalk at a place that caters to rock climbers/mountaineers. I buy mine at EMS, (Eastern Mountain Sports), you can get a competition belt online. Like at http://www.titansupport.com/products/belts/belts.htm but these belts are overpriced if you ask me. Just check some powerlifting sites and you can get alot of links. My belt is made by Safe USA, I've had it for years and is in pretty good shape still.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    It's all about reps. That's why some one posted ealier if you're a bodybuilder (read as high reps) use the straps if your a power lifter (read low reps) don't use them.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I also have developed tendonitis at the the elbow where the forearm muscles for doing reverse wrist curls are inserted. I'm a mechanic and they are not getting proper rest to heal and probably never will unless I change jobs, so I have to use straps for every thing. I have not done reverse wrist curls in like two months and they still hurt grabbing heavy stuff at work. Or walking the three minutes from my parking lot to my locker room at work with my clean clothes and lunch in a bag, packed in side my jim bag. Thank goodness for the over the shoulder strap. Even typing this, tendons flare up.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Why would you let your hands fail before your back? Thats being a pussy. AandF and I use lifting hooks, theyre f-ing sweet. Thick velcro straps around your wrist and rubber coated hooks that never let go of the bar. You can let go of your hands and just use the hooks even.

OverDrive is offline Associate Member
    I agree it can weaken the grip but I love my straps.

Quake is offline Member
    Warrior has got it down! What sort of workout would I have without straps when I can only hold half the weight I shrug for any decent length of time without them. I've recently incorporated grips and reverse curl to strengthen forearms but they are a smaller muscle and are never going to manage what my traps or lats can!

rev911apollyon is offline Junior Member
    Need the straps for deadlifts and shrugs

Go heavy or Go home

Hooligan is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    I see no purpose for using them while benching.

First to say it---

*ding

Thread Information