KBZ
    KBZ is offline Associate Member

Training For Definition/Cuts/Striations. The Real Truth?

Okay, this will probably sound dumb, heck it sounds dumb to me and I'm the one asking it, but I need a little help getting cut....
    It seems like alot, especially lately, people have made some weird comments. Kids at my school will say it's weird how my muscles are full and hard, but not cut. Like it's like i have a fair bf% but you can't see as much definition as I should have. Like they tell me the muscles there, it's real hard, and I have the strength to back up the size, but I should be more defined.
    I've been cutting body fat, and doing a little lighter weight and more reps with perfect form, but I've lifted for bulking for so long. Do you guys think I just need to continue the cliche toning routine (higher reps, lower weight) and maybe I'll get some of the smaller fibers to come out or what?
    Maybe I just need to keep cutting and get my bf% in the single digits....

And also, I've read before that some pro's will continue to train hard even right up to a contest. Like Ronnie Coleman, albeit he has super genetics and super AS supply, made a remark one time in an interview saying something along the lines as, "lighter weights and higher reps are just for the p***ies that want to take a break from hard lifting, the idea is to get the muscle as BIG as possible, and the fat as LOW as possible".

jerseykid23 is offline Junior Member
    C'mon man. You should know that in order to get ripped, you have to eat a clean "cutting" diet (check the Diet Forum) and do cardio consistently...

KBZ
    KBZ is offline Associate Member
    oh yeah I do know that but I was wondering about the training part itself. My diet is very clean, and I've got the cardio right, I"m just talking about the actual lifting part.
    And I just got back from the gym and noticed a lot more veins starting to peak through after doing my bi workout. So I guess I shouldn't really worry and wait 'til I hit the single digits or whatever.
    I know the whole post sounds dumb, to me too, but let's start over.

Is it proven that high reps of lower weight is more toning? I know the longer endurance is supposed to recruit the thinner fibers, but what Ronnie Coleman was saying really intrigued me. No doubt about it he's ripped, if not the most ripped man on the entire planet, so maybe he's got something?

Bah, I'm getting ahead of myself and all that, I'll just stick to the higher rep training and then like every 3 weeks hit a hard repping week or something

doby48 is offline Female Member
    If you are looking for Lean Muscle Mass, check out the site listed below for some tips. You don't need to necessarily follow his workout but it will give you some good info anyways.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phano52.htm
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

JayDawg is offline Junior Member
    I am following Max-OT and they are big believers in lifting heavy all of the time. If you are trying to cut they suggest eating very clean and doing cardio 3-6 times per week at least 6-8 hours apart from lifting. I think a lot of their stuff makes sense and I have seen decent results.

znak is offline Senior Member
    I agree with everyone here. Cutting is diet and cardio.

Reduce the fat hiding the muscle and you will be cut. Period. This is a fricking no-brainer.

Look at skinny dudes, they always have great six packs, why? No fat to hide it. They do a couple reps and they are totally vascular and cut (but still skinny), why? No fat hiding the muscle.

Think about it.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    I don't remember where I read it. But I read that flexing the specific muscle group you are working that day (in between sets) helps to bring out definition. They said this is why you always saw Arnold posing/flexing between sets.

crazle43764 is offline Associate Member
    ive always thought that when u flex the muscles between sets it helps with the density of your muscles because your forcing more blood into them which in turn will carry more nutrients to the muscle and make them look fuller and harder

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    Along with what RockyX is saying, try to really squeeze the hell out of each contraction of the muscle. I noticed much greater cuts when I started doing this action. I must also agree with everyone about diet. If you are not in the single digits for bf then you will probably not see too much definition.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Defenition = strict dieting + correct training

You can bulk train and have a perfect cutting diet and still cut up. Food plays a big role in BB especially when wanting to rip up

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    Defenition = strict dieting + correct training

You can bulk train and have a perfect cutting diet and still cut up. Food plays a big role in BB especially when wanting to rip up
    Gear, Ilmost agree with you...

Definition = strict diet (less fat = more visability)

Correct training = well shaped muscle under what fat is there + lower risk of injury.

Ronnie Coleman seems to have his s#@ together and he argues that you can cut and bulk train at the same time. In fact, he argues that it is a more effective way to burn fat (science and Gear agree with him).

That's good enough for me.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Gear, Ilmost agree with you...

Ronnie Coleman seems to have his s#@ together and he argues that you can cut and bulk train at the same time. In fact, he argues that it is a more effective way to burn fat (science and Gear agree with him).
    And he's right.I keep my weights heavy right up to the competition.Before when i use to lower the weights i use to lose muscle and muscle fullness...I do however keep my reps high year-round.. only difference is that i keep the weight heavy also...My routine involves a LOT of force-reps and drop-sets which my coach attributes my rapid an consistent development to.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    There is no such thing as lifting to cut and lifting to bulk. Lifting heavy will make your muscles grow and have nothing to do with how much fat is covering those muscles. The only way to get rid of that fat is diet and cardio.

Yes, it's really that simple.

Thread Information