stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member

Strength = Size ?

This is the question; READ IT BEFORE SAYING ANYTHING

2 people both of same weight same height same everything... (twins?)
    lets say that theyve been training around 2 years and both ahve been following a bodybuilding routine till that time but now each decides to change
    first guy follows a bodybuilding routine and eats your standard 'bulking diet'
    second guy follows a powerlifting routine (one taht emphasizes strength in his three main lifts - squat, deadlift and bench

which guy gets bigger, faster? Reasons?

Thanks for your help!

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    i'm pretty sure you won't grow unless you eat, so unless the powerlifter is eating more than his maintenace kcals he wouldn't get much bigger.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Strength makes size if thats what your asking. but you also have to be smart about it and mix it up, so if i were to guess guy #1 would win it in my book. because although strength makes size, you need to also stimulate the muscles more than just power lifting, but its always great to incorporate power lifting for the basics

Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    Strength makes size if thats what your asking. but you also have to be smart about it and mix it up, so if i were to guess guy #1 would win it in my book. because although strength makes size, you need to also stimulate the muscles more than just power lifting, but its always great to incorporate power lifting for the basics
    right

but if we ook at the average powerlifter (fat aside) these guys are just plain big

...?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    pl'rs dont train for size.. as that is a hinderance to them, STRONGMEN do they need the size to move shit.. hard to move/pull something as fast as ur opponent when he has 120lbs on ya... lil inertia never hurt either lol

BUT difference being.. PL'rs train their CNS! they train it to do the motion as fast/precise and efficiently as possible having their neurons in their muscles fire in proper sequence to do the lift w/ as lil effort as possible. they arent just training for SIZE. sure extra muscle helps but doing the lift properly is huge part as well as just PRACTICING.. think bout pitching .. definetly not based on LBM lol its form/training everyone can have the same form but its the cns that makes the difference

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    right

but if we ook at the average powerlifter (fat aside) these guys are just plain big

...?
    Thats because like Tai said, they do not stimulate the smaller fibers and surrounding fibers around the primary muscle groups which they generally hit. by stimulating slow and fast twitch fibers you can grow at a much better pace than just stimulating fast twitch

Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    Thats because like Tai said, they do not stimulate the smaller fibers and surrounding fibers around the primary muscle groups which they generally hit. by stimulating slow and fast twitch fibers you can grow at a much better pace than just stimulating fast twitch

????? these power lifters are simulating all the musculature possible to move the weight, spindles, GTO's everything are coming into effect here, type Ia, II, etc, but powerlifters are getting gains especially in the first 8-10 weeks from neuromuscular means, the only thing different is the progressive overload of reps and sets, but taken into consideration the neuromuscular stengthening period has peaked, then you will see hypertrophy occur, and CSA will be directly linked to strength.

YupYup is offline Junior Member
    If the powerlifter isn't eating as clean and as much as the other guy, I believe the other guy would get bigger in the long run.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    This is the question; READ IT BEFORE SAYING ANYTHING

2 people both of same weight same height same everything... (twins?)
    lets say that theyve been training around 2 years and both ahve been following a bodybuilding routine till that time but now each decides to change
    first guy follows a bodybuilding routine and eats your standard 'bulking diet'
    second guy follows a powerlifting routine (one taht emphasizes strength in his three main lifts - squat, deadlift and bench

which guy gets bigger, faster? Reasons?

Thanks for your help!
    let me settle this quick

who gets bigger..answer the body builder, why because he is using hypertrophy for size

the powerlifter will get stronger and quicker because his training is functional, witht he purpose of becoming stronger. yes thepowerlifter will put on size BUT this is not the main focus, this is just an extra

if powerliting put on more muscle than BBing, all pro bbers than would only do powerlifting, which obviously is no the case.

Quote Originally Posted by YupYup
    If the powerlifter isn't eating as clean and as much as the other guy, I believe the other guy would get bigger in the long run.
    even if the powerlifter IS eating clean, he wont get biger than the guy who IS training for size and size only.

Quote Originally Posted by the hulkster
    ????? these power lifters are simulating all the musculature possible to move the weight, spindles, GTO's everything are coming into effect here, type Ia, II, etc, but powerlifters are getting gains especially in the first 8-10 weeks from neuromuscular means, the only thing different is the progressive overload of reps and sets, but taken into consideration the neuromuscular stengthening period has peaked, then you will see hypertrophy occur, and CSA will be directly linked to strength.
    hulkster is 100% correct, we strie to have maximum muscel recruitment from all fibers, even the small ones, the more fibers we can involve the bigger the lift

i cnat believe how fast the topic was settled

thanks guys!!!

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    i cnat believe how fast the topic was settled

thanks guys!!!

I can..(He goes by Doc. Sust)...

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Bravo!!!

violator1 is offline Associate Member
    wait wait wait!! so to get the best growth, is dantes the best choice for size? lets say you go 275 for 8 reps, then 275 for 5 reps, then 2275 for 3 reps. or would it be better to go 275 for 8 reps, then 235 for 8 reps, then 215 for 8 and so on? i'm trying to find the style that promote he fastest growth for the amount of time put into training. thanks fellas. didnt mean to spark anything up....

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    People train for their sport, just like doc said, if powerlifting promoted the most muscle growth all BB would do powerlifitng which is not the case...BB train for hypertrophy and too present themselves in the best way the can, powerlifter want to gain as much strength as they can, while OL want to get as much explosiveness and power as they can

Thread Information