elicotton is offline Associate Member

Unhappy Intense pumps...in my shins!

I do cardio twice daily, in ther AM I do a very brisk walk for 35-45 minutes. The past week or so my muscles around my shins are getting so pumped I can't walk. It's very painful and hinders me for hours afterward. It's hard to explain, but when this happens my ankles are like locked into place, with no range of motion.

I have found some info on the net regarding "Anterior Compartment Syndrome" and this sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing. Has anyone else ever experienced this? What did you do to deal with it?

BTW, I had this same problem a few years ago when I was jogging a lot. I quit for several years, started back walking around two years ago, never had the problem again until the last two weeks.

medic23 is offline Associate Member
    I have this same problem, I try to swim instead of run now.

Yeah, at night I do the stationary bike in my garage. Not walking/running just sux because my two sons enjoy going with me. In fact, the first thing I hear when I get home is "Can we do cardio?"! This is kinda like our father/son time everyday, great conversations. etc.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I would take you kids to a track for cardio. If you are at a track you can use interval training to train around your shin probs and the kids can keep running and do not need to stop because you do.

qccat is offline Associate Member
    its shin splints, they are a pain in the a**

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    i think a lot of ppl experience shin splints with the slower pace. When i used to get them in football, i started running in the grass instead of on the track cause its softer. i also traded my old nike shox for new ones cause the old ones were just worn out and had no more bounce, so maybe try new shoes with gel insoles........hope some of that helps man.

qccat is offline Associate Member
    yeah go with the grass, good idea....and yeah check those kicks

Appreciate the input guys, but i've had shin splints and this ain't them. Actually, according to Doc M, it is a related condition.

Imagine an extremely intense pump, like a Dbol pump which so engorges a muscle that you can't move. For instance, if your forearms were so pumped you couldn't move your wrists more than a half inch any direction. Plus a very intense burn, like when you work calves, except it's in the muscle that covers your shin.

Anyway, thanks for the input. You guys are great to help out.

medic23 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elicotton
    Appreciate the input guys, but i've had shin splints and this ain't them. Actually, according to Doc M, it is a related condition.

Imagine an extremely intense pump, like a Dbol pump which so engorges a muscle that you can't move. For instance, if your forearms were so pumped you couldn't move your wrists more than a half inch any direction. Plus a very intense burn, like when you work calves, except it's in the muscle that covers your shin.

Anyway, thanks for the input. You guys are great to help out.
    What did he say to do? I have this same problem.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    eli..If you could, forward the PM to medic I sent you so I don't have to retype it..Thanks!!

Doc M

animal-inside is offline Senior Member
    I forget what its called.. but i learned about it in my Injury care and prevention class... I think its what you have... basically you have too much fluid in your muscle fascia.. the best cure for it is to drian the fascia.. I had it when i was playin football in HS, but since we had no trainer and the coachs didn't know **** but thought they did, they told me it was shins splints and too suck it up and run anyways.. its a very severe and intense pain for sure. For imeadiate relive lay on your back and raise your feet as high over your heart as possible.. and ice whenever you get a chance. these will force blood out of your lower legs, which is causing your pain.

side note my proff. told us of a severe case where a guy had this condition but kept runing anyways... and his muscle fasica exlpoded inside his shin. solved his porblem but his shin muscle looks all f'ed now.

TNA
    TNA is offline New Member
    are you on aas right now? cause I had this problem while I was on once due to the pumps... felt like the muscle was going to explode off the shin veins were even bulging out

Quote Originally Posted by animal-inside
    I forget what its called.. but i learned about it in my Injury care and prevention class... I think its what you have... basically you have too much fluid in your muscle fascia.. the best cure for it is to drian the fascia.. I had it when i was playin football in HS, but since we had no trainer and the coachs didn't know **** but thought they did, they told me it was shins splints and too suck it up and run anyways.. its a very severe and intense pain for sure. For imeadiate relive lay on your back and raise your feet as high over your heart as possible.. and ice whenever you get a chance. these will force blood out of your lower legs, which is causing your pain.

side note my proff. told us of a severe case where a guy had this condition but kept runing anyways... and his muscle fasica exlpoded inside his shin. solved his porblem but his shin muscle looks all f'ed now.
    Exploding muscle facia? Thats messed up man! But I can imagine that happening because of the pressure build up...

I'm not currently on a cycle. I have been noticing that my ankles and the area right above my calf has been puffy and swolen lately. I sit at a desk most of the day and I guess maybe the fluids tend to pool? I've been elevating my feet for about 20 minutes everyday prior to my workouts even before this was happening.
    Last edited by elicotton; 06-06-2004 at 08:58 PM.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Happens to me when on a cycle... in the fronts of my shins. I think it is related to water retention.

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    Happens to me when on a cycle... in the fronts of my shins. I think it is related to water retention.
    I have the same problem...especially when i was on DBOL .

Natural Mac is offline Associate Member
    I have the same problem. If it is Compartment syndrome, I was told the only cure is surgery. They go in a cut away at the muscle facia, allowing the muscles to expand better.

Joshw111 is offline New Member
    i have compartment syndrome, and it sounds like you do as well.. the only way to tell is to have a test performed (not the funnest test either). They performed a fasciotomy on both legs and i still have problems. I would see a doctor because your problem will not go away, just get worse

davieric is offline Junior Member
    yea, i get the same thing everyday i walk to school, since I'm always late i have 2 walk at a fast pace, and i just get more and more pissed off as i walk cause of the pain. i just push through it, it's hell the couple days aft. my calf workout, I'm more concerned bout over training than the pain.

i guess when i get to class i can lay on my back and raise my legs up over my heart

Pete789 is offline Associate Member
    I get it too on EQ.Goes way in time.
    Pete

K.Biz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elicotton

Imagine an extremely intense pump, like a Dbol pump which so engorges a muscle that you can't move. For instance, if your forearms were so pumped you couldn't move your wrists more than a half inch any direction.
    i wish i could have that feelin on my chest days

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I get the same thing. I walk/jog till i can no longer then go to the machines to finish my cardio.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 12-08-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Thread Information