gabbei is offline Junior Member

Do Push Ups really work 4 ur pecs

Ive never really done push ups but i need to add something new to my chest and id ont work out as much as i should. will doing push ups keep the blood flowing in my chest to make it look pumped ?

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Yeah, sometimes i do pushups til failure at the end of my chest and tricep workout. Or sometimes i super sets flye's and pushups.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbei
    Ive never really done push ups but i need to add something new to my chest and id ont work out as much as i should. will doing push ups keep the blood flowing in my chest to make it look pumped ?
    I'm a firm believer in body weight exercises'. Yes push ups work, their great in fact.

TNA
    TNA is offline New Member
    Better than doing no chest exersices at least.
    Plus it is the basis for military training so there is def value to it.
    All depends on your goals really.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Remember Herschel Walker the running back. Allegedly he only did pushups and sittups throught highschool and never lifted. Seemed to work for him.

TNA
    TNA is offline New Member
    I read an article once on another NFL player that allegedly never picked up a weight... cant quite remember who it is... think it was shannon sharpe or maybe someone else from the broncos when they one the super bowl a few years back.

nsa
    I thought that was marshal faulk who did that?

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Some of them samoin hawian dudes are giants. Andre the giant is an example.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    I thought that was marshal faulk who did that?
    It was Herschel Walker actually.

Shannon Sharpe endorses EAS stuff, he's all over the weight pile.

~SC~

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Some of them samoin hawian dudes are giants. Andre the giant is an example.
    Andre the giant had a pituitary disease called Acromegaly. He was born in France.

thanks guys. im gonna do some and see if i see a difference.. every little bit helps

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    I only try them at the end of a set to failure, usually at the end of my workout. I know I had a good chest workout when I cant even pump out 10 of them.

thanks guys. im gonna do some and see if i see a difference.. every little bit helps

mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    Do them at the end of a chest workout after lifting heavier weights with fewer reps.....

LM1332 Guest
    do palms inside, palms outside, regular, and trianle push ups will give you a great pump

Darkness is offline Member
    Palms facing in you'll work the pecs more, if they face out, you'll be working the tris. Also, do them in between 2 chairs so that you can go deep. If you want more weight and less reps do them with one hand at a time. We do it like that in the corps.

nsa
    Yeah during the summer i liked to use them on cinder blocks, so i could get a deeper ROM.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness
    Palms facing in you'll work the pecs more, if they face out, you'll be working the tris. Also, do them in between 2 chairs so that you can go deep. If you want more weight and less reps do them with one hand at a time. We do it like that in the corps.
    When you do them one handed, do you keep your feet apart?
    Also, do you keep your chest paralel or do you lean over to the side doing the work?

djboots is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbei
    push ups work great try to do them every day, the best way to knock them out is when your watching TV i do them durring comercials after about an hour show you end up doing 100 or more. also herd they will increse your flat bench by 30lbs

I do 'em all the time while watching TV

Usually with my kid sitting on my back... he weighs 70lbs so the extra pounds works for me (plus he gets a kick out of it).

Red

MACHI is offline Associate Member
    Depending on how much you weigh, push-ups (still calisthenics though) will most likely build more mitochondrial mass within your muscle than myofibril, as calisthenics tend to do (also provided you do more than 12 reps on avg). Mitochondria compose 20-30% of your muscles' mass. No matter how you do them they will either work your pectoralis minor or major as a whole. Altering foot stance will do little to their developement. Most movement alterations in the kinetics/physiology of doing push-ups either make them harder (ie. one handed - also does only the pec on the side of that hand) by making your body lift more weight or involve more or less synergistic muscle groups due to muscle isolation.

Bottom line - push-ups are valuable because they tend to increase muscle mass by developing a different muscle component

Rictor33 is offline Associate Member
    Another NFL player that claims he doesn't weight train is Jamal Lewis, which is complete bull**** because his arms are like 20 inches and he 5'11 250 with single digit bodyfat. Maybe he used to and cut down on it?! Think of football, you are taught to lift weights when you are in god**** freshman in highschool when you join the football team. Most of these guys have been lifting since age 16.

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    I superset with pull ups 7 pullups 10 pushups 6 pullups 10 pushups 5 pullups and so on and so on

Thread Information