Coldog2g is offline Junior Member

questions on cardio

Im trying to lean up a little bit and was curious whats a good duration to do cardio and how fast on a treadmill? IS it good to alter the speeds? heatrate? thanks alot

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldog2g
    Im trying to lean up a little bit and was curious whats a good duration to do cardio and how fast on a treadmill? IS it good to alter the speeds? heatrate? thanks alot

you should do cardio on an empty stomach in the am. try aiming for 70% max hr for about 45 mins. do this 3-4 times a week, this done with good, clean diet is a sure recipe to get cut up. good luck.

BruceLeeWannabe is offline Junior Member
    is cardio after or before work out bad? I use to do it in the morning last year and i saw great results. But now I have work from 8am-4pm teaching elementary students for summer school and I just don't have time to do cardio before work, since i pick up some students myself. Is there anything i can do to see similar results as morning cardio?

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    Do the cardio after a good 45 minute weight session on minimal food intake if it comes to this.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    There is a window after lifting that your body is craving fast nutrients, ie post workout shake. Doing cardio after will mean you miss out on the huge benefits of this. Doing cardio before will mean that you have less calories for lifting and you will not be able to go intense and strong, missing out on the optimal benefits of your workout. It really comes down to how much do you truly want to have a ripped up muscular body. If you really want it, then go to bed earlier and get up earlier for cardio. If it is not that important, then I'd follow JDMSilviaSpecR's advice.

DJFactor is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu'min
    There is a window after lifting that your body is craving fast nutrients, ie post workout shake. Doing cardio after will mean you miss out on the huge benefits of this. Doing cardio before will mean that you have less calories for lifting and you will not be able to go intense and strong, missing out on the optimal benefits of your workout. It really comes down to how much do you truly want to have a ripped up muscular body. If you really want it, then go to bed earlier and get up earlier for cardio. If it is not that important, then I'd follow JDMSilviaSpecR's advice.
    In response to this, got a quick question: if i got up at 6 AM, did cardio from 6:45 to 7:30 on an empty stomach, then ate and went to work--THEN went back to the gym at 5:30 PM and lifted for an hour, and ate a high-protein meal after, would this cut me up pretty well?

i see your point totally about cardio before/after lifting. every time i play basketball before or after a workout i feel like i didnt gain anything from lifting the next day at all!!

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceLeeWannabe
    is cardio after or before work out bad? I use to do it in the morning last year and i saw great results. But now I have work from 8am-4pm teaching elementary students for summer school and I just don't have time to do cardio before work, since i pick up some students myself. Is there anything i can do to see similar results as morning cardio?
    I personally do my cardio after workouts..In my opinion, it's more effective than morning cardio seeing that muscle glycogen is more depleted then than it is upon awakening.Just remember NOT to ingest your post-workout shake till AFTER the cardio...as opposed to right after weight-training.You don't want to attempt to refuel the muscles before cardio cus you'll fail; the carbs'll get used for energy instead of bodyfat being broken down.. AND you won't get the glycogen replenishment.

So:
    1.)weight-train
    2.)follow that with a 30-45 minute cardio routine
    3.)ingest your post-work-out shake

supplement this with a clean diet which allows enough calories(12 calories per pound of LBM), and you'll be cool.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu'min
    Unless you're doing 2 hours of cardio there's no way for you to miss this post-training feeding 'window'

i personally advocate doing cardio post-training.It works for myself and all the other bodybuilders here.Also i believe that the 'window' is over-rated.Manytimes i've had weight-training followed by cardio followed by half-hour of posing...then my post-training meal.I've always maintained most of my muscle AND been shredded following this method... as have many guys here.

Thread Information