Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'

deadlift stance?

guys how wide do you guys have your feet apart when you deadlift? i use shoulder width feet slightly pointed out. i have seen people using very wide to narrow stance.m how do you guys do it? also is it better to make the weights touch the floor? thanks

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    I do a wide stance sumo style feet a little wider than shoulder width I let the weight hit the floor take 2 breaths and pull the weight

Quote Originally Posted by cpt steele
    I do a wide stance sumo style feet a little wider than shoulder width I let the weight hit the floor take 2 breaths and pull the weight
    thanks, i will experiment with the sumo stance. i just make the weight touch the floor, if i wait for two breaths i usually end up jerking the weight up and hurting my back!

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    Don't use Sumo style unless your goal is to put extra emphasis on your ham/glutes and you like having huge inner thighs. Some people like Sumo style because they can pull more that way.

I suggest the traditional stance, where your arms go to the outside of your legs. You can place your feet wherever you feel comfortable. Traditional stance hits your upper back alot more than Sumo.

Quote Originally Posted by Powrlftr
    Don't use Sumo style unless your goal is to put extra emphasis on your ham/glutes and you like having huge inner thighs. Some people like Sumo style because they can pull more that way.

I suggest the traditional stance, where your arms go to the outside of your legs. You can place your feet wherever you feel comfortable. Traditional stance hits your upper back alot more than Sumo.
    so technically the traditional would work lower back and sumo more on the legs? i want to empasize my glutes, hams as well though

I feel it on my inner thighs glutes and lower back. I have never done traditional stance so I cant comment

Oh and about you pulling your back its your form bro control the weight down and when it hits the floor keep your back nice and straight and think about moving the weight with you legs first. I look almost straight up which seems to keep my back nice and straight

decadbal is offline Banned
    i use a normal stance, and only let the wt touch down when im dietin, the rest of the time i go to right below my knees..

Quote Originally Posted by Powrlftr

I agree 100 %.

I always go ass to floor just like squat form

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    I let the weight just glance off the ground. Just a tap. I don't want to bounce it and I don't want to let off any tension from my muscles. Yet, I like the full range of motion. I use a regular stance as well. With this stance, I especially feel it in my entire middle back and glutes the next day. I work out in early afternoon for back day, so a nap is definately called for later in the day.

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    so technically the traditional would work lower back and sumo more on the legs? i want to empasize my glutes, hams as well though
    Both stances hit the lower back well, it's just that they each hit different secondary muscle groups. Personally I'd really rather not overdevelop my glutes and it's annoying when you have walk with your feet 6" apart because your inner thighs are so big, and you wear out the crotches of all your pants for the same reason.
    It's up to you tho, so experiment with both stances and do what you are most comfortable with.
    I used to use a very wide Sumo stances but I had to switch to trad. because Sumo was killing my bad knee. I lost 100 lbs on my max, but now I've gotten it all back and then some.

Aboot is offline Banned
    The majority of people can lift more sumo-style, but some taller guys seems to be able to lift more "traditional"-style. If you only care about the weight you can move and developing power, do sumo.

Thread Information