Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'

leg-press, squats question?

guys i have been having problems with my squat. i cannot seem to go lower than parallel and even reaching parallel is taxing on my back. will leg presses do the trick? i think i work out my legs better with this. i will then usually finish off with squats after leg presses to further fatigue my quads. i will do moderate weights 3 sets 10-12 reps. this ok?

eggplant is offline Member
    why would you wana go lower than parallel? this will kill your knees in the long run..

Quote Originally Posted by eggplant
    why would you wana go lower than parallel? this will kill your knees in the long run..
    im not saying i want to i just cant do it, even parallel is taxing. about lower than parallel most of the powerlifters and bodybuilders i know and eves some here on ar have said that the only way to go is ass to the floor, honestly thats nuts.

buffmike is offline Junior Member
    don't listen to any of the **** they are saying.....when they are getting knee replacements at 50 they will be sorry for even thinking of going that low. As for power lifters, going that low is necessary for thier sport.

Stick to your level, but keep your form good. Your back, knees, and hip flexors willl thank you for it.

IMO Yes I maybe a powerlifter,but not going deep on squats is the same as doing half presses on bench just because you think your going to hurt your elbows in the long run. Any seroius lifter/bobybuilder is running a high possibility of having problems later in life. Steroids and heavy lifting don't exactly present the perfect formula for eternal life.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    My knees actually got better when I started going below parallel. I had to drop weight to do it. I theorize that this gave my tendons and ligaments time to catch up with my leg muscles. Of course, I believe the smartest thing to do is listen to your body. Gone are the days when I listen to other people over what the responces and pains in my body tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mu'min
    My knees actually got better when I started going below parallel. I had to drop weight to do it. I theorize that this gave my tendons and ligaments time to catch up with my leg muscles. Of course, I believe the smartest thing to do is listen to your body. Gone are the days when I listen to other people over what the responces and pains in my body tell me.

I dropped around 100 pounds when I first started training azz to ground. It was well worth it. Now my legs feel stronger then ever. You definitly have to drop weight though.

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont have any luck with leg press I always hurt myself. You may want to put hack squats in you w.o that will help teach you go to the bottom. The only time it is taxing on your knees is to let your knee go past your toes.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I've got 2 bulging discs in my lower back so I can't do squats I just work harder on the presses and other machines.

qccat is offline Associate Member
    if you get your technique in check, butt back, knees out, and do it all right...going to parallel is the way the exercise is meant to be done. Those guys who hop in the racks and stand there and dip down a little bit with the bar on their back make me laugh. if you are gonna squat, then squat. Drop down, do it right and youll be fine. Leg presses are great but will never replace squats.

i guess i have to lower the weight im using, maybe thats the reason why i cant go too low.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qccat
    if you get your technique in check, butt back, knees out, and do it all right...going to parallel is the way the exercise is meant to be done. Those guys who hop in the racks and stand there and dip down a little bit with the bar on their back make me laugh. if you are gonna squat, then squat. Drop down, do it right and youll be fine. Leg presses are great but will never replace squats.
    My brother and I call those "curtsy squats." Take a bow gentlemen, your squats are weak.

betatest is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodtobeapimp
    I dropped around 100 pounds when I first started training azz to ground. It was well worth it. Now my legs feel stronger then ever. You definitly have to drop weight though.
    Bump to that. I've improved far more since I started squating low than I ever did going parallel. My lower back used to kill me when I squated in the past and for the longest time I couldn't figure out how to get in the right groove. Widening my stance a bit ( long legs ), keeping knees out, and lowering the weight helped a ton. I also did box squats for a while to build up ham-glute strength, and good mornings to strengthen the lower back. Used to hate squats, but can't get enough of them now.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Trap bar deadlifting is a good alternative to squatting.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu'min

Mine too...Deep squats are the way to go.I've been saying this for so long.Before deep squats i did leg-presses.I had a heriditary fluid accumulation problem in my knee...sometimes the joint slipped.When i started squatting, the deeper i squatted, the stronger the stabilising muscles and joint became and the less fluid accumulated.Eventually it all stopped.Haven't had knee problems since... and have great wheels to boot.

From a physiological standpoint... half-squats(a.k.a curtsy squats ..lol) are worse in that they re-direct much of the stress to the hip flexors..this results in muscular imbalances that can cause knee and hip injury.

Ever realise that guys that half-squat have turnip shaped thighs?Such development is caused by the re-direction of stress to the hip flexors

Quote Originally Posted by betatest
    Bump to that. I've improved far more since I started squating low than I ever did going parallel. My lower back used to kill me when I squated in the past and for the longest time I couldn't figure out how to get in the right groove. Widening my stance a bit ( long legs ), keeping knees out, and lowering the weight helped a ton. I also did box squats for a while to build up ham-glute strength, and good mornings to strengthen the lower back. Used to hate squats, but can't get enough of them now.
    what are box squats?

betatest is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    what are box squats?
    http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/boxsquat.html

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/box-squat.htm

Couple of links for you bro. I've been using my bench set to it's lowest decline angle as a substitute for a squat box. Works great for me. If you do a google search you'll find tons of info.

Thread Information