radar1234 is offline Member

want to up my bench press

i seem to be stuck at 365 for 2 iwant more!

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    I was stuck there for a while too on incline. I started getting stronger by adding more weight to decline and then incorporating incline and decline flys in a super-set fashion.

radar1234 is offline Member
    not into decline weighted dips
    but thanks for the input

bubbathegut is offline Member
    try negatives with about 50 pounds over max, u will prob need 2 spotters unless he is the hulk, then u will need one, lower weight using a five count then have your spotter pull it back up and do again, go to complete failure, worked wonders for me...

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    or if you have been consistent for months take a week of the weights totally.

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    or if you have been consistent for months take a week of the weights totally.

thats what i would do

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by diablo27185
    On monday i tried somethin a little different. I did 12 sets of my 1 rep max out. I'll find out next monday if that worked out. Its suppose to shock your muscles then you'll be able to do more than 1 rep of your max the next tie you lift. I'll try to find the artical i read that from.
    interesting. how long did you rest in between sets?

im not very sure what upped my bench. i was stuck at 285 there for a long while, but i started eating right and training harder than ever, now i am at 300 and going up from there. eat right, rest, and train hard, all i can say.

Gain some weight..Try powerlifting form (arched back +hit low), if your maxing for weight instead of muscle fatigue..
    Last edited by goodtobeapimp; 06-03-2004 at 11:06 AM.

MrDezel is offline Banned
    I like the idea of negatives. I have used it before and I feel like it has def helped my bench to some extent. Also switching between barbells and dumbbells could shock your muscles into some new growth.

SKiN is offline Member
    It would help if we knew what you were doing now.....

qccat is offline Associate Member
    take a break from bench for a couple weeks altogether, hit the dumbells hard, incline and flat. Focus on shoulders alot and triceps. Look into some powerlifting techniques as was said before...should work wonders

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by radar1234
    i seem to be stuck at 365 for 2 iwant more!
    Sometimes you need to take one step backwards to take two steps forward. My suggestion is to drop back down to 315 for 1. Your a big guy so I would suggest the 5X5 method for about 8 weeks or so.

Begin with 5 sets of 315 for 1 rep. Then strip it to 275 for 5 sets of 5 reps.

Next week do 5 sets of 325 for 1 rep... then strip to 285 for 5 sets of 5 reps.

After 8 weeks of this done with proper form and good nutrion and rest you should be up to 395 pounds for 5 singles.

What you are doing is returning back to a comfortable weight and slowly starting to increase it again - trust me... it works. After that return to a regular strength training program...
    Last edited by Warrior; 06-04-2004 at 08:29 PM.

se11 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diablo27185
    On monday i tried somethin a little different. I did 12 sets of my 1 rep max out. I'll find out next monday if that worked out. Its suppose to shock your muscles then you'll be able to do more than 1 rep of your max the next tie you lift. I'll try to find the artical i read that from.
    Let us know, cause that seems like something cool to try

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    You want a stronger bench... train for 3 weeks on a stability ball with a dumbell press. You wont grow from it, but you will get strong as soon as you hop back on the flat bench.

rebound is offline New Member
    use rubber band or chains they prepare you to push througth where you get stuck

SAUCYgator is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Sometimes you need to take one step backwards to take two steps forward. My suggestion is to drop back down to 315 for 1. Your a big guy so I would suggest the 5X5 method for about 8 weeks or so.

Begin with 5 sets of 315 for 1 rep. Then strip it to 275 for 5 sets of 5 reps.

Next week do 5 sets of 325 for 1 rep... then strip to 285 for 5 sets of 5 reps.

After 8 weeks of this done with proper form and good nutrion and rest you should be up to 395 pounds for 5 singles.

What you are doing is returning back to a comfortable weight and slowly starting to increase it again - trust me... it works. After that return to a regular strength training program...
    very interesting. i think im going to try this next chest work out. ill update on the progress

qccat is offline Associate Member
    good point rebound, if you have access to bands and chains, train with them at least once a week. It works on the speed of your press and explosion. Do something like 8 sets of 3 with a weight you can manage with great speed. called dynamic lifting

FLEX~Ottawa is offline Junior Member
    Yeah stop the benh for a couple of weeks sounds good do some dumbells incline flat and some flys that might help.

Thread Information