Quake is offline Member

Cool Give me Guns not Water Pistols!

I'm four months back into training after having three and a half years off due to illness. My progress is ok at present and I have got back to the strength I left off at in my biceps, triceps, chest and delts. My lats, traps and legs are still lagging, but coming along. The problem that sticks in my mind from when I was training was the size of my arms. I got them to 16 inches, but could not increase them above this, no matter what I did. Now I am back to the strength I was at previously I am waiting for them to stick again, chest was also a pain in the arse, but here it was strength, getting stuck at benching 220. My arm strength also stuck at curling 66 previously. While these are not amazing weights, I was not taking gear while I was at these sizes/weights. Any advice for me to stay ahead of the game and beat the sticking point before it comes?

Bouncer

Your names not down, you're not coming in!

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    What's your training split? Of course, we all have our limits (few of us are going to bench 900lbs) but often times sticking points or plateaus are due to overtraining. Are you providing yourself with enough rest between workouts?

Quake is offline Member

Cool

Lately, for arms, Preacher Curls have been favoured to start for about 5 - 7 sets, then it has been 3 sets of standing or sitting dumbbell curls followed by sets to failure of cable curls. I couldn't tell you what I was doing years ago, except that it would be different each week and usually consisted of three exercises for a total of 11 - 13 sets.

For chest lately, decline barbell press for 5 - 7 sets, flat bench press (barbell) for 4 - 8 sets, and occasionally flyes have beenthrown in on a superset. Years ago it would again be three exercises, different each week, for a total of 11 - 13 sets.

Bouncer

your name's not down, your not coming in!

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    How many days between your arm routine?

BTW, that's too many sets for my biceps, but that's me.

Quake is offline Member

Cool

I try to exercise each body part on the same day each week once a week, so each muscle does have a full weeks rest.

Bouncer

Your name's not down, you're not coming in!

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    How's your diet? If I know that I am training well and getting enough rest, then I look to the fuel that I am putting in my body. Difficulties usually result from a lacking in one of these three areas.

Quake is offline Member

Cool

Years ago it was all high protein, low carb, no fat. Now I'm hitting carbs a lot harder.

Thread Information