IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

rep range and muscle growth

I was just wondering if i am the only one here like me. for my chest and shoulders, 8-12 reps does nothing for me. I get my best size gains from the 2-3 rep range along wi th great stregnth gains too. My chest and delts simply dont seem torespond to anything over 7 reps

sensaispike is offline Member
    i hear ya man... that is a prob i think i have.... but at the same time i feal lazy if i only do 3-6, even if it is heavy weight...

mekler is offline Associate Member
    make sure you arent sacrificing your form just for high weight. make sure your form is perfect and keep those injuries away. i used to work out like you do but when i really started working on my form (after dropping a lot of weight) i started to get some nice gains. just a thought.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    It might be that you have greater intensity in the lower rep range. 8-12 might not being doing it for you because you need to go heavier and more intense. OR... just may be a genetic difference thing.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I only see results from higher reps (8-10) when I do them very slowely. I actually get better results doing very slow 8-10 reps that faster (casual pace) ~5 reps.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Homer 8 is offline Associate Member
    try lift 100% of the weight u can lift for 6 reps then drop it to 50% and rep to failure maybe this might suit u better it works for me

When i g io 8-10 reps the intensity is their. For my all out set, which is my first one, I always have a spotter take me past failure. With lower reps like 1-7, i am always adding reps or weight evry week orn 2no thing changes when doing the higher reps. I did the same weight for 9 reps for like 5 weeks in a row with no progression or regression

(my keyboard has been acting bizzar on this forum)

jonnytour is offline Member
    I usually target 6 reps+/- for growth...seems to work for me too...I agree with Mekler though: make sure your form is perfect and that you are feeling every rep. My theory has always been that higher reps are for cutting....I could be worng here and feel free to correct me if I am.

SolidMan is offline New Member
    I worked with a trainer about 12 years ago and he was a total stickler for form and doing 15 reps of everything. I kept trying this on my own for the past ten years and never made any gains in strenght or size, not to mention that it was downright boring! Since starting AS 8 weeks ago I have lowered the reps and raised the weight (my strength has improved unbelieveably, my old max weight is now for warm up), I am seeing more gains and look forward to working out. I still find thought that there are certain body parts (particurally biceps) where I seem to do better with lower weight and higher 10-12 reps. I really have to sacrifice form to do higher weights on biceps and never feel anything. Also I am beginning to wonder if I might do better lowering the weight on my Quad routine, I don't do heavy squats anymore as I am getting older and don't wanna take chances with my back so mostly use the sled, although I am up to seven plates on both sides I just don't feel the intensity that I do with a little less weight and slower reps. Any feedback appreciated.

I checked my tr4aining log, and i found that i do respond to up to 8 reps. Nothing compares to really heavy weight though. On the other hand, my quads 4really ble w up for me when i went f4r5om lower weight and 5-6 4r5eps to 10-12. My quads pile on st4r5ength f4r5om the 10-12 4r5ange

TRIBOL is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    I only see results from higher reps (8-10) when I do them very slowely. I actually get better results doing very slow 8-10 reps that faster (casual pace) ~5 reps.
    this has been the way i been working out for 2 - 3 months now and i wont switched to any other method as this works really well for me.

TrIBOL

homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member
    My chest responds to low rep/low volume/heavy weight (1-8 reps)....Shoulders just the opposite (10+reps)....which physiologically makes the most sense becuase of the fiber types that make up the muscles. Delts are more highly oxidative and are a much smaller muscle group (think of it like abs or calves)...Chest is a larger more powerful muscle with more fast twitch muscle fiber.

Quake is offline Member
    I'm with you on the Metallica mixture! The house that jack built, doesn't that song just make you think of being on juice?!?

"My body my temple,
    This temple it tilts,
    Step into the house that jack built....."

F***** Brilliant!

^Y& a metallica maybE the greatest music in the universe. I am 18 right now so i wont know about the roid thing for a few moRYears but def. looking forard to it

Anabolica is offline Associate Member
    IMO 4 to 6 reps is the "ideal" rep scheme for building muscle. It allows maximum muscle fiber overload and maximum muscle fiber recruitment. I also find it easier mentally, concentrating on 4-6 rather than say 10-12 therefore allowing you to generate maximum mental energy.

Though everyone here is different and some do actually find higher reps work for them I found that to be counter productive and recommend at least trying 4-6 rep range at some point.

Later

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anabolica
    IMO 4 to 6 reps is the "ideal" rep scheme for building muscle. It allows maximum muscle fiber overload and maximum muscle fiber recruitment. I also find it easier mentally, concentrating on 4-6 rather than say 10-12 therefore allowing you to generate maximum mental energy.

Though everyone here is different and some do actually find higher reps work for them I found that to be counter productive and recommend at least trying 4-6 rep range at some point.

Later
    you beat me to it anabolica...

Hooligan is offline Associate Member
    I find alternating b/w diff Rep Ranges / TUT / etc. works best for me. Sometimes I do 1 week high load low rep, 1 week higher volume / strict form. Or I do 3-4 week blocks of each. Gotta keep the body guessing.

Quake is offline Member
    Did both today, high rep medium/heavy weight midday, and then went back and did low rep heavy/very heavy weight this evening. My chest felt a lot bigger and more pumped in the evening than at midday. Have to see how future workouts go, it's fun being back at it again!

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    I see better size and strength gains in the low rep/very heavy weight. Bench shot up like 40 some odd pounds when i went real heavy for a few weeks.

Thread Information