Thread: is it true?

LilVito469 is offline Banned

is it true?

is it true that after you finish a routine for 6 weeks that you should take a weed off? a budy of mine insists that we should take a week off from hittin the gym, he keeps saying " not even ronnie coleman trains year round" "after a week you will come back stronger" i keept telling him were 18 we dont need to take a week off. is my buddy wrong or am I ?

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    bump...anyone?

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    I don't ever take a week off, I'll usually just take an extra day off every so often if I feel I need it. Basically I go on how I feel, my body tells me when it's time to back it off.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    If your lifts have stagnated and you feel lethargic in your workouts then take a week off. But if you still feel good, the weights going up etc there shouldnt be a problem. If you really want a week off but dont want to sacrifice training you could just train once that week doing a full body workout. (Not really an off week, but not really a full weeks training either)

mfenske is offline Member
    I currently take a week off after every 8 weeks. I am actually trying taking a week off after every 4 for a while. I feel that the break lets me maintain both higher intensity and mental focus. Previous to beginning taking breaks I hadn't taken time off in nearly 2 years. On that week that I return I am so gung ho to lift it's just awesome. Mark

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    No breaks here.

~SC~

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I'll take a week off here and there but they are never scheduled.

Listen to your body, it will tell you whether you need a week off or not.

D

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I never schedule a week off, however, I got sick and had some family business a few weeks ago that prevented me from working out for a week. When I came back all of my weights increased and I got past the roadblocks that I seemed to have run into. May have just hit the road blocks because I was getting sick, but either way I needed that week apparently.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    I never schedule a week off, however, I got sick and had some family business a few weeks ago that prevented me from working out for a week. When I came back all of my weights increased and I got past the roadblocks that I seemed to have run into. May have just hit the road blocks because I was getting sick, but either way I needed that week apparently.
    This is pretty much how I take a week off. I'll get sick so I'll wait to make sure that I am completely better before hitting the weights again. I have made the mistake of trying to go back too soon and getting even sicker. I am also going out of town for a week next week so that will be my week off there.

Quake is offline Member
    I use to train even when sick, y'know, sweat the illness out! Very rare I'd have a break or even feel like it. Maybe it would have helped, maybe it wouldn't have, maybe I'll try it this time around.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Try unloading a week if you don't want a week off. Significantly reduce your volume and intensity. Athletes do this when transitioning in periodization.

Thread Information