DwinsChamps is offline Associate Member

Total-Body vs. Split for the Ectomorph

Back in highschool, our football lifting routine was MWF total body: squats, deadlifts, rdl, hang cleans, bench, and jammer press. Tuesday and Thursday were plyo and med ball days.

I thought this workout (the Bigger Faster Stronger program) worked pretty decently, although I haven't tried anything else. Currently, my lacrosse team has a weak lifting regiment, but really a really good conditioning program. After enough bitching to the coach, we're now allowed to use our own lifting program.

As an athlete who has yet to reach lifting plateaus, what do you guys advise?? Full body workouts, or isolation days/splits?

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    I dont know much but I do no one thing. No matter what type of routine you choose, make sure you include squats and deadlifts. They are the core size and strength builders, for any sport and or athelete. Whatever you decide to do, do what you fell best is for you and not necessarily what the coach says. Majority of Highschool coaches dont know what the hell they are talking about anyway. Not all, but most. A good, solid 5x5 program might do you well.

DwinsChamps is offline Associate Member
    Whoady, i agree entirely on squats and deads. Doesn't it make sense for an athlete to be training with compound excercises that mimic moves done on the field?

URMaster is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DwinsChamps
    Whoady, i agree entirely on squats and deads. Doesn't it make sense for an athlete to be training with compound excercises that mimic moves done on the field?

Absolutely.

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DwinsChamps
    Sure does. Oh and I forgot to mention, if you can fit them in anywhere, you could throw in some cleans, and push presses. Just be careful not to where yourself out bro. Good luck.

Thread Information