Thread: intense reps?

Pure Power is offline Junior Member

intense reps?

I have been using a training program with extreme intensity in the rep range of 6 reps, I have heard this is the best for slow twitch recruitement and gains the best in strength thus the best in size. In the past I have used 3-6 warm up sets one work set to failure, then usualy a follow up set to develope a pump with a lighter weight and slightly different exercize. I find half deads and pull ups(for back) dips( for chest) and squats produce the best results for my growth. Do back on one day then legs a nd chest the other alternating lifting 3-4 days a week (ie. I feel I haven't recovered over the weekend much or don't get enough sleep I skip a day so my body can recover. Now, I have heard that working with a 12-16 rep range would help me out more and using a rest stop method instead of doing a follow up set would be more efficient and cause better growth by better muscle fiber recruitement. I have been working with the same weight for some time and I got my reps up to 8-10 but I find myself loosing breath and just feeling too spent to push it up even though my muscles feel like they could do a couple more. This happens especialy with squats and if I ever do dead from the floor I can forget about going past 6 reps no matter what the weight is. Could this be because I have trained in the 6 rep range for a couple years I'm now just set in a mold? I would like some feedback from people how they went from a low rep to higher rep range if they had any problems. I also have been practicing extreme streching and finds it makes sure I don't have any knee problems and I recouperate faster. Thanks for any input!

Latimus is offline Banned
    fast twitch

Yes.. Fast twitch. =D
    At the moment I have only my cell phone for surfing the net/reading the boards. That and working 70 hours a week have melted my brain, and I can't always see the entire post if I type something, thanks for pointing that out. But does anyone have any theories why I am not able to pass that 6-10 rep range?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    First of all, make sure you are properly breathing and well hydrated.

Second, strip some weight off. Lower the load and start using higher reps... it really that simple. Plus, I would disregard using a rest inbetween reps for awhile... for now, keep a focus on continous tension using a 4-0-2 cadence for your big movements (bench press, Mil Press, Squats) and 3-0-2 for smaller (Barbell Curls, Triceps Curls).

Your muscle make up is a genetic trait but each muscle group is predisposed to a different ratio of fast twitch/slow twitch with verying degrees inbetween. And working all the compents will push you along to greater gains in hypertrophy and strength.

You may benefit from do alternating days or a holistic type routine. By alternating I mean doing two different workouts for a muscle group, one rotation concentrate on explosiveness and power (rest 4-7 days then work endurance/rythmic) - then the other concentrate on the endurance and rythmic lifts (rest 2-5 days then do an explosive day). Using a wholistic approach you would giant set explosive (2-5 reps) with rythmic (10-15) and endurance (40 reps) in one set.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I assume you already know this, but I will write it anyways. You won't be able to do the same weight for 6 reps as you can for 15. So just adjust the intensity (amount of weight used) until it acheives your desired repetition max. Another reason is pretty much what you said. You have trained your body in the lower rep range, therefore, higher reps will create a different and more challenging stimilus. Depending on your goals, why do you want more reps??

Mainly I'm thinking about increasing the rep range to toss something new into the mix. Maybe get a little different pump and help give my tendons some time to catch up. Pluss I'm gaining but not at the rate I used to even after a break so I thought a new rep range might be the key to some tendon strength if that was in fact the reason for my slow gaining.

Thread Information