Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Question Question about Cardio training

I have started doing cardio the 1st thing in the morning, before breakfast. Should I also be lifting right after doing the cardio? Or should I lift 1st and then do my cardio.

I have tried it both ways this week and I just seem to be pooped before I can finish my workouts.

How do you guys do this routine?

ba-da-bump

Thumbs up

Originally posted by BaSe
    i always do cardio at end, but im tryin to gain, so i dont care if my cardio suffers, as long as my REAL workout isnt hurt lol
    Thanks BaSe ! Anyone else have an opinion?

gorilla is offline Associate Member
    i oersonally would never train on an empty stomach....especially empty and after cardio. if you can seperate the two. Cardio in the AM then workout in the eveningnor afternoon or something like that. Otherwise eat breakfast (not TOO big) then train and do cardio after training

gorilla

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    Cardio ALWAYS AFTER weights IMHO. Two reasons... One, you need the glycogen in the muscle, especially for heavy compound movements and two, because my heart rate is already up, cardio after the glycogen has been used puts you right into fat burning with the first step. Just be sure to take in a quick burning carb and some protein afterwards.

During bulking, I will limit or eliminate cardio altogether though.

Originally posted by llbeastcd
    Cardio ALWAYS AFTER weights IMHO. Two reasons... One, you need the glycogen in the muscle, especially for heavy compound movements and two, because my heart rate is already up, cardio after the glycogen has been used puts you right into fat burning with the first step. Just be sure to take in a quick burning carb and some protein afterwards.

During bulking, I will limit or eliminate cardio altogether though.
    Next door to the gym is a Fitness USA, which sells Protein Smoothies. I usually get one with 50 grams of protein and one scoop of L-Glutamine. Should I have them add anything else?

Originally posted by Canes4Ever

Next door to the gym is a Fitness USA, which sells Protein Smoothies. I usually get one with 50 grams of protein and one scoop of L-Glutamine. Should I have them add anything else?
    Assuming they add some fruit for flavoring. If so... sounds good. Are you taking any creatine right now?

Assuming they add some fruit for flavoring. If so... sounds good. Are you taking any creatine right now?
    Oh yes...I get what they call a "Gus's Special" it has banana, strawberry and mango mixed. Trust me this is delicious.

I have never used creatine. Some folks have discouraged me from using it, as they claim to have had no results from it.

I can have them put it in the protein smoothie at Fitness USA. Should I?

I know that if I do that, I have to increase my water intake from 1 gallon a day to 2 gallons a day while on creatine, correct?

Originally posted by Canes4Ever

Oh yes...I get what they call a "Gus's Special" it has banana, strawberry and mango mixed. Trust me this is delicious.

I have never used creatine. Some folks have discouraged me from using it, as they claim to have had no results from it.

I can have them put it in the protein smoothie at Fitness USA. Should I?

I know that if I do that, I have to increase my water intake from 1 gallon a day to 2 gallons a day while on creatine, correct?
    Give it a shot. Doesn't work for ALL, but it does for most, which is better than any other supplement that's out there. You'll probably want to load it for the first week and maintain at 5-10 grams per day. I can definitely say that it works. Right now, I'm off of it and can notice the difference. Pumps don't last as long and the size of the muscles are somewhat smaller. I plan going back on it again in April when I'm finished with this keto cycle.

As for the smoothie... sounds good.

Thumbs up

Thanks llbeast, I'll give the creatine a try then. Thanks everyone for their help !

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Creatine does caus dehydration so increase your fluid intake and expect to see some weight gain but this varies from user to user.I would not bother loading it this has never been proven to increase the levels just stick with 5g - 10g aday take 5g before working out and 5 post.

As for the cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is good if not after your workout is the best way

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Billy Boy
    Creatine does caus dehydration so increase your fluid intake and expect to see some weight gain but this varies from user to user.I would not bother loading it this has never been proven to increase the levels just stick with 5g - 10g aday take 5g before working out and 5 post.

As for the cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is good if not after your workout is the best way
    Thanks Billy boy, I'll try without loading. I have heard that the loading is a ploy by the companies to get you to use extra so that so run out of creatine faster.

I don't know....

gymnut4u is offline Member
    If i am working days I do my cardio in the morning and lift that evening ,if i am working nights ,I lift before work and do cardio after , by the way on the creatien subject from what i have read use only liquad it will get more in to your blood stream and will not dehydrate you as bad ,no loading 100% stable ,you dont have to deal with stumack cramps and loseing most of it in digestion as with powdered form ,hope this helps . atp has a good one ,you can get it @ any gnc.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by gymnut4u
    If i am working days I do my cardio in the morning and lift that evening ,if i am working nights ,I lift before work and do cardio after , by the way on the creatien subject from what i have read use only liquad it will get more in to your blood stream and will not dehydrate you as bad ,no loading 100% stable ,you dont have to deal with stumack cramps and loseing most of it in digestion as with powdered form ,hope this helps . atp has a good one ,you can get it @ any gnc.
    Thanks Gymnut, I'll look into it. At GNC aye? Hmmmmm, I usually avoid them like the plauge, I'll see if they have it at my supp store, Mass Nutrition or go to South Miami and check out The Vitamin Shoppe.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Canes

I for one do not subscribe to the theory of cardio before breakfast anymore. I to tried this for about a year and it appears that I tend to burn off to much muscle. Try eating some type of carbohydrate before doing your cardio. This seems to have helped me out alot. If your workouts are suffering afterwards, then you really know what you have to do. It may take a little re-scheduleing on your part to work it in later on in the day. But that is just the nature of the game.
    IC

Re: Canes

Originally posted by Tobey
    I for one do not subscribe to the theory of cardio before breakfast anymore. I to tried this for about a year and it appears that I tend to burn off to much muscle.
    I agree with Tobey. You 'could' be entering dangerous ground by doing cardio in a fasting state... especially if you are eating below maintenance calories to start. If you are dieting down, you'll still want to take in just enough carbs to get through your weight training and/or cardio session. Some oatmeal and hour to 90 minutes before usually does the trick.

Re: Canes

Originally posted by Tobey
    I for one do not subscribe to the theory of cardio before breakfast anymore. I to tried this for about a year and it appears that I tend to burn off to much muscle. Try eating some type of carbohydrate before doing your cardio. This seems to have helped me out alot. If your workouts are suffering afterwards, then you really know what you have to do. It may take a little re-scheduleing on your part to work it in later on in the day. But that is just the nature of the game.
    IC
    Thanks Tobey ! I'll have to work with it and see what is best.

Re: Re: Canes

I agree with Tobey. You 'could' be entering dangerous ground by doing cardio in a fasting state... especially if you are eating below maintenance calories to start. If you are dieting down, you'll still want to take in just enough carbs to get through your weight training and/or cardio session. Some oatmeal and hour to 90 minutes before usually does the trick.
    I think I'm gonna do just that, beacuse the couple of times I have tried it on the empty stomach I just don't have enough strength to continue or even later in the day I don't feel like going back to the gym to workout. Besides I get very busy with my work.

No excuses though, I have to see if just a little bit of food before the workout does the trick.

Thread Information