glovework1205 is offline New Member

Exclamation let me know what u think of my workout plan

5'10" 150lbs 16yrs trying to put on weight ,muscle,and strength. this is a workout plan that i am about to start. plz tell me what u think of it.

wk#1 3x3 90%
    wk#2 5x5 80%
    wk#3 5-4-3-2-1 70%-75%-80%-85%-90%
    wk#4 10-8-6-4 65%-70%-75%-80%
    wk#5 start over @#1

MONDAY
    1. box squat
    2. lunges
    3. split press
    4. bench
    5. flat dumbell flies
    6. triceps
    7. front/side lateral raises
    8. forearms

WEDNESDAY
    1. power clean
    2. front squat
    3. calf raises
    4. split press
    5. incline bench
    6. incline dumbell flies
    7. military press
    8. triceps

FRIDAY
    1. deadlift
    2. parallel squat
    3. lunges
    4. towel bench
    5. rows
    6. front/side lateral raises
    7. arm curls
    8. forearms

plaz tell me what u think of this. i am training for baseball so i need alot of forearms, back, tris, and hips. if you have any suggestions, plz let me know. if you think this workout is no good, plz give me some info on another workout that would be better. any info would be helpful. i NEED of this weight. thanx alot.

~gw~

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Think specificity when training. Nothing happens on the feild in slow motion, so i would focus on all olympic style lifts (power core exercises), and make assistance exercises secondary.
    M, W, F
    Hang Cleans
    Push Jerk
    Power Pulls
    Front Squat
    Assistance exercises
    Woodchops, etc for your abs and lower back. A strong core/torso will help with bat speed and strength.
    Also, you should be able to perform around 8 reps with 80% of your 1RM.
    Shoot for >85% of 1RM and < 6 reps when training for strength. Same goes for week #3, 70% should get you 10 reps. If you are using these for warm-ups, thats fine, but don't include them into working sets. Stick with the above percentages and reps for strength and I think you will be better off. Your total volume looks fine in reference to your sets for each exercise. Let me know any questions

Quake is offline Member

Red face

Changed my post as said in another thread, wrong b'ball, wrong type of training suggested. Sorry!
    Last edited by Bouncer272001; 06-17-2004 at 03:51 PM.

True, but he is training for baseball. Train your metabolic energy system that you will be using during games. Explosiveness. High intensity, short duration.

what would be the best lifts for explosiveness? what lifts should i replace Hang Cleans
    Push Jerk Power Pulls Front Squat with??other than that does this workout fit my needs??

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    I think you're overcomplicating things. Pick two or three basic moves per bodypart and go with that.

does this workout allow enough rest time??
    i just realize that the hand cleans etc. are the explosive lifts, i thought were another person and i wanted to get everyone who commented's input. thanx alot man

Probably shouldn't have suggested the more advanced lift being that you are only 16. Your more basic movements you mentioned will provide an excellent base (squats, bench, presses, rows). On wed, put military press before your chest flyes. I would put calf raises on down the list. Fatigued calves could inhibit force production on your split presses. I think your workout will provide adequate rest if you nutrition is precise (Check out the diet forum for that info) also, you are doing low volume training, i.e; 1 - 2 exercises per bodypart. Your periodization needs work. Maybe 4 week mesocycles. Use 80% - 90% 1RM, this should provide better strength results. Do you train w/ a partner? Try some upper body plyometrics for your core!!
    These are just my opinions, I have worked with collegiate baseball teams, however, professional opinions vary greatly. Word of advice: Focus on your performance more than anything. A 400lb bench does nothing if you can't hit the ball!!

thanx alot,hypertrophy

Hey glovework. I am going to call my old boss. Head strength and conditioning coach and see if he will email me templates of what he has his kids doing. This guy is good and he trains the 6th fastest 100 meter sprinter in the US!!
    I'll let you know when i get it, might be monday~

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Great posts Hypertrophy!My only concern is his age. Going too heavy on compound movements may not me ideal for an adolecent... age is deffinitly a training factor...

Totally agree with you Warrior, starting writting and didn't even look at his youth! I did pick high intensities for a young one. If you do the high intensity, make sure you talk to a fitness professional or read an educational book on proper form during heavy compound movements.
    Essentials of strength and conditioning is great!! (NSCA)

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glovework1205
    MONDAY
    1. box squat
    2. lunges
    3. split press
    4. bench
    5. flat dumbell flies
    6. triceps
    7. front/side lateral raises
    8. forearms

WEDNESDAY
    1. power clean
    2. front squat
    3. calf raises
    4. split press
    5. incline bench
    6. incline dumbell flies
    7. military press
    8. triceps

FRIDAY
    1. deadlift
    2. parallel squat
    3. lunges
    4. towel bench
    5. rows
    6. front/side lateral raises
    7. arm curls
    8. forearms
    Thats almost a full body workout three days a week. You wont gain $hit as far as muscle mass. Do one or two different muscle groups per day, max. And go to the gym 5 days a week. If you want to keep that 3 day a week thing then do two groups per day. Shoulders/Bi, Chest/Tri are good groups I've done. I wouldnt do deadlift and squats in the same day if I had a gun to my head. Back and Legs deffinetly need separate days.

Thread Information