CanadianGhost is offline Junior Member

Question Stiff Legs For Hams?

Hello Bros,

I have been doing stiff leg deadlifts to work the hamstrings, but it seems like the only thing getting worked is my lower back. My back is burning and feels great but I can't even tell my hams have been worked at all. Is there a good rule of thumb, or way to do them, that puts serious emphasis on the hams and takes some of the back?

I have been keeping my feet fairly close together (6-10") and my knees are quite straight. I aim for about 8 reps. Maybe the weights I am using are too high and I should shoot for higher reps and lower weight? Vice Versa? This has been a problem area for me in my training. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Hams are just a secondary muscle group worked in that exercise. If you want to really work your hams try hamstring curls.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Try standing on a box. Are you keeping your back straight? Try an anterior pelvic tilt. It should be making your hams extremely sore because it is a eccentric contraction!! Hamstring curls work great also, standing, seated and lying!! You will feel the stiffs in your lower back because your erector spinae are prime movers, but definitely fell it in the hams.
    Good luck

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Try standing on a box. Are you keeping your back straight? Try an anterior pelvic tilt. It should be making your hams extremely sore because it is a eccentric contraction!! Hamstring curls work great also, standing, seated and lying!! You will feel the stiffs in your lower back because your erector spinae are prime movers, but definitely fell it in the hams.
    Good luck
    Yeah - you should deffinitly feel it in the eccentric range - as you lengthen the muscle... drop the weight to the floor in a controlled tempo... at least a 4 count I would say. I would venture to guess you are not taking full advantage of this part of the movement and might be dropping the load to fast. And standing on a box will allow you to get a full stretch for the hams. Don't round out your back. Also, the hamstrings are your leg biceps and will get a full range movement with leg curls.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    what other kinds of exercises could you do for hams? i work out at home and dont have access to machines... here's what i've got.... power rack, bench, weights.... that's it. any suggestions? sorry to butt in

Got a partner?? Get on your knees, have your partner hold your ankles down and slowly lower your upper torso to the floor (facing the floor). Get the picture?? They are a killer. Buy some therabands and tie one on a stationary piece of equipment and the other around your ankle and do standing leg curls.
    Hope this helps.
    Write back with questions about the "****s" thats what we call the first exercise that i briefly describe.

Got a partner?? Get on your knees, have your partner hold your ankles down and slowly lower your upper torso to the floor (facing the floor). Get the picture?? They are a killer.
    - deffinitly a ham workout... they take pretty good degree of conditioning to do though...

No, doubt. Good for sprinters, etc. Just thought I would let him try them.
    It would be fun to watch for the first time!!

No, doubt. Good for sprinters, etc. Just thought I would let him try them.
    It would be fun to watch for the first time!!
    lol

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mekler
    what other kinds of exercises could you do for hams? i work out at home and dont have access to machines... here's what i've got.... power rack, bench, weights.... that's it. any suggestions? sorry to butt in
    Also you could do Good-Mornings too for your hams. Any cables on your power rack? If so get some ankle cuffs and you can do laying and standing leg curls.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Anabolica is offline Associate Member
    Lying leg curls work great for me. you get both a deep stretch and contraction from this not just a stretch which imo is all you get from SLDL's.

Try them out and see what works best for you.

CanadianGhost is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Everyone!

I think I may be lowering to quickly....I try and do a good 2 secs, but I will aim closer to four. I have done leg curls in the past and they worked fairly well but I thought the stiff legs might produce more mass. Thanks again everyone! I'll keep you posted......

Thread Information