Thread: calf exercises

pspcs83 is offline Junior Member

calf exercises

I'm lookin for some new calf exercises. Right now I only do regular calf raises (on a leg press machine). I do a set of 25 with my feet straight, then 25 with my feet pointed out then 25 with my feet pointed in. I repeat this twice. I only weigh 145, but I'm doin this with the machine + approximately 730 lbs and i'm running out of room to add weights!

I have great definition in my calves from years of running, but I'm lookin for something new. The gym i go to really doesn't have any calf machines, so all I really have is freeweights.

I would prefer an exercise that I can add to this (or do instead) that I would be able to use less weight.

Thanks in advance

ripped525 is offline Junior Member
    Im sure your gym has a standing/seated calf raise machine, if they dont thats pretty bad, you can use the smith machine to do standing raises, just place 2 10 plates on the floor puttin the ball of your foot in the center of the hole of the free weight, stand with the bar on ur back ( as if you were doin a squat ) flex heels down and push up and squeeze those bad boys, also when u flex ur heels down, hold the stretch for 5 secs get a nice burning feeling in ur calf then up again, should do the trick

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by pspcs83
    I'm lookin for some new calf exercises. Right now I only do regular calf raises (on a leg press machine). I do a set of 25 with my feet straight, then 25 with my feet pointed out then 25 with my feet pointed in. I repeat this twice. I only weigh 145, but I'm doin this with the machine + approximately 730 lbs and i'm running out of room to add weights!

I have great definition in my calves from years of running, but I'm lookin for something new. The gym i go to really doesn't have any calf machines, so all I really have is freeweights.

I would prefer an exercise that I can add to this (or do instead) that I would be able to use less weight.

Thanks in advance

use a smith machine and perform standing calf raises. works wonders. an added tip, use a block of wood or some weights and use it as a platform for youor feet. go as low as your calves would allow then explode upward; hold for 5 secs then lower.

Thread Information