PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member

Question abs arent sore anymore

alright for the past 6 months i switched up my ab workout from crunches to weighted exercises and just lately they dont get sore anymore. I dont know if its because im on creatine or what but here's what it typically looks like;
    incline situps w/ 25lb plate 3 sets
    cable cruntches 3 sets
    machine crunches 3 sets
    leg raises 3 sets

but my question is do you think I should go back to the different variations of crunches? but I read they are about the most ineffective ab excersise you can do. whatd you think?

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i think working the abs is a waste of time. If your body fat is low enough they will show and if you are doing compound movements like squats and deads; your abs should get a nice workout during those movements.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    i think working the abs is a waste of time. If your body fat is low enough they will show and if you are doing compound movements like squats and deads; your abs should get a nice workout during those movements.
    I disagree, thats like saying working biceps or traps is a waste of time, abs are just as important as any other muscle group. If your not getting sore any more switch up the routine and weight and reps and everything to really shock them into new growth.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I agree with testsubject, definitely work your abs. Try manipulating your intensity, volume or frequency. Have you ever tried exercises on a stability-ball? They will recruit muscle fibers due to stability. There are tons of exercises that can be performed on the ball. Leg unders, pikes, crunches, side crunches, russian twist, leg twist, etc. I also like the idea that you overlaod your abs like any other muscle group. I think that is very wise to provide a unique stimilus instead of doing thousands of weightless exercises.

Swellin Guest
    Strengthening your abs will strengthen your core. By doing so, you will increase your power lifts. This is a universal truth.

I recently read a post by Iron Addict about ab training. He focused on one exercise, once a week. However, I use two exercises with weights. The point is to tax the muscle every time you go into the gym.
    Try doing 3 sets of 12 reps. Use a decline bench and do sit ups with a DB on your chest. Use the heaviest weight you can to get 12 reps. Take a break and then do it again. When you are able to get 12 reps on all three sets, increase the weight. Make it a point to keep the weigh on the upper portion of your chest, or you are cheating.
    Also, only let your shoulder blades lightly touch the bench, so you do not ever take the pressure off your abs. Only sit up until you feel the pressure rolling off your abs and onto your hip flexors.

I started this 6 weeks ago. I was using a 50 lb DB. Now, I am using a 110lb db. My abs hurt for days after working them. This hits the lower abs really hard!

I use a Nautilus machine for my upper abs and use the same setup...heavy weight 3x12. Control the movement in both directions...get a slow negative.

I promise your gut will be mad at me if you try this.

Right on about a strong core helping your lifts. Compare your seated dbell military presses to standing dbell military presses. If there is a significant difference in weight, your core is weak!

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, is that a strict standing press or a cheat press?

Strict standing presses.

Swellin Guest
    Not only that but squats, deads, bent rows (think form here), even bench (yes I said bench) are affected by your abdominals and your core strength.

True Swellin, it goes for all exercises. The weakest link in the chain will limit the chains capacity. Does that make any sense, hehe.

that sounds awsome acually swellin. I never thought of that. I cant wait to try that out tomorrow. thanks~

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I still think dedicating a bunch of time to just abs is a waste of time. if were talking about strenghning the core than all excercises you do can be done with stability ball or using a unstable enviroment to strengthn the core but to soley dedicate a bunch of time for abs is a waste IMO.

If you were to do bench you could do it with one leg up or both legs off the ground or even attach a thera band to you feeet and creat resistance. Your still stregthning the core and you doing a chest movement. All excercises can be done with a variation in a unstable enviroment. try doing db shoulder presses with one db at a time or even an alternating db press. or you could even do it on a stabiltiy ball with one leg up.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

i tried those dumbell situps today acually and it has to be one of the hardest ab exercises ive ever done. but how long of rest should you take in between the sets and how slow should your negatives be on it?

Swellin Guest
    Just use a controlled negative...no particular time frame. As for rest, I usually go 45-60 seconds. If I use the Nautilus machine first, I might go 90 seconds in between sets with the DB.

Abstrack, I guess that all depends on your intentions with lifting. The guys that train with the Westside program, the DC program, and most powerlifting programs all use some ab exercises. It seems like all of the bodybuilder workouts I have ever seen had ab workouts in them.
    As for, "spending alot of time training abs," I spend under ten minutes a week doing it unless I work them twice that week. I usually just hit them once, because they are sore for several days.
    I used to feel the same way as you about training abs...I had too much BF for it to matter. I could see the top pair but that was it. I got down below 12% and I could see all of them...not very well mind you. I started training abs, and my other lifts increased. Now my abs are still visible at just over 12%.
    It just makes sense to train them.

Thread Information