Thread: Cardio question

sooner45 is offline Member

Cardio question

Hey guys! I have been doing 55 min of cardio @ 60-70% of my max heart rate, and I usually rotate between the tradmill and the eliptical bike ED just to change it up. But my question is that lately my shins have been hurting when i do teh treadmill, usually about 20-30 min after I have been on it and it is extremely painful for teh rest of teh session, so I was thinking about doing the 1st 20-30 min on the treadmill and then jumoing on teh bike for teh last 20-30. Would this be ok?? If I hurry up after the treadmill and jump on the bike would I still be able to maintain the heart rate where was at when I got off, liek I said if I bust it and hurry?? Would I still get the same results as if I were to stay on one machine for the whole 55 min??? Sorry, i know its a dumb question but i was just wondering! Thanks guys!!

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner45
    Hey guys! I have been doing 55 min of cardio @ 60-70% of my max heart rate, and I usually rotate between the tradmill and the eliptical bike ED just to change it up. But my question is that lately my shins have been hurting when i do teh treadmill, usually about 20-30 min after I have been on it and it is extremely painful for teh rest of teh session, so I was thinking about doing the 1st 20-30 min on the treadmill and then jumoing on teh bike for teh last 20-30. Would this be ok?? If I hurry up after the treadmill and jump on the bike would I still be able to maintain the heart rate where was at when I got off, liek I said if I bust it and hurry?? Would I still get the same results as if I were to stay on one machine for the whole 55 min??? Sorry, i know its a dumb question but i was just wondering! Thanks guys!!

Why not just stay on the bike the whole time until your shin splints heal? I have the same problem and whenever they flare up I just swap over to an exercise bike. I don't know why the eliptical would hurt your shins though...... I would use that if you have access to one. I only have a treadmill and a bike at my house so I swap between the two.

<<LMO>>

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner45

Why not just stay on the bike the whole time until your shin splints heal? I have the same problem and whenever they flare up I just swap over to an exercise bike. I don't know why the eliptical would hurt your shins though...... I would use that if you have access to one. I only have a treadmill and a bike at my house so I swap between the two.

<<LMO>>

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    alot of guys including me do the bike (just keep your HR up) when shin splints get bad. ice them...it helps.

sooner45 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut

<<LMO>>
    Yeah I agree, but the eliptical doesnt hurt my shins, the treadmill does. I think it has a lot to do with the ****ty shoes I have, lookinginto some new ones right now.

Fame is offline Junior Member
    Bike for me.

sigrabbit is offline Member
    AAS causes the same sensation for me when walking.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sepjuice
    alot of guys including me do the bike (just keep your HR up) when shin splints get bad. ice them...it helps.
    Agree, ice helps tremendously!!
    You will burn slighly more calories on the treadmill due to more muscle mass being involved if intensities are equated.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Always ice your shins after you are done with your cardio.

birsling is offline Member
    I personally would go to the elliptical instead of the bike. It is a "weight bearing" exercise and should assist in a faster rise in your HR and increased calorie burn over the bike. Plus, both elliptical and bike are little/no impact exercises so shouldn't hurt your shins. If you have access to one, use a Precor elliptical. Once you get used to not holding on (these are the ellipticals with the adjustable ramp instead of arms) you will work your core muscles (abs/lower back) and get a much better overall cardio workout. Hope this helps you

Thread Information