pspcs83 is offline Junior Member

muscle "sections"

I know the calf and the hamstring all have multiple "muscle sections". I have been told that you can work different sections by simply pointing your toes inward, outward and straight.

Is this true?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Not really true. Plantarflexion is going to work your claves. However, when keep your knees straight, you will be stressing your gastrocnemius-the two visible muscles on the back of your calves. This muscle crosses both the ankle and knee joint, thats why it is stressed the most when your knees are straight. When you bend your knees (seated calf raises) you deactivate your gastrocnemius and place the stress on you soleus, which is the muscle that is underneath your gastrocnemius. The soleus only crosses you ankle joint. You might be able to stress slightly different parts of your calf by varying your stance, but plantarflexion is going to work the entire calf.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    WTF is plantarflexion? Link?
    I have realy pathetic calfs and need all the help I can get.

Plantarflexion is simply flexing your ankle downwards. You plantarflex when doing toe raises.

Quake is offline Member
    I read somewhere that the different feet placement whilst doing such exercises as squat and leg press are a way of stressing the inner thigh more (the abductor?). Is this true?

Soup is offline Associate Member
    I was under maybe the incorrect assumption that tore in/toe out would work on defining the split in the calves.

Yes, you can 'stress' different parts of the muscle, but you cannot work different "muscle sections." Example, when doing tricep extensions, you cannot just isolate the long head, short head, etc, but you can vary your grip to put more stress on the different parts.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    ok, hypertrophy question for you. I have ankle injuries from way back...just like everybody else does. Here's my issue....when walking, running, lifting legs/calves I get this pain that starts in the outer edge of my foot, runs up behind the ankle bone and becomes the most painful in the calf..mostly the outter edge. Anything you can think of I can do to help strengthen this so I can run distance, etc again?

BIGGYBIG is offline New Member

It really works

I have been using this technique of straining the muscles to near destruction for nearly three years now, and so is my father(45), and we have both made great gains since when we first started. My father calls it "walking the land" actually, because we don't use any weights in the traditional sense of the word. If we see something that would be an awkward challenge to move or pick up, we do it. If it puts an awkward stress or position on our muscles, the better it works, but I think it works good with weights too. My dad is a naturally built guy, but he became a god****ed monster after these three years. We both max out on bench about once every two or three months. When he first started three years ago, he was benching 240. After a year of "walking the land," he was benching 315. It has been three years now and he benches just over 475. It has been great to see him progress, but I've made some great gains too. When I first started, I was just 15 years old and weighed 140 pounds, and I was benching 140 or 150. After the first three months of "walking the land," and tearing the crap out of my arms and chest, I was benching over 200 pounds. I know it sounds crazy, but this technique, if you can call it that, really works. After my first year, I was benching 245. When I turned 17, I benched 300 for the first time, and right now, at the age of 18, five-foot ten, and weighing 180 pounds, I'm benching twice my body weight. Well, almost. I'm right around 350. My goal is to hit 400 by my next birthday, and my Dad wants to eventually hit 500 or more, which I'm sure he will. As for our legs, he squats 610 and I squat just over 450. If you work your muscles in the way that the strongmen of old did it, and do it like a madman, you'll get arms and chest larger than you ever thought you could have. I'm nothing like what I used to be, but I have a long way to go before I'm as big as my Dad.

P.S. His biceps cold are 20 1/2 in. and 22 pumped. Mine are 18 cold and 19 1/4 pumped. His chest is 54 inch, and mine is only 45 or 46! No Creatine, supplements, hormonal stuff, or steroids of any kind! Just good eatin(barbeque, burgers, pizza, pasta, hot dogs, Mexican) and shredding the crap out of muscles.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    I have been working different parts of muscles by varying grips and stance. Grab an angled curl bar and grip on the innermost angles, this will work your inner Bi's. Switch to the outtermost grip and it will work your outter Bi's, this may be reversed, I cant remember off hand, its late and I should be sleeping. Squats are the same way, feet wider than shoulders will work outter or inner quads more and feet touching will work teh opposite, like I said, I dont remember offhand but do 2 or 3 sets of each variant and youll get a more overall pump. Bench press I do remember than if you grip too far in it will work your tri's more than chest. I personally like a wide grip when benching.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Wide grip got me a lot stronger once I got used to it. Got strong real quick too. In two months my bench jumped up like 20 pounds.

Thread Information