pvgirl08 is offline Female Member

Female weightlifter needs help

Hello, I tried to lean up and ton about 6 months ago and lost about 10 lbs, but stayed the same bf, which means i lost all muscle, though I did lose size (waist, legs, arms etc). Now i'm trying to gain some of that muscle back. I have been doing a 3 days split routine, with a day rest every three days plus doing cardio 40 minutes about 4 times a week. Day 1: chest back Day 2: bi's, tri's, shoulders, Day 3: legs. Day 4 rest then start all over again. Been doing 3-4 exercises each body part about 4sets of 15,12, 10, 8 reps. I need some suggestions on what to fix to maximal benefits. Probably going to change to chest and tri, back bi, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would follow the 3 day routine
    day 1
    Chest, tris, shoulder

Day 2
    rest

Day 3
    Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs

Day 4
    Rest

Day 5
    Back, bis

Move your rep range into the 4-8 rep area as you are trying to build muscle and do 3 exercises with 3 reps per body part. This has worked well for me in the past. Also depending on how long you have been lifting try to stick to compound movements as much as possible. Good luck

Quake is offline Member
    If you decide to stick to 3days and rest as you are doing, alternate between 1 and 2 days of rest to give your body time for recuperation (which builds muscle) over 48 hours every 7 days, i.e. 3 days on 1 day off, 3 days on 2 days off, and repeat. I have used this split before to good effect staying, as micromonster suggests, in a lower rep/heavier weight arrangement to build muscle.

Thanks for the advice. I did track for 5 years and we were in the "strength" rep scheme ( 2-8) but I get really bulky doing that. Trying to gain muscle but not so bulky. Does that make any sense. I think i'll try the 3 on 1 off and 3 on 2 off thing. Sounds good.

decadbal is offline Banned
    3on1off2on1off...repeat

TheChosen1 is offline Member

Arrow

How's your cardio training? That helps alot with the toning too.

I Do cardio in the morning 4-5 times per week along with abs.

Quake is offline Member

Exclamation

If you're looking for bulking you might be going too fast too soon. Going by your other thread, you said you've been injured. Does this mean you've been not working out for a while? If so, slide yourself in to it and let your body get used to the demand you are placing on it. When I started doing 3 on 1 off 3 on 2 off, I had been training every week at least five times a week without fail for 3 years. My body responded well to it and coped with demand. I am at present back in to training for 4 and a half months after three and a half to four years of having no training at all, and I know I can't put that sort of demand on my body yet, and I am on AS. While my muscles are telling me at the moment that they could do more (this is the AS talking!) I know I'd be prone to injuring them if I pushed too hard, (I know it was a bad idea to do this cycle so soon, but some of my gear was going/gone out of date so I decided to use it now. Definitely not the wisest decision of my life!) for the simple reason that my body needs to get used to the rigours of regular training again.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I have been training. I got back really fast after the surgery. Did legs and cardio for the first 3 weeks and then started slowely getting into things. Was doing lat pull downs and handstands about 4 weeks after shoulder surgery. Oops big mistake kinda made things worse and slowed down progress, but I have been lifting for awhile now. Did muscular endurance training for 7 weeks to change up a little, but am back to hypertrophy. Need to figure out a good training schedule. I like the 3 on 1 off and 3 on 2 off thing. Think i'll try it for awhile and see what happens. Take it easy bouncer. Dont want to finish your cycle and realize your shoulders and knees are all torn up. Had a friend that did that. hehe. Thanks again!

Quake is offline Member

Thumbs up

I will! Thanks for the concern!

TheChosen1 is offline Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by pvgirl08
    I have been training. I got back really fast after the surgery. Did legs and cardio for the first 3 weeks and then started slowely getting into things. Was doing lat pull downs and handstands about 4 weeks after shoulder surgery. Oops big mistake kinda made things worse and slowed down progress, but I have been lifting for awhile now. Did muscular endurance training for 7 weeks to change up a little, but am back to hypertrophy. Need to figure out a good training schedule. I like the 3 on 1 off and 3 on 2 off thing. Think i'll try it for awhile and see what happens. Take it easy bouncer. Dont want to finish your cycle and realize your shoulders and knees are all torn up. Had a friend that did that. hehe. Thanks again!
    Definately be careful, Bouncer. I'm currently rehabbing after my 4th knee (3rd left knee) surgery and was out of the gym for a few months now. Prior to now, I was on my feet the day after the last 3 surgeries and back in the gym in about 2 weeks. Oddly enough, it took me a week to get back to my feet after this most recent surgery and my physical therapists said that it may have been for my rushing my healing process that caused this time to become a slower, more painful process. Eventhough I feel fit as hell to hit the gym again, I decided to wait until the doctor gives me the thumbs up first.
    Last edited by TheChosen1; 06-29-2004 at 08:26 PM.

Yup that's the smart thing to do chosen1. I found out hitting the gym as soon as i could move my shoulder slightly after surgery was a big mistake. They told me 2 months and i took 2 weeks. It got stronger quickly, but is now still a year later messed up. TAking time sucks, but its worth it in the long run.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvgirl08
    Hello, I tried to lean up and ton about 6 months ago and lost about 10 lbs, but stayed the same bf, which means i lost all muscle, though I did lose size (waist, legs, arms etc).

Got some good news for you.

You did not lose all muscle. How did you measure your bf? Typically, what happens when you start exercising, is you redistribute the muscle to fat ratio. Loss in size and same weight means more mucle, loss in size and less weight like your case is caused by fat loss. The only way you could have burned ten pounds of muscle is if you have very low bf and it was the only fuel.

Keep rocking, the changes will keep coming.

Thread Information