kc
    kc is offline Female Member

Finally joined a real gym...

well, it's begun. For the past two years i've been training with what i've got available free...which hasn't been much and certainly hasn't been quality. Broke down and joined the gym last night, walked in a 3:45 this morning for my first REAL workout in almost 2 years. Lifting about 50% of what I was when I stopped two years ago here's my morning...
    20 minutes warm up cardio

6 sets leg press, huh..the real kind with plates and everything! ahh a real gym..ending w/ 310 for 8.
    6 sets leg extension, ending w/ 85 for 8.
    6 sets leg curl, ending w/ 70 for 8.
    6 sets seated calf raises, ending w/ 70 for 12...i superset all three heads.

Should have done standing calf raises, walking lunges and deads but I figured I'd better take it cool on day one. Lifting around half of what I know i can is a large reality check and will motivate me to no end. Set first goal this morning. Leg press 550 by July 20. Will start to do squats then and we'll see what happens.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Congrats for getting back into it KC. Just you wait.. the first leg workout back is a bitch for the next week or so.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Good that you took the plunge KC.....

Looking over your first workout in a couple of years, you are going to be hurting for the next few days.

D

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with your soreness!!

kc
    thanks guys. I should be ok as long as I stay active. I'll go much easier on the upperbody, seems the soreness there is always worse. The wheels are tough.

Got back tomorrow...
    Lat pulls: 4 sets 12-10-8-8
    Lawnmowers: 4 sets of same
    Seated rows: 4 sets of same
    Deads: 9 sets : 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 6

I'll start pretty low on weight and see where it takes me. Should be an interesting 7 days

Lawnmowers! I like that name, assuming they are one-arm dbell rows, right?

kc
    yup BT taught me that one

I'd move the deads to the first exercise.

D

kc
    really? I've always kept them last...can you give me reasons?

I always put heavy compund movements first. They take the most energy and they are the bread & butter of your workout. Finish with assistance exercises.

You must be a machine doing 9 sets of deads!!
    Last edited by Hypertrophy; 06-23-2004 at 10:38 AM.

Deads are geared towards your back but they actually work just about every muscle group in your body. Therefore, once they are done you are 'warmed up' and your muscles are fatigue'd (sp?).

In addition, there are three main large muscle exercises.
    Bench
    Squat
    Deads

You Bench and Squat as your first exercise for chest and legs right?
    Why not do deads first.

Plus for me, there is no way in h*ll I could Deadlift at the end of a workout.

D

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    must feel good to be back in a real gym

kc
    you're right, I do do those moves first. I'll put deads in front and see where they take me...this is prolly why I maxed out at 245 before on deads...lol, wuss.

It feels great to be back in a real gym, can't wait to see what the summer brings.

9 sets....just means I start fairly light and work up to heavy....it's how i really be sure my form is on.

Quote Originally Posted by kc
    you're right, I do do those moves first. I'll put deads in front and see where they take me...this is prolly why I maxed out at 245 before on deads...lol, wuss.
    PM me and let me know how it goes.

I think you will notice a difference in your workout. (even if it has been two years)

D

kc
    Up for 8 hours by 11:30am and hungry as ****. Guess i'll maybe have to add a couple meals to the day and just eat every two hours. The gym is the easy part, the diet is where I struggle.

Rsox1 is offline Associate Member
    your doing a lotta deads maybe people on this board have had different expiriences than me but If I working out hard 98 reps on the deadlift would be almost impossible

kc
    You're right, like I said i start out pretty light, doesn't get heavy or hard until last 4 or 5 sets....just my way of being sure my form is on 100% of the time.

kc
    Day 2 back at it, Back Day. Wussed out, wheels sore and kc tired. Here's what I did.

Deads: 5 sets ending pretty light at 95. I will keep these first, I think I lost the most in this area so far as far as strength goes. **** hands didn't want to hold anymore!

Lat Pull: 4 sets, ending w/ 80 for 10.
    Lawnmowers: 4 sets, ending w/ 30 for 8 each.
    Low Row: 4 sets, ending w/ 50 for 8. Never used this type of cable machine before, not sure why i was so weak.

Last group: don't know what it's called but it's almost like a seated two arm row...dunno, have to ask around i guess. But..put 10 on each side and felt like nothing so I added a 25 on each for another 10. Then I switched those weights for 3 10's and a 5 on each side and did triple drop set to failure on last set.

Worked hard but didn't overdo it....still want to be doin bi/tris tomorrow morning.

Wheels: Hip flexors and hamstrings sore, didn't loosen up during cardio...should be pretty sore tomorrow then. Feels good. Bummed that quads aren't the least bit sore. Was hoping to not start squats for about a month, figuring that would give the rest of my body time to prepare. Guess we'll see.

kc
    Day 4

entire body has decied to rebel and it feels excellent! Everything is at least a little bit sore. Just got back from bi/tri/forearm workout and shaky as hell! I'll hit legs again tomorrow, we'll see how they hold up. Hamstrings and calves still a little sore.

kc
    First Chest day is behind me...mostly. Arms are sore from Saturday but loosened up real quick when I started benchin. I'm at around 55% of my old strength but I expected that. We'll see how the next 4 weeks go....should be back in the game. I gotta say...I always say "check your ego at the door" but that's rough when you know you're not lifting ****! Guess it's good for me...again, punnishment for bein away.

Thread Information