Thread: Trap workout?

Quake is offline Member

Question Trap workout?

I am currently suffering severe lower back problems, and as a result can only do seated or laying exercises. I can work this for most of my muscle groups except one, my traps. At the moment my trap workout consists of seated DB shrugs for about 10 sets. I know my traps need more stress than this, but so far have failed to come up with another exercise I can perform. Any ideas?

Help is much appreciated!

bubbathegut is offline Member
    u can also do seated barball shrugs with that bar that has a bend in the middle. just put the bar underneath the seat and shrug away...

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    I tried something Ive never done before the other day. I started with the heaviest weight i could possibly hold, shrug that. Then drop down 10 lbs, do that. Then drop another 10 lbs. and so on and so forth. The next 3 days i couldnt move. Oh yea...no rest in between.

Aboot is offline Banned
    I'm assuming you don't have access to a Hammer Strength trap machine, so yeah, I think DB seated shrugs is the best alternative you have.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmmtheIceman
    I tried something Ive never done before the other day. I started with the heaviest weight i could possibly hold, shrug that. Then drop down 10 lbs, do that. Then drop another 10 lbs. and so on and so forth. The next 3 days i couldnt move. Oh yea...no rest in between.
    Totaly, AandF6969 and I did shrug drop sets earlier this week and last, our arms and traps hurt like a mofo for the next two days. You could also do reverse shrugs--hold bells straight above your head and keep your arms slightly bent and use your traps to lift them up n bring back slightly down. Its very akward but youll get the feel after a couple sets. I would start light to get the motion down so you dont drop one on your grape.

Quake is offline Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I like the sound of those reverse shrugs! And I'll try getting an EZ bar under the bench too. As for a trap machine, there is a shrug machine in the one room, but you have to stand up to use it and as I said this is no good for me at the moment!

Thanks again!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Although I don't have lower back problems I often use bench press machines. Just straddle the seat with grab the handles and shrug away. You can hit your traps twice weekly too, they take alot of punishment. So hit them with fewer reps on both days to save your back. On your shoulder day you should hit them first with upright rows to exhaust them, then move onto a more isolated trap exercise with lesser weight.
    I hope I've explained that one correctly.

Quake is offline Member
    I might be able to manage shrugs on a machine if I kneel on the bench and bend a little. Upright rows are out, I tried with just 40 kg this week and my back immediately started paining. Twice a week is definitely a possibility I should follow more frequently.

Cheers!

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    yeah dude, I work my traps twice a week on back and shoulder day, it deffinetly has given me improvements since beginning of summer

Quake is offline Member
    That will be my new addition for the week. Got to decide what days to do them on now.

Thread Information