radar1234 is offline Member

belt for squats?

i have made vast improvements on my squats(from 225*15-315*12)but my lower back cant seem to keep up.i stretch all the time.i use proper form.nothing seems to help.my back just starts to kill me during squats.an hour later the pain is gone.ive tried a belt and it has helped.no lower back pain at all.should i use a belt?i dont want to lose my core strength though.please help!!

LM1332 Guest
    I saw Blood and Guts with Dorian and he used belt all over the place so if you feel a need to use it, use it. And you can always do other things to train your core (abs/lower back/obliqs)

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    you not wearing a belt b/c you think youll lose your core strength, dont worry about it bro. If your going 3 plates or more use a belt, thats my rule, once i get up to 315, on goes the belt, you will save your back in the end buy using the belt.

radar1234 is offline Member
    thanks guys

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I also have a hipbelt that I use to mix it up... Sometimes I just do the regualar squats but I also use my hipbelt and do squats with that too. May want to look into that if you are having back pain cause the concept of the hipbelt basically you hook the weight from the belt eliminating all the weight on your back but your legs still get a great workout. Its made by Ironmind of you are interested.

Ironmind - HipBelt
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

qccat is offline Associate Member
    using a belt is nothing but an asset. It wont hinder your core strength to wear a belt, as actually you are pushing on the belt with your abdomen during the lift. When it gets heavy, strap the belt on for sure

Thread Information