Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    se11 is offline Associate Member

# of sets in a bicep workout

what is a good number of sets in a bicep workout? that is the muscle that I really want to get bigger for the summer and I was j/w wat is a good # of sets per workout. I usually do between 9-12 excluding my warm ups. I see some pros have 8-10, but some do much more. What is a good amount of sets per workout.

EDIT: Can anyone post their workout because my Tri's and Delts look really good, but my biceps really suck and are lagging way behind the rest of the arm.
    Last edited by se11; 06-29-2004 at 08:46 PM.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    i do maximum of 3 sets per exercise exluding warm ups, i will often use 3 to 4 at any time.

Tony Soprano is offline Associate Member
    i dont see any extra gains in doing more sets for bis, i just do at the most 6 sets

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    5 is what I use and it's never failed my guns.

I can't imagine doing 9-12........holy crap I'd atrophy......

BTW, you want BIG arms? SQUAT!!!!!

~SC~

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    Not being a smartazz, I know squating helps grow everything slightly(legs are the obivious primary) but what is the direct corrolation? I would thid dl's would be more of a direct hit for the arms.

Quote Originally Posted by cpt steele
    Not being a smartazz, I know squating helps grow everything slightly(legs are the obivious primary) but what is the direct corrolation? I would thid dl's would be more of a direct hit for the arms.
    Legs = teacher
    Upper body = student

The student will only get as big as the teacher will allow. (GH release, natural hormone production, etc) If you don't have a base to support the upper body, it will eventually recognize that fact, and your upper body growth will stall and/or be very limited until leg work is introduced as re-assurance that it's "going to be okay".

~SC~

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I do four sets, including warm up and my arms grow very fast when I stick with it.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Legs = teacher
    Upper body = student

The student will only get as big as the teacher will allow. (GH release, natural hormone production, etc) If you don't have a base to support the upper body, it will eventually recognize that fact, and your upper body growth will stall and/or be very limited until leg work is introduced as re-assurance that it's "going to be okay".

~SC~

This is a great analogy, and applies very well to deadlifts also.

cool thanks

really? you think i'm doing too much, so you would say do more weight, less sets. what is a good amount of someones weight to do in a bicep workout?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by se11
    really? you think i'm doing too much, so you would say do more weight, less sets. what is a good amount of someones weight to do in a bicep workout?
    There are formula's to determine loads from percent of bodyweight. But i would recommend using a rep max or use percentages of a 1RM. Like the most weight you can use for 6-8 reps, or use around 75% - 85% of 1RM.
    Something of that nature to meet your rep goals.

well I'm 140 ibs. I've been using 35-45 ibs. should I add more wight?

Its not about the weight bro Its all about the 8RM or 8repititon maximum. Everytime I go to the gym I see people doing ten or fifteen sets, even as much 16 to 20 sets for their bis. These guys put on minimal weight and do huge numbers of reps. They wont be sweating or they wont look pumped at all, and wont have arms any bigger than a boy.

Do five sets like Swole said. If you do them right your muscles should be so pumped you wont have it in you to do any more sets. For example, I start with preacher curls to start with 130 pounds and by my sixth rep I can't complete the 7 with perfect biomechanical form (thus, my six rep max), so I have my buddy slowly help bring it back up, then I have him let it go and do a heavy negative the whole way down. There is no way Ill be able to do 130 again, so for set 2 so I drop down to 120 or 110 and repeat Your muscles should be aching bro and the pump will last.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    beefcakestew, and after preacher what do you do. do you guys believe in changing the exercise everytime you go to the gym for bis? i do 9 sets and arms are not a gowin

Homer 8 is offline Associate Member

~SC~
    5 set for ur whole bicep workout or 5 sets for each individual excersise on ur bicep

thats what i was confused about

3 sets Preacher. Then I go to 2 or 3 sets of Heavy Dumbell curls 8-10 reps. I dont change my routine until I stop seeing gains (A signal of this is not seeing gains in strength). Every week I like to add 5 pounds or another rep or two. So I never really do more than 6 sets, but trust me bro; if your doing a heavy negative plus a 1 or 2 forced reps your pushing your bis to the limit. Sometimes while finishing my last set I might do really concentrated half reps because going all the way down will be impossible at that point (this is cheating but its cheating past failure which is way different than just cheating to make the set easier. If you do the half reps right each little rep "will burn like someone is holding a blowtorch to them"). Grip on the bar matters too. Outside grip seems to isolate better.

thanks im going to cut down and try that. how many times do you do bi's each week, and do you do them with any other bodpart?

Quote Originally Posted by keithhoman
    5 set for ur whole bicep workout or 5 sets for each individual excersise on ur bicep
    5 total sets of 1 exercise.

If I am doing straight bar that day, 5 sets of that. Hammers that day, 5 sets of that. Alternates that day, 5 sets of that. Whatever exercise I choose, 5 sets.

Usually it's straight bar curls one time, then hammer curls the next. Those two are best for mass. Preachers, concentrations, etc., those are all "shaping" exercises, but if you want meat, do the staple movements.

~SC~

wow, so your only doing 1 extercise for bi's dam i was def overtraining, doing 3-4 exercises, how often do you do bi's swole?

Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    wow, so your only doing 1 extercise for bi's dam i was def overtraining, doing 3-4 exercises, how often do you do bi's swole?
    I train each bodypart every 5th day.

You can only do so much damage (tearing apart) of the muscle before it becomes over-training. Many think you have to continually blast away, when in fact all you have to do is send a quick message for growth, and you're job is done.

~SC~

You can only do so much damage (tearing apart) of the muscle before it becomes over-training. Many think you have to continually blast away, when in fact all you have to do is send a quick message for growth, and you're job is done.
    so do you do this for triceps too, keep the sets relatively low?

Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    so do you do this for triceps too, keep the sets relatively low?
    N-Deed!!

~SC~

so can anyone post a good bicep workout for me? i could really use some help. i will try to 5 sets with heavy weight, but I'd like other ideas too

so can anyone post a good bicep workout for me? i could really use some help. i will try to 5 sets with heavy weight, but I'd like other ideas too
    Are you just waiting for what you WANT to hear? Just curious, as this approach, if done CORRECTLY, is hard to surpass result wise. You'd be wise to try it for at least 8-12 weeks.

Make sure you also hit the wheels (legs) really hard as well. Don't over-train, hard/intense/outta there. Not HIT, not Volume, a harmony of both.

Carry on!

~SC~

so by doing more weight for 5 sets will be the same thing as doing lesser weight 8-10 sets?

so by doing more weight for 5 sets will be the same thing as doing lesser weight 8-10 sets?
    As long as you maintain PERFECT form. Use the muscle, momentum does not build lean muscle tissue.

I had to put my ego aside, and focus on training style. When I did, my body began to "poke out" everywhere, and my joint aches/pains seemed to subside a great deal.

~SC~

swole always has the answer. hey swole, have you ever put your own training program on here?

Quote Originally Posted by diablo27185
    True, but momentum is good for those last reps you cant do with perfect form just to get that extra added burn.
    If you are utilizing forced reps, yeah.

~SC~

allright I'll try it tomm when I work my bi's. what is the best exercise for bi's to go heavy on? Alternate Dumbell Curls?

alternate dumbell curls are good, but ive seen people use heavy weight and are working out their egos, i like preacher

i dont really like preachers that much. i've tried them and didn't like them, and i also herd their much more easier to get hurt on.

you must have to keep the rep range in the 6-8 range then

STRAIGHT bar curls, all the way down.........no swinging.........stand against a wall if you have to.........if you want big/full arms, you have to work the entire muscle in the contraction.

For width, HAMMER curl city......either in front of the chest alternating sides, or straight up and down as you would regular alternates but it' stays hammer-grip all the way up/down........

Wide N thick wins......

~SC~

sore24/7 is offline Associate Member
    I have always trained people to do 6 to 8 sets for bi's. The first half of the session would be straight bar or ez curl the last few sets concentration curl or a medium weighted preacher curl in the higher rep range.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    STRAIGHT bar curls, all the way down.........no swinging.........stand against a wall if you have to.........if you want big/full arms, you have to work the entire muscle in the contraction.

For width, HAMMER curl city......either in front of the chest alternating sides, or straight up and down as you would regular alternates but it' stays hammer-grip all the way up/down........

Wide N thick wins......

~SC~
    I would love to see you post your current 5 day workout. Just a wish but, it would be awesome to see the sets, reps, and exercises you are doing.

If I can get to it this afternoon before cardio, sure! I don't see why not......

~SC~

finally, ive been waiting for your workout for a while swole, also im going to incorporate hammers more now, my arms have no width

ok wheres the cat at, with the program

come on swole, dont hold out on us!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information