Kaleb is offline Associate Member

Decline bench a waste of time?

I've talked to alot of people who think doing decline DB's or barbell is a waste of time and that it is not real good for developing any kind of mass. They say throw in an extra incline workout instead. Any truth to this? Thanks

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Depends if you want to work the upper (incline) or lower (decline) chest

bubbathegut is offline Member
    declines are key for developing the the lower part of your pectoral muscle, also helps give that separtion between your upper abs and pecs too...i try to do all 3 in a chest routine if not i just rotate it in on future workouts..

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    No way bruddah. For me (atleast) Declines have helped my chest a million more ways then inclines. First of all, on Inclines my shoulders end up taking the brunt end of the damage and I find it very hard to 'feel' the muscle during incline presses, even when going with lighter weights. I stick to cables to etch in the upper chest rather then presses. Declines however have added a new dimension and thickness to my chest that I never had before. I actually start off my chest workouts now with Decline bench presses and end off with decline flies or cable crossovers. They've added length and width to my chest as well as a nice full look.

Anyone who needs a 'full' chest shouldn't worry too much about cranking up the inclines bench press to 'bring the chest up' but should be concentrating on 'filling' the chest in with declines.

brian11 is offline Member
    I've been talking to a few guys around the gym who have started doing workouts on incline and decline and auxillary stuff like cables, but have for the most part left out flat bench. They just started a few weeks ago so I guess they are yet to see the end result but so far they say that they love it and are already seeing gains.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i did them a lot when i started working out, but i rarely do them now, my lower chest is pretty good, but upper is lagging so i hit that hard.

Fame is offline Junior Member
    I also did them when i first started. I now feel i have much better results using Leaning forward Weighted Dips in place of decline. For me its Incline, Flat, and Leaning forward weighted dips, fly's or pecdec

Quake is offline Member
    If you want that monster overhang and want your chest to "still be there" in a double biceps pose then you've got to do Declines at least occasionally.

pvgirl08 is offline Female Member
    I read an article in the NSCA research journal about decline bench and it said that it activates more muscle fibers in your pecs than incline does. Ask hypertrophy about it, he's knows more of the details on that article.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleb
    I've talked to alot of people who think doing decline DB's or barbell is a waste of time and that it is not real good for developing any kind of mass. They say throw in an extra incline workout instead. Any truth to this? Thanks
    These individuals are uneducated. Surface Electromyogram is representative of the entire electrical activity of the motor units and the frequency of their firing rates for the muscle being examined. Electromyography shows that the decline DB press and decline bar press activate the most motor untis of the pectoralis major. Incline DB press and incline bar activates the most motor units of the pectoralis minor.
    Be well rounded and hit your chest from all angles!!!

i dont do it often, like i said, but i dont think it is a waste of time at all i agree that the leaning foreward dips are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    These individuals are uneducated. Surface Electromyogram is representative of the entire electrical activity of the motor units and the frequency of their firing rates for the muscle being examined. Electromyography shows that the decline DB press and decline bar press activate the most motor untis of the pectoralis major. Incline DB press and incline bar activates the most motor units of the pectoralis minor.
    Be well rounded and hit your chest from all angles!!!
    did the study state anything re. decline bb press vs. leaning forward weighted dips?

Dips were referenced to tricep activation. Nothing on chest activation and dips. That could be a valid point, dips might be better than decline, but I am saying that the people telling him that declines are a waste of time might not be the sharpest tool in the shed when it come to biomechanics/physiology of resistance training. I like dips too.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Declines = weakman's dips!.

I was just curious because over the last year i had read various articles (which arent neccesarily scientific) stating the benefits of "Leaning forward" dips (looking at floor) for chest (vs. straight up and down for tri's), over decline bench.
    I for one, seperated my AC joint on decline last year and stayed away for the last 6 months or so, and switched to the leaning forward style dips, and seeing good gains.

But i also have heard the 'myths' or whatever u would call them re. decline bench. My uncle is a former competitive body builder of over 15 years(8 NY titles), and was one who never does decline, as a couple other competitive bb'ers i know. Their statements to me surrounded that they felt they had good lower chest developement and upper chest developement was more of what they needed to work on, and w/ incline, and flat they got what they needed (although i know i see a lot of them do flat bench, with a large arch, which i've heard can almost 'mimic' decline bench ROM, which is why u can handle more weight) so maybe they can get their lower development from that..shrug

i've heard the whole thing, and i wouldnt tell someone they dont 'need' to do decline, i just feel that the leaning forward dips are better for me, and someone might want to give them a try, i dont have the articles on hand that explained the benefits over decline, but i think some where on bodybuilding.com or tmag if i remember correctly.

But now that i think of it, since i do like switching rutiene, it may be time soon to go back to decline for a couple weeks ( sometimes i just dont like doing 3 presses , around 10 sets of presses, and like throwing the dips in to get away from som pressing)

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Declines = weakman's dips!.
    I LIKE THAT! I always see people doing decline, and im the only one i see doing weighted dips for chest (some do them for tri's)....like i said in the previous post, i just cant get myself to feel right doing 12 sets of presses for chest, i just feel better going from incline, to flat, then over to weigted leaning forward dips....just seems to make sense and give more variety. By the time i get to flat im already partially 'tired' and i think thats why i injured myself in decline in the past, i was the last set of a drop set on decline, which was prob like my 13th set or some crap, lost form and seperated the AC joint.

with weighted dips do you guys use the belt or put the dum between ankles? i only assume if using heavy weight you dont have it at ankles

i use a dip belt, they also make the vest which are supposed to be the best (atleast for pullups)

I dont have my own dip belt so in the rare occurance i have to train outside my gym, and the gym doesnt have one, i would prob skip for that day....i can do pullups w/ a weight between my feet, or reg dips, but leaning forward dips are a little harder cause the weight between your feet tends to pull u upright and making it more of a tricep exercise

edit: oh btw, dip belts are REAL cheap....some people even use a regular belt and just buy a chain from the hardware strore...but dip belts are a little different and 'softer' so to say , leather

You could be on to something!!! Do what works. I rarely to declines, hehe. I "feel" other exercises better so choose to do them. But to Kaleb, they are not a waste of time. Could there possible be a better substitute, maybe??
    Fame-that was long~

ok, sorry lol...next time i'll just post links!

ill see if i can find something, but im only online for another 1/2 hour lol

Who's butt is that in your avatar??
    I don't mind reading, i'm at work, so. . .
    Gotta go down a protein shake and some almonds.
    Did the great genetics of a bodybuilder trickle down to you from your uncle??

I wish...its actually my 'aunts husband'...if u know what i mean, so we dont have blood lines. He is retired, but doing a comeback (for masters i guess, he's 40 this year)..some magazine just did a little blurb on him like 5 months ago...whats good is he is a trainer now, and has a full gym at his house...pretty much everything you'd need, cables, smith machine (if u like those lol), squat rack, slide, calf raise, dumbells up to 140lbs shoulder press, etc etc, so its a great asset to have on holidays and stuff when gyms are closed, and he's always been more than willing to help me w/ anything i've needed, even free supplements...but more than anything its great just to get advice and train w/ him. I am doing my first cycle though, so im a little weary of going there right now, as i know if he see's or thinks, he'd get on me a bit, since he had a history of them (obviously), and had to have triple bypass heart surgery 4 years ago...
    I also train w/ a guy who is 32, and going into his first competition but is massive and also gives great advice..being around 'long timers' is great since they've 'been there done that' and know from experience instead of reading and stuff.

i got that avitar from http://www.genteplayera.com/gentepla...ndex.php?cat=4 and there are many many more ass shots and beautiful girls there...if u want an avitar thats the place to go! I had like 10 choices but settled on this one! lol.

have a good day, my office is closing at 1pm (eastern)!! Off to the gym, for me, i gotta go down some oatmeal and a prewo shake! hehe

Thread Information