Kaleb is offline Associate Member

Wierd day at the gym today.

Today I was at the gym and had switched up my routine so I can concentrate on legs more. I've been working out for about 4-5 months and have been skipping leg day almost every week because my routine was already 6 days on 1 day off. So I go into the gym today expecting my legs to be absolutely pitiful. I'm 18 and I'm 5'8'' 155lbs. So I start to squat and throw on 225 and do it 10 times easy. Throw on 275 and squat it 7 times. Wanted to go up more but this is the first time I've squatted heavy at all and the last time I squatted was probably 3 months ago. Then I get on leg press and do 540lbs 6 times. I was really pleased with the leg strength, but just based on my age, etc. Is this pretty good weight to be working with?

motoxxxguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, first of all, I feel that anytime you go into the gym feelinglike your workout is going to be pitiful, it will be. Weightlifting is as much a mental game as it is a physical one. You obviously have no trouble lifting the weight you did, but going into it, did you think it would be a problem, or that you wouldn't be able to lift it?

Without knowing what your goals are, it's hard to say what you should be working with.

Congrats on a good workout today, but give us some more info on your goals, and we can discuss your routine a little more in depth.

-moto

My main goal is to get ****ing humongous and strong!! But I didn't feel like I was going to hve a bad workout, just that I wouldn't be able to do near that amount of weight. I thought my legs would be much weaker.

But thanks for the congrats bro.

So how do your legs feel today!?

If you want to get huge, you need to use your two best lifts, heavy squats and heavy deadlifts. I would suggest not doing either more than once a week, and I usually rotate, squats one week, deads the next. Both, if you actually go heavy enough, but a serious strain on your CNS, and require a lot of recovery time. But these lifts alone will pack on more muscle, all over your body, than all other excercises combined.

Also, it is beneficial to you to make an increase in your lifts everytime you go into the gym, esecially on these excercises. Don't do the same weight you did last time, just because you know you can. Throw on 5-10lbs more than last time, and do like it was light weight.

-moto

brian11 is offline Member
    Sounds like you might be overtraining. If you were already going 6 out of 7 days and now you are going 7 days a week! That is too much. I dont know what you do each day but from the sound of it you are probably spending quite a bit of time there each day since you say you want to get huge. I think you need to reconsider how much time you are at the gym. Your muscles have to recover or you wont get big/stronger.

-B-

Good call Brian, I missed that part.

Kaleb, how about posting what your normal workout split looks like each week, and we'll see what may need changing. I only hit the gym 3-4 days a week myself, I couldn't imagine going 7!

-moto

brian11 is offline Member
    Yea lets see the workout. Sometimes i go five, but one of those days will typically be just abs and talking to the female trainers

-B-

7 days? **** no. I go 5 on 2 off.
    Mon- Legs
    Tue- Chest
    Wed- Off
    Thur- Arms
    Fri- Back
    Sat- Shoulders/Traps
    Sun- Off

I do deadlifts on back day every week. Do you think with 4 sets of deadlifts in my back workout I should switch back to Thursday maybe?

Thread Information