se11 is offline Associate Member

Swimming, cuts and cardio question

I was wondering if swimming is considered a form of cardio and also I've herd swimming can cut up your arms pretty nice, but I don't know because I'm not really a swimmer.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Swimming is definitely cardio, try it swim as hard as you can for 30 minutes and see if you are out of breath.

Swimming works your arms and back and will do a good job of "cutting" both if your diet is in control, i.e. you are burning more calories than you are comsuming.

aussiejuicer is offline Associate Member
    There's a debate over whether swimming is a good form of fat burning or not. It obviously burns calories but burns less fat as other types of cardio because of the body's inability to raise its core temperature enough to do so. It is a great exercise to tone and strengthen muscles especially the smaller ones that are often injured during intense training.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    What if you swam in hot water and your core temp was elevated, as was HR, then would it be good??

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    So you get like, heat exhaustion and heat stroke, sweet. But skerreously, where would you find a lap pool big enough and hot enough? Your core temp is 98.6 and you wont feel that the water is actually hot until its getting close to that. Room temp is around 72 and most pools are probably between 65-75 degrees. Ocean water could get up to 80 in Florida or sumthin, but to get to 100 youll haffta find a hot tub thats huge.

okay, thanks for your help

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Substrate utilization during cold climate is not changed~

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Substrate utilization during cold climate is not changed~
    ????

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Swimming is a great break from normal forms of cardio. One of the many reasons is the fact that it's a low-impact form or raising your heart rate. Add in the combo of controlled breathing (anaerobic) and a little bit of resistance and it's great for either pre or post workouts.

Most people prefer to swim after their workout since you work up a good sweat and it's relaxing effect. But in terms of 'cutting' you up better then any other form of cardio...I guess with the added resistance it would be usefull for the smaller muscles as mentioned earlier, but it wouldn't be noticeable. It's not a 'secret' form of cardio.

Good luck bro.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Swimming is good cardio if your looking for endurance, but if your looking to burn fat and no muscle, a brisk walk in the morning for an hour on an empty stomach is the way to go for sure. I imagine that swimming would be too streneous for fat burning and start using muscle glycogen instead of fat for fuel.

Thread Information