xfade7 is offline Member

Dumbell Bench Hard to increase

I've been doing dumbell bench for awhile now, i weight 150 lbs and can do 15 reps on 60 lbs easily, my problem is that I dont have any 65 lbs and its really hard for me to pick up the 70s (sad I know), and start benching them. I was wondering if there is any way to make picking up the db's and hoisting them up to do db presses any easier? I work out in my basement and dont have anyoen to hand them to me, any suggestions?

thanks,

xfade7

brian11 is offline Member
    Man up and do it!!!

Or try just getting the up to your knees while you are sitting on the bench. Holding them like a hammer, kick your knees up as you are laying back. That will help get momentum in getting the weight up.

-B-

xfade7 is offline Member
    yea, i know what you mean. thats how ive been doing it. I can get the 70s up and start doing the press but I can never get it in the right position or how I want to hold them to do correct form. i get them up on my knees and then when I hoist them up as I roll back, they either go too low, or i have a weird grip.. everytime. I mean, 70s arent even that much.

xfade7

Kaleb is offline Associate Member
    After one rep of it being bad form you should be able to get back good form. When I'm by myself doing DB pressed my first rep is always ugly, then they straighten out. Pick up the DB's and put them at knee level and as you sit down let them come down on top of your knees. Then kick those mother****ers back and press.

LeafsFan is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, it's an art.

You have to kick your knees up, fall backwards on your back, and press them up at the same time...if you do it right, you should have them in the air with your arms locked out...then it's just a matter of making sure your back is solid and your feet are well planted on the ground.

bubbathegut is offline Member
    u might buy those dumbell hooks..i hear they are awesome.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    When I kick back heavy ones and lay back they are usually still in the hammer position when my back hits the bench, then with the top head actually layiung on my shoulder I turn out the bottom head and press. Keep trying, I never thought it would be possible to do the weight I am doing now but it came with time.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Also, download ronnie coleman's video "the unbelievable" Watch the way he kicks up the 200lb dumbbells. Seeing him do it helped me a lot with trying to do it by myself.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    i started to just put the DB's infront of the bench
    pick them up and rest them on my knees as im sitting down on the bench. if i can do it with 140's it should be a breeze to do with 70s.

betatest is offline Associate Member
    Do a search for power hooks on google. They might be another option for you, especially working out solo.

Thread Information