YoungGuns20 is offline Junior Member

What is the best way to a fully developed Chest?

Whats better for gaining size dumbbells or bar? and should you rest on your chest before going back up? these are just questions I have had over the years, I know they might be dumb.

bubbathegut is offline Member
    some say Db's and some say barbells, thats why i like to use both in a workout..it shouldnt rest on your chest unless you are into powerlifting, it should touch and then explode back up. try varying your grip too...

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Develope the chest by doing incline, flat, dumbells, and flies. Do NOT let the bar rest on your chest. What is the point of that? The bar shouldnt even touch your chest at all.

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    The bar shouldnt even touch your chest at all.
    What the??? Explain this.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    Most people use their chest itself for stoping the bar to go back up, instead they should stop it with the muscle by not letting it touch the chest.

He asked " should I rest on the chest before going back up. I assumed he was asking if he should rest the bar on his chest before pushing back up.

It is kind of like cheating. IMO, it is bad form if you cant use strict slow motion doing bench. Slow down, slow up and stop an inch before the bar reaches the chest. Also do not arch the back. Try keeping the feet in the air so you dont automatically arch your back with your legs.

Of course this is different from the motion if you are trying to max out and show off.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I prefer flat barbell bench press. I don't like the dumbell bench press at all. You should stop the bar at about an inch above your chest, hold it for a second and then push it back up. A lot of people use momentum and just bounce the bar up and down, which stresses your tendons in the elbows and isn't doing much to work the muscles. Lower it slowly, hold it for a second just above your chest and then lift it back up.

I disagree about not arching the back. Your back should have a slight arch in it and your feet should be places flat on the ground. If you have a lower back problem, then it may feel better to have your feet up on the bench as if you were going to do a sit-up.

Good suggestion about the back being slightly arched. Everyones technique might not be suited for everyone else. Find the way that works best.

dirtybrit55 is offline Member
    i definately like barbells best cos they are far easier to spot when going heavy. Dumbells usually fatigue my grip before anything else and then when my partner gives me a spot for balance i dont feel that comfortable cos i feel the weight is gonna crash down on my head! Barbell inclines are absolutely great!! Feet wide, ass down, shoulders back and dont WIGGLE!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Working progressively...

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Work progressively with flat bench, incline, decline and flyes and your good.

MikeyZ23 is offline Associate Member
    I also feel when I'm doing barbell that touching the chest is a little stressful on the shoulders which is why I like to keep my form strict and reps slower on the negative. I usually take it down about 1 inch from the chest.

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    He asked " should I rest on the chest before going back up. I assumed he was asking if he should rest the bar on his chest before pushing back up.

It is kind of like cheating. IMO, it is bad form if you cant use strict slow motion doing bench. Slow down, slow up and stop an inch before the bar reaches the chest. Also do not arch the back. Try keeping the feet in the air so you dont automatically arch your back with your legs.

Of course this is different from the motion if you are trying to max out and show off.
    Why would why lift your feet? You should have your feet in the ground and arching your back isn't a crime.. Your ass should be on the bench....

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    My chest has always been my best bodypart.... I think for power and strength go with bar, but for a cut very full chest go with dumbells, my personal opinion and it has worked for me in tons of different workouts

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    progressive mechanical overload with good technique on both the flat barbell bench and incline barbell bench.

incorporating dumbell flat and incline 3-4 weeks or so to make sure stabilisers are not being neglected.

btw: using dumbells over barbells (or vice versa) will not make you more cut. only diet and cardio can do this.

you dont really need anything else.
    Last edited by weightshead; 08-18-2004 at 06:06 PM.

GoingBiG is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weightshead
    progressive mechanical overload with good technique on both the flat barbell bench and incline barbell bench.

incorporating dumbell flat and incline 3-4 weeks or so to make sure stabilisers are not being neglected.

btw: using dumbells over barbells (or vice versa) will not make you more cut. only diet and cardio can do this.

you dont really need anything else.
    agree...

Quote Originally Posted by weightshead
    I dont agree with this... i believe if you have the same diet and cardio and do benching and do dumbbell benching the dm benching will get you more cut, i have found this from experience with myself on many occasions depending upon what i am training for. i agree if i am eating to bulk and doing dum bench i wont get cut and eating to get cut and doing reg bench i wont get crazy mass. hope i worded this right

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    1) The genetics have to be there. 2) I have really seen better shape and fullness using dumbbells. 3) I avoid declines, I think flat and incline are enough for me. And I can just picture developing a lower chest that is gonna sag later in life.

I really had to move to mostly dumbbells because over time the barbell did some damage to my front shoulders. With dumbbells now I have no shoulder pain and I think it really gives that full range of motion that pumps up your chest. I am doing 120's on flat now. It took a long time to get to them and there is alot of work in picking them up setting them on your knees, balancing them, kicking them up and controlling/ turning them as they come up.

My chest routine is pretty simple. I use some pushup bars and do decline push ups off the stairs for a warm up. Then right into flat dumbells for 4 sets, inclines for 3sets and flys for 3 sets. Sometimes throw in some dips, and use barbells every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    I have really seen better shape and fullness using dumbbells. With dumbbells now I have no shoulder pain and I think it really gives that full range of motion that pumps up your chest.
    thank you

tdawg is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingBiG
    Why would why lift your feet? You should have your feet in the ground and arching your back isn't a crime.. Your ass should be on the bench....
    if u arch your back u can hurt your back really easily especailly since the back is usually arched in a struggling situation and puts the stress onto the lower back...the feet up in the air with legs crossed is a good way to keep your back down

diesel21 is offline Member
    for me barbells by far, espicially when you have no partner... i always do flat and incline and at least one straight bar press, dumbells def get your chest jacked, don't forget pec flies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information