Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru

cardio before or after workout?

Well ive heard conficting views about insulin levels and energy output and effectivness for fat burning whats your opinion??

Does anyone prefer the anaerobic method of cardio several short burts for a minute or so?

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    45-60 minutes on an empty stomach in the AM, at 65-75% HR

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2
    Well ive heard conficting views about insulin levels and energy output and effectivness for fat burning whats your opinion??

Does anyone prefer the anaerobic method of cardio several short burts for a minute or so?
    I do cardio on a separate day. After my workout I am toast and doing it before would take away from the workout (but I am trying to gain so my emphasis in on lifting.)

I do exactly what AandF recommends.

I do not prefer wind sprints, I go for a long "Rocky" type jog with a killer (1000 yard) hill in the middle. Getting this 210 pound 50 year old body to run for an hour is enough. My BF is about 8%, so it works.

pvgirl08 is offline Female Member
    I do cardio for 40-50 min in the early AM and then lift later in the afternoon. Doesnt seem to affect my workouts at all. Yup do it on an empty stomach. NOthing but water before cardio. Sounds hard to do but isn't bad.

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    i do my cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. sometimes i get a headache while doing it because i start feeling hungry...oh well

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member

That would be a negative!!!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy

That would be a negative!!!

true true.......

~SC~

Quake is offline Member
    Yeh, screw doing those short blast things man, it's a specific type of training for specific sports. That which most BB's, PL's etc are trying to achieve does not fall into those type of specifics....

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer272001
    Yeh, screw doing those short blast things man, it's a specific type of training for specific sports. That which most BB's, PL's etc are trying to achieve does not fall into those type of specifics....
    I do those at different types of my training, but as you said they aren't for everyone. Its important to do those at certain stages of training for a cyclist though. The key is not early in the season as your Aerobic threshold needs to be up there first otherwise its counter-productive.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    I do 20 minutes of fat-targeted cardio immediately after I workout. When you have a hard workout your muscles burn all of the glycogen they have stored up. Therefore when you hit the treadmill, your body is forced to use fat as an energy source, at least for about 20 minutes which is when it will start to burn muscle. Of course you need to get some fast GI Carbs down your throat as soon after your workout as possible, in order to restore you glycogen stores and help keep your muscles out of a catabolic state.

Some bros may disagree with this principle, but it has really worked great for me and my wife. IMO the burst type cardio routines are best for the heart, not for burning fat. Increasing and decreasing your heart rate is great excercise, but you need to get your heart at ((220 - your age) * .65) and keep it there for 20 minutes, hopefully breaking a sweat along the way. Also, I don't personally believe in cardio in the morning unless it's for a limited time. You have to remember, you haven't eaten anything for 6-9 hours [give or take]. This just begs for muscle burning IMO.

Quake is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    Heres a question....I do my cardio in the morning for about 20-25 mins on an empty stomach, but afterwards im not really in the mood to eat much. Should I just eat anyway or should i wait to eat or what?

-B-
    Try having a shake directly afterwards then waiting a little while to eat solids. Of course the best thing for you to do is to try and find out what is happenning with your body to make you feel this way. Try doing a search on an engine for "appetite studies".

You may find it's an ATP/Creatine thing. But we're all different, and have our own unique quirks.

If you keep your Max HR in the 65%-75% range you wil not burn muscle. You go above that and you will start to burn muscle weather you do it for 20 minutes or 1 hour. All depends on what your goals are, unless you are training for certain types of sports like endurance or sprinting where you are trying to raise you lactic threshold then you will not benefit much from going above that.

I'll try having a shake, maybe i will mix it with some dextrose. That is what i do after I lift. Sound alright to anyone?
    Check out this recent post for answers to your question about PWO & what to drink after cardio. dextrose/maltodextrin
    Last edited by doby48; 07-02-2004 at 12:32 PM.

Yeah after lifting you should be at a 2:1 ratio so approx 40-60g of protein and double that for the dextrose or maltodextrine.

brian11 is offline Member
    thanks

got it, dextrose after cardio....but it is ok after lifting right? I take protein, creatine, dextrose, and glutamine ( I know there are a lot of people here that don't think you need to take more glutamine, but i have it so i might as well take it)

-B-
    No, you want a protein/fat meal after cardio. Protein shake is fine, don't add dextrose. You want the dextrose in your PWO shake to replenish muscle glycogen.
    After Cardio: Protein Shake/Flax oil or almonds (EFA)
    After Lifting: Then the 2:1 ratio of protein and CHO w/dextrose
    Got it?

yea thanks, i meant in that post to say "got it, no dextrose"....sorry

Ok im taking notes on all of this sh*t so i dotn have to keep going back and checking threads when i forget!

-B-

Cool bro, just wanted to make sure.
    Later

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    No, you want a protein/fat meal after cardio. Protein shake is fine, don't add dextrose. You want the dextrose in your PWO shake to replenish muscle glycogen.
    After Cardio: Protein Shake/Flax oil or almonds (EFA)
    After Lifting: Then the 2:1 ratio of protein and CHO w/dextrose
    Got it?
    BINGO!!! and make that first pro/fat meal 45-60 mins arfter cardio.

and on a side not i dont think your 25 mins of cardio is gonna do much since it takes your body 20 mins to get in the fat burning zone. Thus only 5 mins of fat burning. try 45 mins bro

Yeah, thats a long time to go without eating, being that you are already fasted from an overnight shut-eye!!! Eat something, maybe the diet nerds can pick something for ya. haha

yea thanks, i meant in that post to say "got it, no dextrose"....sorry

Ok im taking notes on all of this sh*t so i dotn have to keep going back and checking threads when i forget!

-B-
    After I read your post I figured you meant no dextrose after cardio since asked right away "but is ok after" Glad we could help.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    If not in the am, then cardio is best to do FOLLOWING the workout period!. During a taxing heavy workout doing supersets,desending ect. you can also benefit anerobically too.

The only problem i see with doing cardio after lifting is that then when i take my shake that means having dextrose in there after cardio which is a no no

-B-

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    If not in the am, then cardio is best to do FOLLOWING the workout period!. During a taxing heavy workout doing supersets,desending ect. you can also benefit anerobically too.
    Due to my lack of knowledge, could you explain this a bit?
    Thanks

The only problem i see with doing cardio after lifting is that then when i take my shake that means having dextrose in there after cardio which is a no no

-B-
    Exactly!!!
    Best way is to seperate cardio and weight if at all possible.

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    whats a conservative cardio time that ensures no muscle waste? is it true it takes 20 mins to get into burning fat or does this happen right when target heart rate is reached?

se11 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    45-60 minutes on an empty stomach in the AM, at 65-75% HR
    why on an empty stomach? i've herd tons of people say this, but never understood it.

I think it burns more fat since you will be using stores of energy and fat while you workout

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member

-B-
    At THIS point it isn't a NO-NO, the dextrose would be a necessity seeing in essence this would be your post-workout shake.

Cardio post training works because
    1.)training depletes muscle glycogen meaning that energy utilised at this point will come from bodyfat.
    2.)Unless you take exhorbitantly long rest periods between sets, training WILL put you in a fat-burning mode.

Note: It will be harder to do tho seeing that your glycogen, energy, and concentration levels will be low.But it works.

Thread Information