Thread: muscle memory

radar1234 is offline Member

muscle memory

i am going to take a month off just to give my body a break.ive been training hard consistantly for about the last 18 months.what percentage of muscle will i lose?and how fast will it take to get it back?

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    It all depends on your body. Some people break down protein quicker than others. One person may lose a segnificant amount of muscle in a month, but the average person won't really lose any muscle after a month. I'm one of the people that will lose muscle quickly, so I drink Juven to help keep my muscle on.

should i still stick to my supplement regime;glutamine,creatine,protien powder,and nitrous,while im off?

Glutamine, creatine and protein are okay to stay on, I don't know about the last one.

They will help with keeping your muscle and strength.

iNvid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radar1234
    should i still stick to my supplement regime;glutamine,creatine,protien powder,and nitrous,while im off?
    Nitrous is a waste :0

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Make sure your taking in enough protein (at least 1g per lb of bodyweight while your off, as well as enough carbs). That should help you maintain weight/muscle. Ive never taken a month off, but im sure it will help. Most ive done was 2.5 weeks because of a back injury, and didnt lose much. Follow this and you should be good.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    everybody is different. best you can do is get back on a good diet and workout, it'l come back.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    You might just leave it to 2 weeks off man... that should be plenty

hurt my lower back.2 weeks may not be enough

Kaleb is offline Associate Member
    A month shouldn't be bad bro if you keep your protein calorie intake high. Plus, if you lost a little bit of muscle in that month how long do you think it would take to get it back? I'd say not more than a month back on.

pvgirl08 is offline Female Member
    Lots of protein. A month wont kill you. They say before 30 years old muscle is lost very slowely. Of course varies depending on individual. I read somewhere strength is lost before muscle is lost but I dont get that one. Anyone know? Hope your back feels better!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvgirl08
    Lots of protein. A month wont kill you. They say before 30 years old muscle is lost very slowely. Of course varies depending on individual. I read somewhere strength is lost before muscle is lost but I dont get that one. Anyone know? Hope your back feels better!
    Yeah, for the same reason strength is gained before hypertrophy occurs.
    (Neuromuscular Adapatation)

pvgirl08 is offline Female Member
    Oh yeah, forgot about that one! Thanks hypertrophy you're always such a help!

thank for the great feedback

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    You could take a full week off, or even 2 I guess, then go into the gym and just use very light weights if only to minimize atrophy.

brian11 is offline Member
    radar, didnt you say you hurt your back on another thread? If so then you dont have much choice but to take time off regardless of what you lose. Take it from someone who has major problems with his SI joint in my lower back. Don't F*uck with your back.

-B-

i did hurt my back.thats the main reason for my layoff.i i thought because of my back i could give the rest of my body time off.
    how did you hurt your si joint?

brian11 is offline Member
    baseball in high school. I didnt stretch before batting practice and i was laid up for a week in bed. I just got done recently rehabing it after hurting it playing basketball. The chiro says that there really isnt anything i can do to fix the problem. Just to stretch and do things like back crunches, but that it is always at risk of being reaggrevated. Oh well....

-B-

BIP0LAR is offline New Member
    I injured my wrist about 6 weeks ago and had to take off 4 weeks before i was able to lift again, i had been training for about a year with no break. Honestly I broke my diet and didn't do cardio at all during the 4 weeks. Surprisingly I stayed at the same weight although my bf% went upa little. I started working out last week again started slow, but while I have lost some size and am not as cut, I still have retained most of my strength only dropped about 5 to 10 lbs. I think you should be alright since you've been training for so long.

daos is offline Associate Member
    just make sure you get back in the gym

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey.. just a word to the wise.. Many ppl suggest to get gear when you injure your back.. especially something that puts a lot of water in the joints.. this is the worst thing you can do.. Hope you recover well man

dont do the gear.thanks for the wisdom

Quake is offline Member
    I'm not sure I agree with the advice given by many.

Firstly the reason for high protein intake whilst training is that it is utilised by the body for recovery. Whilst not training it will not be utilised in this way and so will largely go unused and deposit itself in other ways (of which I am not sure of), whilst at the same time making your liver work hard to process it all. I'd say you could cut back on your protein intake.

The same goes for calorie intake, you must know the reason behind the old wives tale "When you stop training all the muscle turns to fat" It obviously doesn't turn to fat, but people still keep the appetite they had whilst training and continue to eat in the same way. Because the calories aren't being burnt up with training they deposit themselves as fat on your body.

The creatine will be of no benefit to you whilst not training. It again is to do with muscle energy (ATP I believe) and will not be used when not training, but would be excellent as a kick to getting your training back to the levels you were at when you stopped. I'd discontinue use whilst off, then restart use when you restart training.

Glutamine is a good supplement to take whether training or not as it has to do with maintaining healthy mental function so continue taking that.

Nitrous I don't know anything about, sorry.

Hope this helps.

P.S. if you are coming off cycle as well as stopping training, then expect a greater loss than if you were just training. I'm not suggesting you continue the cycle whilst not training, just saying the likely consequences. But I'm still a novice with AS, so I might be wrong on this point.

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    missing a month is going to make it hard getting back in. When I had to miss a month when I moved I had a hell of a time getting back in and I shrunk like crazy. I would never take that much time off again. But if you're injured and you have to, do what you gotta do.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    i love your avatar prairie.........

Duma is offline Associate Member
    but im guessing you werent natural when u did that prairie,,,correct me if im wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Duma
    but im guessing you werent natural when u did that prairie,,,correct me if im wrong
    no im completly natural. until monday that is

mind you once i got back into it i got that muscle back like nothing

Thread Information