brian11 is offline Member

? about big guys

This is kind of a general question directed toward any of the muscle groups. Lately I have seen a lot of threads on here talking about how many sets to do and how often and what not. The answer seems to be only once a week just a few sets to shock the muscle into growth. My question is then, all these big ass body builders and even people like Swole, are you saying that they got that big by only doing 6 sets of biceps once a week? That is just an example but you get what im saying. I would just think that one would be rewarded for lifting more by getting bigger, as long as you dont really overdue it. If bodybuilders are getting big by only doing a few sets then thats fine, i'll believe it.

-B-

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    It's multifaceted!!

right, i understand about the diet and so forth and its importance. But my question just focuses on the lifting. No diet or supplement routine will get you big without lifting.

-B-

I understand, the lifting is multifaceted. You used Swole as an example. He just doesn't do 5 sets of Tri's. He does chest and shoulders before that. Same with back and bi's, those are big considerations. Also frequency and intensity play a major role. You won't see an individual with 20 inch arms curling 30 lb Dbells for 5 sets of 10, just one time per week. Just not gonna happen.

iNvid is offline Senior Member
    They do 6 sets or whatever of about every muscle. If you look at some workout plans, you will see how organized they are about it. Plus they all have been working out for years before getting big.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I find my body responds the best to hitting everything twice a week. However, I start to burn out around three weeks into my routine. At that point, I hit everything once a week and up my calories, then take a few days off. Then I repeat.

It's different for everyone. It's always good to switch up your reps, sets and routine. There's no universal method for a sure-fire routine as we all are different.

As a bodybuilder, sometimes you need to prioritize your training. For myself, my calvevs and triceps are always hit first in the week when I'm fresh and well rested as they are my weak spots.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I understand where you are coming from... I went to Markus Ruhl's Web site and his best advice was to use the "Weider Principle" of "Instinctive Training" its a bunch of bullsh!t... almost like he knows less about his training then we do.

Also, genetics. I have know many large/muscular guys in my life that hadn't really tampered with AAS, if at all... and thought, "Man, if he would just clean up his diet, train a lot better and get geared up - he'd be an animal!"

But just always keep an ear open to good coaches and training theories and you will find ways to promote the best growth for YOU. Some coaches have Web sites, like CharlesPoliquin.net and MyoDynamics.com(Coach Staley)...

BTW - if that is your girl in your avatar - MARRY HER... screw personality - she would make a great trophy wife Gorgeous...

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Awesome links warrior.

Yea, she is, and shes got a personality to match...and shes a nurse! So when i drink myself silly, she is there to revive me :spudniksh

-B-

Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    Yea, she is, and shes got a personality to match...and shes a nurse! So when i drink myself silly, she is there to revive me :spudniksh

-B-
    You guys need to break up, so you can post her naked like you did your last girlfriend.
    I think that was you~

dont worry, if she breaks up with me, she will get the same treatment!!!

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    ummm Well I can't wait till you guys break up hehe jj

jonnytour is offline Member
    bump that needmore! lol

MrDezel is offline Banned
    Yo I heard your gf was down at that place on the corner giving out hand jobs.... Time to dump her and post some nakie pics!

Dude she looks like Britney Spears if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior

BTW - if that is your girl in your avatar - MARRY HER... screw personality - she would make a great trophy wife Gorgeous...
    i second that!!

worldknown is offline Banned
    **** man she is so ****ing fine, keep that ass tyte man good luck with that relationship she sounds like a steal. As for sets ya i know it sounds kind of weird how 6 sets at max can really help you growth larger than say 12. Maybe thats my problem whatever, i might cut back. intresting thread thanks

Quake is offline Member
    Nah, she's an animation! There's no way girls like that are real.

But I agree with you. Growth for me means at least ten sets per muscle group, usually more. A usual split per muscle group would look something like this -

1st exercise - 5 sets starting at 15 or 20 reps and going down in steps to 6 or 8 reps (if going up a weight this might be 2 or 3 reps)
    2nd exercise - 3 to 4 sets starting at 10 reps and going down to 4 or 6 reps (again maybe as little as 2 if going up a weight)
    3rd exercise - same as second exercise.

If feeling like I could do more I might do a 4th exercise at the same rate as the 2nd exercise, unless I fatigue during the sets.

I will also use forced, partial and static reps from time to time, especially if I've been on the same weight for a number of weeks.

Thread Information