Elliot is offline Anabolic Member

Please do critique my routine..

Never posted here but here it goes.. I do a 4 days on 1 day off as of now.. Ending this month, it’s going to be 2 days on 1 off.. Here it is tell me what I should improve all critiques are welcomed as long as they're constructive.. In addition, the order of the exercises is the same as is posted..

Day 1 (Legs)

3 Sets of Squats
    3 Sets of Leg Curls
    3 Sets of Laying Ham Curls
    3 Sets of Leg Presses
    3 Sets of Seated Calve Presses
    3 Sets of Donkey Calve Reises/3 Sets of Standing Calf Raisers
    3 Sets of Deadlifts with shrugs at the top..

Day 2 (Chest and Shoulders)

3 Sets of Flat Bench
    3 Sets of Incline Bench
    3 Sets of Incline/Flat DB Presses
    3 Sets of Flat Flies
    3 Sets of Cable Crossovers
    -------------------------------
    3 Sets of Arnold/Regular Presses
    3 Sets of Side Lateral Raises
    3 Sets of Front Lateral Raises
    3 Sets of Rear Delt Raises (Using Cables)

Day 3 (Back)
    Pull-ups (Warm up)
    3 Sets of Pulldowns (Wide Grip)
    3 Sets of Isolated Pulldowns
    3 Sets of Bend Over Rolls
    3 Sets of Weighted Hyper Extensions
    3 Sets of Upright Rolls
    3 Sets of DB Shrugs

Day 4 (Arms)

5 Sets of Preacher Curls
    5 Sets of 21's
    5 Sets of DB Curls
    5 Sets of Hammer Curls
    5 Sets of Tricept Pulldowns
    5 Sets of Behind The Back DB Extensions
    5 Sets of Skull Crushers..

I try to do abs, calves, forearms and traps EOD..

Rip away guys..

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    I Like your routine, the only thing i would do different is i wouldnt do shoulders and chest on the same workout..

Quote Originally Posted by phatmark
    I Like your routine, the only thing i would do different is i wouldnt do shoulders and chest on the same workout..

so should i put them in with back..? im usually extreamly exusted after back so it'll be just knocking a dead horse.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I would move the deads from the last set on leg day to the first on back day. Maybe throw in lunges on leg day to replace the workload reduction from swapping out deads.
    I agree that is a workload that is better suited to 2 on 1 off. Also, Don't train traps EOD, train your neck EOD. Traps get worked with deads, shrugs, and any overhead pressing. Strong neck, traps will follow. Same deal with forearms. Lift heavy and forearms get worked, EOD specific training will just dick with your grip on heavy deads, chin ups, etc.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    I usually do shoulders by themselves. I find that you cant do much after blasting your shoulders to the proper pumpatude. Unless you do chest/tris, back/bis and then have your shoulder day and have more time to do traps/forarms or abs.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Yeah dude, split it up into 5 days or if you want to keep 4, just put bi's with back and tris with shoulders. Dont do deadlifts after all those leg exercises, do them first in your back workout.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    I would move the deads from the last set on leg day to the first on back day. Maybe throw in lunges on leg day to replace the workload reduction from swapping out deads.
    I agree that is a workload that is better suited to 2 on 1 off. Also, Don't train traps EOD, train your neck EOD. Traps get worked with deads, shrugs, and any overhead pressing. Strong neck, traps will follow. Same deal with forearms. Lift heavy and forearms get worked, EOD specific training will just dick with your grip on heavy deads, chin ups, etc.
    what do you do to train your neck?

Either lie down on a bench face up or face down and put a 10lb plate wrapped in a towel over your face or back of head and move up and down... can also do this side to side. A neck harness also works, or a neck machine.

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    i wouldnt suggest training your neck specificly.you could seriously injure yourself. if you pull a neck muscle you wont be able to do much of anything. It'll get bigger with trap exercises and deadlifts.

cokdiesl is offline Junior Member
    20 sets for biceps? seems like alot bro especially when you have 21's in there i would lighten the load a lil bit the highest i would go is 9 i personnally stay at 6 and that's when my arms started growing i do 9 sets for ticeps but they take up 2/3 of ur arms and probably deserve a lil more attention

yeah, like cokdiesl said, WAY too many sets for arms

The reason why I like to deadlift as my last set it just puts the finishing touches on a badass leg workout... DL's really improved my hammy's, however I will give it a try. As far as the thing of EOD goes, I just do them for a peace of mind. My traps and forearms are really lacking ...

In response to the arms comment, I have tried doing 10 sets for arms and never gained size or strength. However, this puts my arms on complete blast to an extent where I can’t even lift them. In the 3 weeks that I have been doing it, my strength has improved and arms are becoming much more defined.

Thank you for your responses guys

I assumed you are doing regular deads and not stiff leg deads. Stiff leg deads have a place on leg day IMO but regular deads are definitely worthy of their own day. If your traps and forearms are lacking there is no better exercise to work up to heavy weight with than deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    The reason why I like to deadlift as my last set it just puts the finishing touches on a badass leg workout... DL's really improved my hammy's, however I will give it a try. As far as the thing of EOD goes, I just do them for a peace of mind. My traps and forearms are really lacking ...
    I do neck bridges but you could use a 4 way neck machine if you don't want to invest the time in getting the neck bridge movement down because there is an adaptation period where you spend the first while just trying to get flexible enough to ease into the correct position. Most people are not naturally flexible enough to get into proper neck bridge position without working at it.

what do you do to train your neck?
    I disagree. With that train of thought you could say any exercise has potential to be detrimental to a given joint or the surrounding soft tissue. The only reason I could see someone not wanting to train neck is if they don't care that it gets bigger/stronger or whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by PrarieDawg
    i wouldnt suggest training your neck specificly.you could seriously injure yourself.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Just curious, why do u have no decline bench for chest?

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Just curious, why do u have no decline bench for chest?
    Because it would add, three sets, which I wouldn’t have strength for... i might swich up every now and then just to keep things fresh... and yes chica i do stiffleg deads... They're great... What’s your opinion on the arms day..?

I disagree. With that train of thought you could say any exercise has potential to be detrimental to a given joint or the surrounding soft tissue. The only reason I could see someone not wanting to train neck is if they don't care that it gets bigger/stronger or whatnot.
    your neck might get big but if you train it improperly you'll have problems down the road. I'll never put any direct resistance on my spine. If you train another body part improperly big deal, you're just using other muscles instead. You train your neck improperly you're not using other muscles, you're using your spine.

Quote Originally Posted by cokdiesl
    20 sets for biceps? seems like alot bro especially when you have 21's in there i would lighten the load a lil bit the highest i would go is 9 i personnally stay at 6 and that's when my arms started growing i do 9 sets for ticeps but they take up 2/3 of ur arms and probably deserve a lil more attention
    i dont totally agree with this,... i do between 12-18 sets for biceps everytime and i am very happy with them... its preference but when i see big guys at the gym with small biceps its usually because all i ever see them do is things like chest and dont give the biceps enough work....

i dont totally agree with this,... i do between 12-18 sets for biceps everytime and i am very happy with them... its preference but when i see big guys at the gym with small biceps its usually because all i ever see them do is things like chest and dont give the biceps enough work....
    It depends on the person. People I've worked out with say their arms exploded after cutting their routine down to 6 or 8 sets per bi and tri. I tried it and went no where. I need to lift until I cant feel my arms for me to make strength gains.

ya i guess i can see it being done in lower reps if you really push them, i like to do bis until they feel as hard as a rock or like u say cant feel them anymore..

I see where you are coming from with the issue of risk when we are talking about back bridges but I think it's pretty safe to say it would be rather difficult to injure your spine on a 4-way neck machine or with isometric resistance. Besides, you risk spinal injury every time you get on the mat, on the ice, or the gridiron. Hell, you risk it even when you drive your car.

A BB has no real need to train neck but if you value functional, athletic training you have to train everything IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    your neck might get big but if you train it improperly you'll have problems down the road. I'll never put any direct resistance on my spine. If you train another body part improperly big deal, you're just using other muscles instead. You train your neck improperly you're not using other muscles, you're using your spine.

cokdiesl is offline Junior Member
    yeah personally before i knew any different i went in the same direction to where the sets were up there and i couldnt even make my protein shake after workout w/o assistance now that i dropped my sets between 6-9 they havent stopped growing so i guess it varies (just like everything else in this sport) person to person

Thread Information