Devil Dog74 is offline Associate Member

Question workout critique please

Ok before you read I want you to know this is a long post.

I want to improve my PFT to perfection. Because I"m still a marine. Although I desire to be Strong. I have a routine 5 day split.

Current stats: 5'10 189lbs 12% bf got taped by the JTF army hospital because I physically looked overweight to to them . 230 PFT 13 pull ups, 23:45 run and 100 crunches

Bench 310 lbs
    Squat 450 lbs
    dead lift 415 lbs

Monday Chest + Abs
    Tuesday Bi's + Abs
    Wed Leg day + Abs
    Thrus Tri's + Abs
    Fri Back and Shoulder + Abs

Sat and Sun ....ABS

That is my 5 day split and i wanted to know if it was possible to fit this other routine in for my marine corp pull up enhancement?

The Armstrong Pull-up Program

This program was developed by Major Charles Lewis Armstrong. Major Armstrong developed this workout to prepare him to set a new world record in number of pull-ups completed in a single exercise session. The use of another modified version of this program by the Marine Option Midshipmen at the University of Rochester in the last two years has proved to be dramatic.

Midshipmen using this program are counseled to make a sincere effort to use the program regularly, to do the exercises each day. The key feature of this program is its simplicity, but will result in substantial benefits if performed on a consistent daily basis.

The program provides the necessities for any successful physical improvement regime, namely variety, overload and regularity. Users have achieved remarkable results in only 6-8 weeks. This means that most, if not all, have been able to achieve the performance level they desired, a set of 20 repetitions, as long as they are consistent with the program.

It cannot be overemphasized that this program depends upon regularity. Daily performance of the exercises listed in the following paragraphs holds the true key to reaching and maintaining the 20-repetition level.

The Morning Routine

Each morning, perform 3 maximum effort sets of normal push-ups. This is very important!! The push-up is one of the best exercises for strengthening the entire set of muscles making up the shoulder girdle. Major Armstrong described this morning routine in the following manner: After rising, I would drop to the deck and do my first set of push-ups. I would then move into the head and start my morning toilet. I would return after a few minutes and do my second maximum effort set after which, I would go back into the head and shave. After shaving I would return to the bedroom and complete the third and final set. Having completed all of the push-ups, I was awake and ready for a relaxing shower.

This routine should be followed during the entire training period. Since it takes most of us at least four weeks to reach our goals, you will probably find that you have inadvertently established a morning routine that is easy enough to keep as a lifetime habit. If not you will at least appreciate the morning shower a little more.

I have noted that the push-up routine helps to alleviate any soreness during the first couple of weeks. I recommend that you use the push-up routine every day during this period so that you feel more comfortable during your initial adjustment to this regime of exercises.

Training Regimen

The following represents the heart of the training program. I recommend that you do not attempt the pull-ups until two to three hours after the push-up routine is completed. The program is conveniently divided into five training days. This is easily translated into a Monday to Friday training schedule. It is important to cease the pull-ups for two days, Saturday and Sunday. Further it is necessary to use consecutive days (not to skip days) when on the pull-up routine. Finally, it is obviously more important to do the pull-ups than the push-ups.

This training program was specifically designed to improve performance in the overhand pull-up (palms facing away). The overhand method is the preferred method, but for now do what you need to in order to complete the most repetitions for your PFT. Mix up your training between underhand and overhand until you can do twenty both ways. The program depends upon quality exercises – number of repetitions are secondary. When you are doing these exercises, you should concentrate on perfect execution of each repetition. The only person you can fool with less than your best is yourself.

Day 1

Five maximum effort sets. Rest 90 seconds between each set. Do not concern yourself with numbers. You will find that you increase the numbers in the last two sets before you see much improvement in the first three. Make sure that each set is a maximum effort set.

Day 2

Pyramid day. Start the pyramid with one repetition, the next set has two, and the next set has three. Continue in this fashion until you miss a set (e.g. your last set was four then five, your next set should be six but you only do four repetitions. You missed the set) Do one more set at maximum effort. Rest 10 seconds for each repetition in the previous set.

Day 3

Do three training sets (training sets are defined later) with a normal grip (palms away or toward you, hands slightly wider than shoulder width). Rest 60 seconds between each set. Slide your hands together and palms toward you so your little fingers are 0-4 inches apart and complete three more training sets resting 60 seconds between each set. Finally do three training sets with a wide overhand grip (palms facing away) resting 60 seconds between each set.

Day 4

Do the maximum number of training sets that you can accomplish. Rest 60 seconds between each set. You do training sets until you fail to do a perfect training set. This day can wind up being the longest training day as you continue with the program because you will find it easy to do lots of training sets. If you can do more than nine training sets, increase by one repetition next week.

Day 5

Repeat the day that you found to be the hardest in the previous four days. This may change from week to week. You can also try to doing weighted pull-ups or a pull-up assist machine for this day.

Training Sets

Training sets are easy to define, but require some experimentation to determine for the individual participating in the program. A training set has a specified number of repetitions. That means that one individual may have seven repetitions in his training set, but another could have more or less. The key to determining the proper number of repetitions in a training set comes on day 3. You must perform 9 training sets that day. If you only do 12 repetitions on a max effort set, then your training set would probably only be 1-3 repetitions. Remember, it is much more important that you complete all nine sets than doing an extra rep and only completing 6 or 7 sets. Day 3 calls for you to do nine training sets. Adjust your training set so that you can complete this routine properly.

The best gauge for the number of repetitions in a training set comes on day 4. If you successfully complete day 3, try increasing the number of repetitions in your training set by one when you do day 4. If you complete at least 9 training sets, then you know your training set should be that higher number. If you do less than nine sets, stick with the number you used for day 3.

It is important that you do not change the repetitions in a training set in midstream. When you schedule yourself to do the day’s routine using three repetitions in your training set, do not change it to two when the exercises get hard. If you miss, you miss. There is always tomorrow.

Final Thoughts

This program will work for anyone who makes a sincere effort. You may notice a drop in your maximum effort set. This is a normal physiological reaction called "tear down." As you continue, you will improve. Most of my midshipmen were able to reach the 20- repetition level in a short period of time. They started the program able to do only twelve to fifteen repetitions. If you are not at this level, it will take longer than four weeks to reach 20 repetitions. However, if you stay with the program, you will reach this goal.

Or should i just go 2 weeks on 5 day split and 1 week on pull up training guide and back to 5 day split then 2 week pull up training guide and so on. Or should i just drop the 5 day split.

I am just worried if i go the marine corp route i'll lose my corp strenght in chest legs bi's tri's but not back . I just need advice can someone shed some light on this Devil.

Devil Dog74

brian11 is offline Member
    Sorry, wayyyyyyy toooooo long for me to read while im at work, but I will certainly comment on others comments

-B-

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    I got like a 245 as my best for the APFT last semester in ROTC. Ive been busting my ass tho to get it higher. That split looks great tho. The max wieght I can be for my hieght is 195. Right now Im 175 down from 180 on a diet before I do M1T. Its gonna be sweet when they want to tape me cuz Ill get reeel big all of a sudden. Whats the Marines PT test have in it?

Thumbs up

Marine Corp PT Test consists of

3 mile run ranging from 18 min for best run time to 28 min worse time

crunches which are holding ur biceps and doing them for 2 min 45 for minimum and 100 for best.

and finally the pull ups 3 pull ups for minimal effort and 20 for max

the pull ups are dead hang and must come to a complete hang before they can count. Chin over bar and complete dead hang. It sounds easy but its not.

Normally the test will set up like this

Pull ups
    Crunches
    Then run
    And if they want to they will weigh u in after that!

Devil Dog74

Any body want to scratch my Bump.

Just need some info if i should stick wit 5 day split and add just weighted pull ups on seperate day or cut the 5 dayer and go with armstrongs pull ups and never build anything else.

Devil dog74

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Stick with the 5 day split, If you only work your arms then the rest of your muscles will slack and you wont be as strong overall. If you want your pullups to go up then hit your lats reel hard. The Army's PT test is as many pushups in two min, as many situps in two min as you can do, then a two mile run in less than 15 min. For my age anyway, it changes for every age.

Anyone have any advice? go body building 5 day split or remain devil dog pull up max. I know if i stay 5 day i'll be strong overall but if i go pull up i'll lose most of my hardwork i've been doing just for 20 messly pull-ups...

Devil Dog74

PAK22 is offline New Member
    I took time and read your post. I my self served 6yrs. not in the Marines but the ARMY as a RANGER. Keep in mind what type of training are you going for. Speaking from experience, I would cycle the training periods. Remember, it's hard to keep mass in the military unless your in the rear with the gear.

I agree it is hard to keep mass on while in the military. Especially the Marines! But i'm not in the rear. I'm in gtmo. I have nothing better to do then pack on mass since i'll be leaving in december. I have 2 options pack on mass or become a pft stud. I think the army has somewhat an advantage over marines... as far as weight standards and pt routines. right now i'm pretty solid. Heavier now with mass but less pft effective as far as pull ups go. I just want a couple of vets advice who can help me out.

Devil Dog74

Wrestlingkompressor is offline Associate Member
    I got a 310 out of a possible 300 for the Army's APFT waayyy back in high school. At one of the JROTC raider competitions, I didn't think it was too tough. I realized though that there are allloottt of kids those days that are extreamly out of shape. My wrestling coach took care of that

Wrestlingkompressor is offline Associate Member
    they were using an extended scale for some ironman APFT trophy.

So do i become a PT stud or achieve a body builder figure?

My future goal is to go to college.
    Walk-on to play some college ball. but i still got time left in the corp. I'd figure i might as well make the best of the corp while i can cuz i want to be able to perform the best.

Either 5-day split or stick with Armstrongs plan i know i'm limited to putting on weight due to the rigourous training i'll be getting when i go back to lejuene.

Devil Dog74

Thread Information