Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 56
  1. #1
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531

    Jbigdog69 has ruined my clave training!

    Well thanks to his advice of holding a contraction at the top i have been nuking my calves once a week and they literally are not recovering for the next session. Im gonna gave to start training them every 8th or 9th day! Anyone else find they need this kind of recovery for anything?

  2. #2
    LM1332 Guest
    so you are not doing heavy weight but rather mid light so that you can hold the weight at the top is that it?

  3. #3
    spywizard's Avatar
    spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In the Gym, if i could
    Posts
    16,350
    i thought everyone held at the top........ that's the pump..........
    The answer to your every question

    Rules

    A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.


    If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

    Why the Police will Kick your ass

  4. #4
    hotrod1's Avatar
    hotrod1 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    248
    thats the best way to train your calves bro.....slow and holding the contraction at the top. I love the feeling of the pump i get in my calves.

  5. #5
    hotrod1's Avatar
    hotrod1 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    248
    TRY THIS.........get on the seated calve(free weight version) put about 2 plates on it(or whatever weight you can get about 20 reps with at one time). Simply just go till you reach 100 reps....if you have to stop rest only 10 seconds and begin again until youve reached 100 reps with good form.

  6. #6
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Bro you trippin...

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    Well thanks to his advice of holding a contraction at the top i have been nuking my calves once a week and they literally are not recovering for the next session. Im gonna gave to start training them every 8th or 9th day! Anyone else find they need this kind of recovery for anything?
    What this tells me is that now that you are training them properly your calves are responding. However, even though you think your calves are not recovering fast enough, you need to work them more often. Sometimes it takes a good working for that sorness to go away sooner. Add some creatine or more of ot to your diet. Your calves must really be weak....but....anyways....it is good news to my ears when I hear something like this. By the way are you stretching and holding till those things start burning???

  7. #7
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69
    What this tells me is that now that you are training them properly your calves are responding. However, even though you think your calves are not recovering fast enough, you need to work them more often. Sometimes it takes a good working for that sorness to go away sooner. Add some creatine or more of ot to your diet. Your calves must really be weak....but....anyways....it is good news to my ears when I hear something like this. By the way are you stretching and holding till those things start burning???
    yeah. FYI i use the entire stack for 12 reps holding the contraction for about 5 seconds. And hotrod, my gym has no seated calve raise
    my routein looks like this
    2 sets each side of unilateral calve raises
    1 set max reps reverse calve raises (to work the front muscle as in putting my heels on the block and lifting the front of my feet)
    1 set whole stack calves
    1set reverse
    1 set whole stack calves. Absolultley no rest between sets, so its kinda one giant set.

  8. #8
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Keep going Bro...

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    yeah. FYI i use the entire stack for 12 reps holding the contraction for about 5 seconds. And hotrod, my gym has no seated calve raise
    my routein looks like this
    2 sets each side of unilateral calve raises
    1 set max reps reverse calve raises (to work the front muscle as in putting my heels on the block and lifting the front of my feet)
    1 set whole stack calves
    1set reverse
    1 set whole stack calves. Absolultley no rest between sets, so its kinda one giant set.
    However, you need to work them every other day. I want you to add standing calve raises with you own body weight to get a good pump. Should look like this...3 sets x 50 reps with a pause at the top on every 10th rep and hold for 5 seconds. This should bring a great pump and bring some condition to your calves. Let me know how this works. If your calve muscles are sore to the touch then weight to train. If your calves are just sore then hit em again. Peace

  9. #9
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69
    However, you need to work them every other day. I want you to add standing calve raises with you own body weight to get a good pump. Should look like this...3 sets x 50 reps with a pause at the top on every 10th rep and hold for 5 seconds. This should bring a great pump and bring some condition to your calves. Let me know how this works. If your calve muscles are sore to the touch then weight to train. If your calves are just sore then hit em again. Peace
    youre joking right train them every other day i did them yesterday and they are sore as hell. They dont hurt if i prod em, but they do hurt if i contract them.

  10. #10
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Ok then try this....

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    youre joking right train them every other day i did them yesterday and they are sore as hell. They dont hurt if i prod em, but they do hurt if i contract them.
    On the every other day method just do the 3 X 30 to 50 reps using your own body weight. This should get the sorness out and allow you to start weight training your calves at least twice per week.

  11. #11
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    I'm gonna try this next week. It sounds awesome. So 3x30-50 reps EOD is just to condition them?
    Seated calf raises is not as much a volume/mass builder as Standing calf machine, right?
    Reps 1-9 no pause but strict form and then 10th rep strict form and pause at the top? Complete 30 reps and call it a set? 30 seconds rest period and back into it?
    My calfs are only measuring 17 inches and I'm 6'3" Please help!1111

  12. #12
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Correct...

    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    I'm gonna try this next week. It sounds awesome. So 3x30-50 reps EOD is just to condition them?
    Seated calf raises is not as much a volume/mass builder as Standing calf machine, right?
    Reps 1-9 no pause but strict form and then 10th rep strict form and pause at the top? Complete 30 reps and call it a set? 30 seconds rest period and back into it?
    My calfs are only measuring 17 inches and I'm 6'3" Please help!1111
    You will get to a point where you can work them every other day...it takes me 20 minutes ballz to the wallz every other day...3 sets heavy sitting calve raises going up to 350lbs 10 to 12 reps per set. Then theres the leg press machine calve presses going up to 700lbs 3 sets 10 to 12 reps. Then i do standing calve raises 3 sets 10 to 12 reps. 400lbs Then after that I go to the stairs and do 3 x 50 with my own body weight pausing at the top of every 10th rep. The 20 seconds in between each set should be for a long holding stretch. If it starts to burn when stretching then hold them for another 10 seconds. This is part of the conditioning.

  13. #13
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    :Writing this down: I'm so psyched. I'm gonna hit my calves first for priority and second because I drive a six speed and working that clutch in traffic sucks.

  14. #14
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    OK here's the way I ran it:
    Seated calve raise: 1x12@135 1x12@180 1x10@225
    Leg press calves: 1x12@270 1x10@360 1x8@450
    Standing calve mach: 1x12@300 1x10@400 1x8@500
    Body weight calves/super set shin raises:
    1x30 1x40 1x50 pausing for 20 seconds at the top of every 10
    My calves were quaking when I was holding for 20 for that last excersise. Must have looked like I was doing a booty hop as some women were looking at me funny.
    But now I feel nothing.:/

  15. #15
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    When did you do this routine??

    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    OK here's the way I ran it:
    Seated calve raise: 1x12@135 1x12@180 1x10@225
    Leg press calves: 1x12@270 1x10@360 1x8@450
    Standing calve mach: 1x12@300 1x10@400 1x8@500
    Body weight calves/super set shin raises:
    1x30 1x40 1x50 pausing for 20 seconds at the top of every 10
    My calves were quaking when I was holding for 20 for that last excersise. Must have looked like I was doing a booty hop as some women were looking at me funny.
    But now I feel nothing.:/
    If it was today...then talk to me tomorrow afternoon. If still not sore then go heavier on seated calve raises.
    Last edited by jbigdog69; 07-22-2004 at 03:28 PM.

  16. #16
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    It was today. Now it's yesterday. (Oh no, Beatles song stuck in my head). I worked out at 10.5am and now it's 2:13am the next day. Swing shift sucks. I guess I just need to find the weight that works. That last set of seated calves felt like I was cheating for the last three reps. I guess I should have gone rest-pause and tried to do them slow and controlled. Or even just hit partial reps.

  17. #17
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    **** thats alot of sets for your calves! Im surprised youre walking!

  18. #18
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Actually sounds like you were to heavy.

    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    It was today. Now it's yesterday. (Oh no, Beatles song stuck in my head). I worked out at 10.5am and now it's 2:13am the next day. Swing shift sucks. I guess I just need to find the weight that works. That last set of seated calves felt like I was cheating for the last three reps. I guess I should have gone rest-pause and tried to do them slow and controlled. Or even just hit partial reps.
    Just remember this...when I go up with the weights I try to go all the way up on my toes and pause for a second on seated calve raises. Remember that controlled is the key to calves...NO CHEATING!!!!

  19. #19
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    I will be pausing for a second from now on. But it takes so much time.
    Should I do this after work? Mondays I usually hit chest and back and that takes like an hour or so. Tuesdays, shoulders and that takes close to two hours. Wednesdays, Legs and that takes close to two hours with this new calve routine.
    I'm thinking of taking advantage of my gym being open 24 hrs Mon-Wed nights and just doing calves on that time.
    I need more time for cardio and abs. I can walk for a half hour at work on my lunch break.
    Do 5 sets of roman chair every other day of 12-15 reps. Alternating days would be reverse crunches and side crunches.

  20. #20
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Exactly...

    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    I will be pausing for a second from now on. But it takes so much time.
    Should I do this after work? Mondays I usually hit chest and back and that takes like an hour or so. Tuesdays, shoulders and that takes close to two hours. Wednesdays, Legs and that takes close to two hours with this new calve routine.
    I'm thinking of taking advantage of my gym being open 24 hrs Mon-Wed nights and just doing calves on that time.
    I need more time for cardio and abs. I can walk for a half hour at work on my lunch break.
    Do 5 sets of roman chair every other day of 12-15 reps. Alternating days would be reverse crunches and side crunches.
    I work my calves at night if I don't have time in the morning.

  21. #21
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    That's what I'm gonna have to do. I was at the gym a little after 10:30 and didn't leave until after noon.
    I'll just have to hit it up after midnight for my calve program. No adult swim tonight.

  22. #22
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    ok did calves yesterday
    2 sets unilateral calf raises each side 45kgs
    1 set 50 reps front raises, pausing for a second at the top and holding for 5 every 5th.
    1 set full stack, standing calves 14 reps, pausing for 2-4 seconds at the top
    1 set stand bw raises 30 to complete fail,pausing for a second at the top and holding for 5 every 5th.
    The rest i took between sets was around 10 seconds, which was teh time ti too to reconfigure the claf machine etc.
    i couldnt even get lift my heels off the floor after that.

  23. #23
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    OK here's what I did last night.
    Seated Calve Raises
    1x13@135, 1x10@180, 1x8@225
    Leg Press Calve Extensions
    1x14@360, 1x14@420, 1x8@510
    Standing Calve Machine
    1x10@360, 1x7@400, 1x7@500
    Seeing as I wasn't able to crank out the same reps as when I started this program, I did the tibial excersises first when it came to the body weight sets. Tibs first then super setted claves.
    Tibs
    1x20hold20sec21-30, 1x40holding every 10th, 1x50holding every 10th
    1x30holding every 10th, 1x40holding every 10th, 1x50holding every 10th
    Also this time go round, I held at the top of every movement for a full second. I think that's more a reason why I couldn't get the reps out that I did the first time. I guess next time I'll come down in weight so I can go back up in reps. I'll also make a mental effort to walk around using my calves all the time from now on. I don't feel so sore because I hardly use 'em just walking around.

  24. #24
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    How do they feel today??

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    ok did calves yesterday
    2 sets unilateral calf raises each side 45kgs
    1 set 50 reps front raises, pausing for a second at the top and holding for 5 every 5th.
    1 set full stack, standing calves 14 reps, pausing for 2-4 seconds at the top
    1 set stand bw raises 30 to complete fail,pausing for a second at the top and holding for 5 every 5th.
    The rest i took between sets was around 10 seconds, which was teh time ti too to reconfigure the claf machine etc.
    i couldnt even get lift my heels off the floor after that.

  25. #25
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    I almost forgot to mention...."very important"

    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    OK here's what I did last night.
    Seated Calve Raises
    1x13@135, 1x10@180, 1x8@225
    Leg Press Calve Extensions
    1x14@360, 1x14@420, 1x8@510
    Standing Calve Machine
    1x10@360, 1x7@400, 1x7@500
    Seeing as I wasn't able to crank out the same reps as when I started this program, I did the tibial excersises first when it came to the body weight sets. Tibs first then super setted claves.
    Tibs
    1x20hold20sec21-30, 1x40holding every 10th, 1x50holding every 10th
    1x30holding every 10th, 1x40holding every 10th, 1x50holding every 10th
    Also this time go round, I held at the top of every movement for a full second. I think that's more a reason why I couldn't get the reps out that I did the first time. I guess next time I'll come down in weight so I can go back up in reps. I'll also make a mental effort to walk around using my calves all the time from now on. I don't feel so sore because I hardly use 'em just walking around.
    Extra conditioning done twice a week...after calves go straight to the treadmill....raise to incline #5+ and power walk concentrating on your calves for 10 minutes...it will start to burn...oooohhh yea!! Watchem grow!!!

  26. #26
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    I'll try that Wednessday.

  27. #27
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Oh yea!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    I'll try that Wednessday.
    I also walk backwards for about 2 to 3 minutes out of the 10. (for the front of calves) Have fun!!!
    Last edited by jbigdog69; 07-28-2004 at 08:48 AM.

  28. #28
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    cool.

  29. #29
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by jbigdog69
    They are still sore today. I may work them tomorrow if they feel better, but use the leg press machine instead.

  30. #30
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Great News!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    They are still sore today. I may work them tomorrow if they feel better, but use the leg press machine instead.
    Just go for the conditioning using your own body weight. Hope your measuring.

  31. #31
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    I had a crappy day. Got to the gym and had to hurry thru sets. And the leg press machine and standing calve machine were busy when I got off the seated calve machine.
    1x15@135, 1x12@180, 1x8@225. I'm un able to reach the top for the last rep and put the machine on the start rack. I have to bail on the machine that last rep every time. Is this normal or over training?
    45ºdonkey calve machine
    1x8@120, 1x8@90, 1x10@75. I was not sure where to start at because I rarely use this machine. So I ended up doing drop sets.
    Standing calve machine
    1x15@360, 1x9@380, 1x10@480
    Did sets of tibial excersises in between sets of 30 reps with a flex pause every 10th rep. Didn't have time for all the conditioning body weight stuff.
    Then I did Full Squats on a racked back smith machine
    1x10@135, 1x6@225, 1x8@205
    Deads
    1x8@135, 1x8@205
    Bent over glute machine, which has no stickers on the plates, so I can't tell what I'm lifting.
    1x12@6 plates, 1x10@8, 1x8@10 plates
    Standing Leg curls individually
    1x8@30, 1x8@20, 1x8@10. The weight listed is what I had to drop to to complete the set.
    Then Roman Chair for abs
    1x7 1x10 1x13 1x7
    No cardio, but that's ok. I lost 4 pounds from Saturday. Pisses me off. I'm under weight by the height chart, but I got a lil' gut going on.

  32. #32
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Nah...

    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Is this normal or over training?
    This is simply refered to as "failure"...you should feel this on everything you do!!!!

  33. #33
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    63190, how often are you working youre calves? Im still only doing them once a week. They are needing all six days in between to rest!
    Come on Jbigdog i know you wanna tell me to up the frequency .

  34. #34
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    Stop slacking!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    63190, how often are you working youre calves? Im still only doing them once a week. They are needing all six days in between to rest!
    Come on Jbigdog i know you wanna tell me to up the frequency .
    You have to psuh your smaller muscle groups more often to make them grow!!!!

  35. #35
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    EOD, Prime. I'm not even sore today, I'm pissed. Calves are a puny 15".
    How much rest should I get between sets? A friend of mine going for MD says 1-2 minutes gets you better results for bulk and strength.
    Last edited by 63190; 07-29-2004 at 01:56 PM.

  36. #36
    jbigdog69's Avatar
    jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Euphoria
    Posts
    2,129

    I stretch after every set and hold for 1 to 1.5 minutes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    EOD, Prime. I'm not even sore today, I'm pissed. Calves are a puny 15".
    How much rest should I get between sets? A friend of mine going for MD says 1-2 minutes gets you better results for bulk and strength.
    He is definetly correct....(Higher Test level's)

  37. #37
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    Alrighty then.

  38. #38
    thetank's Avatar
    thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    im natty.no source cheks
    Posts
    2,165
    Calves are the only thing I dont train to failure. well i dont train them at all anymore, but when I did, if i tried 2 hold a rep at the top, they would knot up so bad if i didnt let go it felt like they were going to rip clean off...anyone else have this problem? I found it pretty frustrating..with that all or nothing mentality, i jsut stopped training them.

  39. #39
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    how about an experiment?
    My calves are a pretty simmilar size to 63190's. Ill work mine once a week going to total failure
    he works them EOD and in two months we'll measure again and see who has gotten the most growth.
    Last edited by Prime; 07-30-2004 at 07:15 AM.

  40. #40
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    scratch that. I think mine are beginning to acclimatise to the sessions. Ill train em twice a week Monday and thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •