Beernutz is offline Member

Pump necessary for growth???

Ive heard alot of different opinions on this subject. Ive read that the only way to get your muscles to grow is to get a skin stretching pump. What do you guys think?

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Thats just all the blood rushing into your muscles, it helps protien synth if you get a huge pump and they will prolly grow bigger, but even small pumps will produce growth.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    yea, what soldier said...... shocking your mucles with new routines, weight, reps, intensity, diff principles makes you grow

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Hm, interesting. I think to a point, yes, it has some value. But it's nothing more the blood volume, which carries essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids to the muscle which help in the repair and ultimately, growth.

But I find I grow only when I use moderately heavy weights at reps between 4-8.

I guess for everyone it's different, but a pump helps.

Beernutz is offline Member
    last year i bought a training program from the internet written by Jonathan Perez i dont know if anyone has ever heard of him. Newayz he preaches to the death that growth only occurs when you train with reps of 15-20 with 30 seconds rest between sets. He says its essential to get a huge skin stretching pump inorder to grow. He says once you have a full strong pump you should move on to the next muslce. He uses olympic gymnists as his example of truth. He says all they do it high intense repetitions of dips, pullups, and pushups giving them a huge pump and thats all. He says training heavy only make your joints and tendons get stronger and it only allows naturally larger pple to grow. I tried his program for about 5 months, and i got extremely weak..lol...and i never grew an inch. So maybe the pump isnt all that important.

BodyMechanic is offline Senior Member
    imo i don't think it is. I too have tried that high rep bull sh** for the last few years simply because of pain in different areas,got better pumps but i didn't grow at all.So i am back to the heavy training routine and am getting results.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beernutz
    last year i bought a training program from the internet written by Jonathan Perez i dont know if anyone has ever heard of him. Newayz he preaches to the death that growth only occurs when you train with reps of 15-20 with 30 seconds rest between sets.
    So you get very tired very quickly and hopefully give up and buy more programs?

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Bro, for two years I worked out for the "pump". But I gained little size, and little strength, even when I was bulking. I looked good after a workout, but that was it. So I pretty much gave up on it, and started going heavier not being concerned with getting a pump. So far I gained 13 pounds in three months, and have gained more size and strength during those three months, than I have during those two years working out for the pump. But eveyone is different I guess. So go with whatever works for you.

jonnytour is offline Member
    I am currently trying a high rep low rest time workout (german Volume Training/10 sets Method) I'll let u know ow it turns out.

i just finished up german volume........its fun to go back to your old workouts and be able to complete sets/reps with way higher weight, easily

that **** is for real and it works if u stick to it

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    personally I love the pumps & believe its mostly essential. High volume sets. But I also mix it up. Some muscell groups respond well to pumps depending on the ratio of slow & fast twitch fibers

Cyto78 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beernutz
    last year i bought a training program from the internet written by Jonathan Perez i dont know if anyone has ever heard of him. Newayz he preaches to the death that growth only occurs when you train with reps of 15-20 with 30 seconds rest between sets. He says its essential to get a huge skin stretching pump inorder to grow. He says once you have a full strong pump you should move on to the next muslce. He uses olympic gymnists as his example of truth. He says all they do it high intense repetitions of dips, pullups, and pushups giving them a huge pump and thats all. He says training heavy only make your joints and tendons get stronger and it only allows naturally larger pple to grow. I tried his program for about 5 months, and i got extremely weak..lol...and i never grew an inch. So maybe the pump isnt all that important.

Thats funny I also purchased his program and have had some of the most amzing gains of my life.If you do his program exactly as he has it laid out as I did I think it is awesome........everything he says in regards to how inmates and gymnists as well as sprinters train is the truth........Like he said inmates are some of the largest most powerful weight lifters in the world and this "is" how most of them train.........as well as gymnists the look speaks for itself.........

decadbal is offline Banned
    one word for ya.... duh

cokdiesl is offline Junior Member
    i actually get a "pump" after my first warm-up set i dont know what that means but say i'm working bi's it feels and looks like they are going to explode after my warm ups and as soon as i go into my working sets the pump goes away...

jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm going heavier than usual for the past 2 months along with my trainer/partner and I'm growing like a weed. I don't get the massive pumps that I would from high reps but the growth is obvious. I'm up almost 10 pounds and my clothes are tighter.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    I think the primary key to muscle growth is failure, not pump. When your muscle fails to be able to do something, that sends a signal that it's time to grow bigger to avoid failing next time. There's a lot of other factors included of course. Just because your muscle wants to grow, doesn't mean it can without blood [nutrients, water, oxygen, etc.]

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member

the pump

"the greatest feeling you can have in a gym is called the pump. Lets say you train your biceps blood is rushing to your arms and they blow up like someone is blowing air into them. It feels different it feels fantastic. It feels almost as good as cumming is with a woman. So can you imagine the feeling im having? im cumming in the gym, im cumming when i pump up back stage it feels like im cumming all the time"

----Govenator Arnold Schwarzenegger from Pumping Iron

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    You need to get pumped and get blood flowing to the muscle. If you don't experience a pump, then you haven't worked the muscle enough for your body to think it needs any extra oxygen or nutritien. You don't need to feel sore however. The soreness is lactic acid on the muscles and actually breaks down muscle cells if left on for too long.

Thread Information