Thread: ok abs question

djcyph is offline New Member

ok abs question

ok i know abs need rest like all other muscles. but what do you guys reccommend for rest? should you do abs every other day or every 2 days? what do you guys think? and what are some killer routines that have been working great for you guys? thanks

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    i work abs once a week. . sometime twice (3 days apart)

my routine is always 5 sets of 25 switching around from: rope crunches, reverse crunches, leg raise, regualr crunches, bicycle. w/e i feel like doin that day, it changes every week

DcB

BIP0LAR is offline New Member
    7 minute abs is the key. not 6, but 7.

Nah J/K. i do abs every other day MWF. One day i will focus on rep and then other days i will do weight. I do alot of leg lifts too those will really bring in the v-line, or have for me. For me the biggest thing is to really focus on squeezing your ab muscles and releasing and not using momentum.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Only working abs once a week is not the way to go IMO.

When training abs, in one session, nobody trains them with a workload comparable to any other muscle group. You might be able to get away with training chest, legs, or back once per week because most people who do that do many more sets than they do for an abs workout. I prefer 2-3 times a week, 3 exercises at 2-3 sets each keeping the rep range from 10-20 per set. IMO anything from EOD to twice a week is prudent for abdominal work.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I work mine 2x a week, used to work them 4-5x a week and just wasn't seeing results cause they weren't getting enough rest. Some of my favorite ab exercise are Hanging Leg Lifts, Reverse Incline Crunches, Cable Crunches, Decline Situps.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Only working abs once a week is not the way to go IMO.

When training abs, in one session, nobody trains them with a workload comparable to any other muscle group. You might be able to get away with training chest, legs, or back once per week because most people who do that do many more sets than they do for an abs workout. I prefer 2-3 times a week, 3 exercises at 2-3 sets each keeping the rep range from 10-20 per set. IMO anything from EOD to twice a week is prudent for abdominal work.
    I disagree, but thats just me. i see my best results when i do them once a week. i also think there work load is heavier then one thinks. they are part of your core and are worked in just about everything you do. but again, just my .02 cents

sidenote: cardio is the best ab exercise

dcb

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIP0LAR
    7 minute abs is the key. not 6, but 7
    Seven. Minute. Aa-abs. Sumthin about Mary. Hi-larious.

ttuPrincess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dalcowbag

dcb
    certain kinds of cardio.. riding a bike is not cause your sitting which you will relax your abs..

eliptical, stairmaster or treadmill are much better choices..

I know most of you guys will laugh at this, but take a pillates class...

pillates trains your core... I promise you will see improvements!!!

I'm not saying it cannot work but with the training split and abdominal workouts most people follow, once per week is not enough. Would I be correct if were to guess that you have been an athlete all your life? You probably have a good base and maintenance is all you need.

The work that abdominals get from doing other exercises is minimal and often overstated IMO because they are just isometrically contracting in a secondary or tertiary stabilization role unless you are doing some sport specific or unique strongman exercises (one arm deads, overhead squats, dumbell snatches) but hardly anyone does these.

But again, do what works for you. You are way ahead of the curve having figured that out. Good debate people keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by dalcowbag
    I disagree, but thats just me. i see my best results when i do them once a week. i also think there work load is heavier then one thinks. they are part of your core and are worked in just about everything you do. but again, just my .02 cents

dcb

Hey sweety, lol, glad to see you in this forum. I think he means it in the sense that if you are fat you won't see abs.

Chico ---> @ Pilates

Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    certain kinds of cardio.. riding a bike is not cause your sitting which you will relax your abs..

eliptical, stairmaster or treadmill are much better choices..

I know most of you guys will laugh at this, but take a pillates class...

pillates trains your core... I promise you will see improvements!!!

ttuPrincess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Chico ---> @ Pilates
    i knew you would laugh at that .. it was a shameless plug at what I assistant teach, but hey it works!

LM1332 Guest
    i dont know i do or did abs 3 times a week but i did em hardcore for about 20 or so minutes and they were hard as a rock.

Devil Dog74 is offline Associate Member
    Actually the abdominal area heals alot faster than the other muscles of the body. I work my abs 7 days a week. And still carry the six package. It took forever because i had a gut at first. i take 20 minutes to do my abs and carry a good head over my shoulders when i'm finished each day.

Devil Dog74

Thread Information