Fif the Great is offline Associate Member

Smaller Guy's Advantage

I just thought I'd throw this out there and get a few comments from some of you. Do you find that it is easier for guys with smaller, more compact frames to hit more reps, especially in the bench press? The fact that their range of motion is much shorter than that of a guy with lanky arms. One of my workout partners is a smaller guy with shorter arms. He gets more reps with the saem weight than I do, but I don't find him to be stronger than I am.
    Also, the size of the guy affects the way his muscles are percieved. A guy 5'5 with 15" biceps will be percieved to have a much larger arm than a guy 6'0 with 15" biceps. I know I hate this because I am a taller guy with long, lanky arms. It's very hard to get my bicep to increase in size just because of the sheer length of my arm.

What do you guys think?

And any ideas on a good biceps workout for us longer-armed guys?

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    barbell curls, close grip and wide grip

iv got a pretty good wing span being 6'2" tall

my bi's are 18".

guys that are shorter do have a shorter range of motion

just remember 15" 's is 15" 's. If you want a little ego booster
    have him stand in front of you , both of you facing a mirror throw up a double bicep pose your arm will dwarf his cause your muscle is longer

Does a pound of bricks weigh more than a pound of feathers?

Terinox is offline The One & Only

My friend is exactly like you. I'm only 5'6 and he is 6+ and he gets pissed off sometimes. He calls me pudgy, and stubby, and "the baby powerlifter" cause of my height!!! It cracks me up each time. We are still basically the same strength. But yes, I have to move the weight less then he does, his long ass arms!!!

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Thumbs up

Sure enough....

Training as a powerlifter for the past 2 ½ yrs, I know this tale all too well. Yes, it's DEFINATELY an advantage for the shorter guys.

Tsunami is offline Associate Member
    Does a pound of bricks weigh more than a pound of feathers?
    I don't know does it?

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

I have noticed this many times

Yes I would have to agree that shorter guy's can put on mass much easier than taller guy's. Unfortuneatly when the taller competitors do catch up it does look much more impressive in my opion. I'm only 5'6" and I do not think that I will ever see 250 lbs however this is not the case for someone with a much bigger frame. But then again you always have your special circunstances, just look at Lee Preist.
    IC

Tsunami is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by BaSe
    dont get discouraged, i would take taller anyday, your upside is so much better, may take you longer, but in the end youll be that much bigger
    true but us shorter guys get there faster.

Core is offline Junior Member
    I definitely feel like I have an advantage over the taller guys. But I would give it up for a couple more inches. Hey, you tall bastards gotta give us something.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I,m 5 10 and have long arms and real trouble getting my biceps bigger no matter what I do they don,t grow.I have long arms as well they can often be seen dragging on the floor ah well maybe shorter guys do have an advantage but as I,m stuck in the middle I have no advantages!!

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Billy Boy
    I,m 5 10 and have long arms and real trouble getting my biceps bigger no matter what I do they don,t grow.I have long arms as well they can often be seen dragging on the floor ah well maybe shorter guys do have an advantage but as I,m stuck in the middle I have no advantages!!
    But we love ya Billy, you are one of the great gifts that AR has given us brother.

Fif the Great is offline Associate Member
    Us tall guys may have problems getting bigger arms and putting on mass, but we're better at basketball.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Most deffinently

Originally posted by Canes4Ever

But we love ya Billy, you are one of the great gifts that AR has given us brother.
    That is so true Canes, Billy, your the best.
    IC

mc_ake is offline Banned
    Just look at andrew reignes basically?

maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    I THINK THATS ALL A BUNCH OF CRAP IM 5.7 AND SOME TALLER GUYS ALWAYS SAY THERES LESS RANGE OF MOTION WRONG ITS THE SAME ONLY ITS RELATIVE TO THE LIFTER A CURL IS ACURL SO IS PRESS OR ANY OTHER LIFT IF YOIU COMPARE OF COURSE ITS DIFFERENT BUT IF I SQUAT I MIGHT GET THERE FASTER BUT THE DEGREE OR ANGLE IS THE SAME AS A TALLER LIFTER ITS ALL MATHEMATICAL A TWO INCH TRIANGLE HAS THE SAME ANGLE AS A 6 INCH TRIANGLE, HEY SORRY I SAID SO MUCH BUT IT REALLY HIT NERVE

thegame01 is offline Member
    do short people grow more ? i think so i think shorter people have better genetics to grow huge due to the fact they are short and look even bigger ,look at priest.It's all about illusions

The whole range of motion thing though,i dont know .It depends . My bro is 6'2" and i am 5'8" and when we bench i will tell you i have a longer range of motion .

You ask how could it be ? Well the fact that he is so big and has bigger pecs than i do means he doesnt have to go as far down as i have to .We all know that the bottom of the range in something like bench is the hardest point thats why so many bouce it off.

The moral of the story is it depends on every person ,no two people are built the same .It depends on arm (lenght) chest (thickness), age,yrs training,diet,juice etc . i dont like when people say "the only reason you lift more then me is ...."

The fact of the matter is i do end of conversation.Besides that would fall under ego lifting .Who gives a shit what the next guy lifts ,it;s about you and how much you can push and how much you are improving .

too many factors too compare thats all .
    As far as the workouts go ,you guy's arn't cripple or nothing so as far as i know it would be the same workouts to build bicep as the short guy.there are diferent angles to attack thickness,height(peak),outside ,inside etc etc. whatever is your weak points .

sorry for the long reply ( i have no life hehe )

cube is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by maguilagorilla
    I THINK THATS ALL A BUNCH OF CRAP IM 5.7 AND SOME TALLER GUYS ALWAYS SAY THERES LESS RANGE OF MOTION WRONG ITS THE SAME ONLY ITS RELATIVE TO THE LIFTER A CURL IS ACURL SO IS PRESS OR ANY OTHER LIFT IF YOIU COMPARE OF COURSE ITS DIFFERENT BUT IF I SQUAT I MIGHT GET THERE FASTER BUT THE DEGREE OR ANGLE IS THE SAME AS A TALLER LIFTER ITS ALL MATHEMATICAL A TWO INCH TRIANGLE HAS THE SAME ANGLE AS A 6 INCH TRIANGLE, HEY SORRY I SAID SO MUCH BUT IT REALLY HIT NERVE
    its not a question of angles, its a matter of basic physics: the longer your arms, the further you move the bar when bench pressing, therefore the more effort you need to accomplish it.

i agree with others who say it's harder to look impressive when you are tall. i'm 6'4 with long arms. even though i now weigh 280, my arms still don't look very impressive.

I'm short, 5'5, and have found that I have a lot of strength.

Nathan5252 is offline New Member
    yea, it is tougher for the bigger guys. smaller guys normal have lower BF% too, a buddy of mine who is prolly 5"4' looks soo cut and he rarely works out. its cuz hes small and everything on him looks big

BLOOD is offline Associate Member
    I'm all confused :confusion:

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    i dont think samller guys have less bf that taller guys coz ectomorphs have the ability to lose fat more than endomorph guys

babi is offline Associate Member
    what you have stated its true its easier to lift for a shorter man than a taller man for a tall man to achieve the same goals in bb as a short man may take twice as much but nevertheless if you are tall and big thats the best

yea smaller guys get the advantage one this one

$uperman is offline Member
    i agree... shorter guys w/ a stocky frame and short arms dont have to bend their elbows as much on the way down.

diesel21 is offline Member
    don't diss on us short guys! lol.. i'm 5'6. with 17 inch bi's.. what i hear from the top guys i know is that short guys have an advantage benching and tall guys have an advantage with back.. )pulling excersice.

i think its a bunch of bull! it all depends on the individual person.. i know tall guys that are better in bench and weaker in back.. it all depends.. i don't have any problems with and body part..( i've been training for 6 yrs though)

Thread Information