worldknown is offline Banned

squatting wrong?

hey guys i started squatting 2 weeks ago and i got extremely soar the firs ttime i did it, to the point where i had to use my hands to lower myself on the john and i could feel it as soon as i was done with my first set, this week i tried to squat again and i couldnt feel it at all, and wasnt even soar, maybe i wasnt putting enough pressure on my heel or my ass wasnt stuck out far enough or maybe my form was ****ed up, any suggestiosn guys? Thanks

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    First time doing heavy squats always makes you more sore than the subsequent workouts of that muscle group.

nah, you were doing them right. later on down the road, when you start to have your legs give out on you when you take out the trash, or its hard to push down the gas pedal driving home from the gym, because you've had such a good leg workout, your gonna love it.

just whatever you do, keep your form good, and dont do a good morning type squat on the way up if the weight is too heavy, you mess yourself up thatway.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Make sure youre going to parallel... that is, quads parallel with the floor. Try leg extentions after a few sets of squats and hold at the top for a second or two.

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Make sure youre going to parallel... that is, quads parallel with the floor. Try leg extentions after a few sets of squats and hold at the top for a second or two.
    Parallel? Go lower than that, go as far as you can go without sacrificing form.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    Parallel? Go lower than that, go as far as you can go without sacrificing form.
    I'm gonna disagree with this commandment of bodybuilding. Actually it's a powerlifting commandment. The reason being, when you go below parallel on squats a lot of stress is placed on your glutes and lower back.

If you find that your ass is growing too much, or your lower back is getting overworked, try going just to parallel. When doing these squats, try keep your feet less than shoulder width apart, toes pointed straight ahead. Keep your back straight and your upper body perpendicular to the floor. This is a bodybuilding style squat and you'll find that you won't be able to handle as much weight, but in return your quads will get a better workout.

nsa
    I think you will be able to do more weight going parallel regardless of form than ass to the floor.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    I think you will be able to do more weight going parallel regardless of form than ass to the floor.
    Probably depends on the individual. Try to keep your feet very close together and a back perpendicular to the floor. My squat goes down 20% or more, and I feel it primarily in my quads.

i used to squat deep 365-405 for reps, but had to change things up b.c. my glutes were growing too much.

Thread Information