Thread: need ideas

sexybunny is offline Female Member

need ideas

does anyone have any good workout ideas that target your back...i go to an all girls gym so there arent a lot of machines, and the one that i know is for your back i cant use because of a problem with my shoulders..so im really looking for something with dumbells...

thanks for your help

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    what kinds of exercises do you have problems with?

i cant do anything really that puts my arms past my sides, right about when i get even with my body my shoulder clicks and sometime REALLY hurts...so like flys, and there was something else that the lady at the gym told me to do but that still hurt

wow that rules out alot of back exercises. you could try doing deadlifts with light weight

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Dumbell lat raises- grab an adjustable bench and put right knee and left hand on bench, left foot on floor. With right hand grab dumbell and let it hang, raise it up toward your body, keeping it close to your torso, untill it touches your ribs. You should feel the lats being worked.

Shrugs- I dont know how many girls use shrugs, but they work upper back. stand feet together w/ dumbells at your sides. Shrug your shoulders and go 2sec up, hold 2sec, lower 2sec. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Dumbell deadlift- basically the same thing as barbel but w/ dumbels, works lower back mostly, legs a bit.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    I'm not sure what you mean...(regarding how you are hurt...)

You should really deal with that first...as it will hinder most if not any exercises you do... go to a doctor, and find out why it hurts.. and do something about it...

Try low rows and lat pulldowns.. and see if that hurts to begin with... I know it's not DB's... but try it...

Also, PM the admin and request access to the Female-only forum... you profile makes it appear you are male, and this could get confusing...

The females in the female-only forums, and would be an asset to help you with things later on as well...

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Devil Dog74 is offline Associate Member
    if u want huge lats try doing dead hang chins or pulls gets you the back you want. and when you are ready for the next step try doing them with weight.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Sexbunny, sounds to me most weight is hurting you. You have limited range of motion. Not good as most exercises require it unless you do specific training like partials. This is what I suggest. See a doctor first. And as for exercises I would have to say just strengthen you lower back with hyper-extentions using your own bodyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Sexbunny, sounds to me most weight is hurting you. You have limited range of motion. Not good as most exercises require it unless you do specific training like partials. This is what I suggest. See a doctor first. And as for exercises I would have to say just strengthen you lower back with hyper-extentions using your own bodyweight.
    I think seeing a physical therapist would be better than seeing a doctor. but yeah get it checked out if it really bothers you that much.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    2 things sexybunny,

1.) Definitely see a physio and/or chiropractor about that shoulder(s). Getting this injury taken care of before you start training will likely save you a more serious future injury.
    2.) Send a private message to a mod or admin asking for female forum access. The gals here will bend over backwards to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by sexybunny
    i cant do anything really that puts my arms past my sides, right about when i get even with my body my shoulder clicks and sometime REALLY hurts...so like flys, and there was something else that the lady at the gym told me to do but that still hurt

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    2 things sexybunny,

1.) Definitely see a physio and/or chiropractor about that shoulder(s). Getting this injury taken care of before you start training will likely save you a more serious future injury.
    2.) Send a private message to a mod or admin asking for female forum access. The gals here will bend over backwards to help you.
    Pffft... you just copied what IIII say ...jk...

doby48 is offline Female Member
    like everyone said, see a doctor and get that issue addressed first. exercising with an existing injury can just make things worse... that being said, i am not exactly sure of the range of motion you have but here are some ideas that don't really require your arms to really go past your sides:

Barbell or Dumbbell Shrugs
    Deadlifts
    Dumbbell Pullovers
    Pull Ups
    Dumbbell or Body Weight Good Mornings
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

i have seen a dr but ive been told that nothing is wrong and its perfectly fine for me to work ouot but if it starts to click then i should stop that,anmd try something new...

thanks for you help...
    who are the mods/admins, so i can ask about the female forums

i have seen a dr but ive been told that nothing is wrong and its perfectly fine for me to work ouot but if it starts to click then i should stop that,anmd try something new...

thanks for you help...
    Go to the main page, and look at the bottom... the names online that appear in blue are MODS...

I imagine if you PM the fellow named 'system admin', he should be able to hook you up.

Good luck.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    If a joint simply clicks or makes a popping sound when it is put through its range of motion and the movement is pain free then doctors will say it's nothing to worry about. However, since your shoulder is causeing you pain I encourage you to see another doc.

When you look through threads and see a post where a person's name is in blue, that person is a Moderator. Click on thier name, which makes a menu appear, and click the 'Send ____ a Private Message' option.

thanks for you help...

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Get a second opinion like chica said. Evan a chiropractor if their good. They helped me tremendously
    Last edited by bluethunder; 07-28-2004 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spell

Thread Information